Corsair Community

Corsair M90 versus Razer Naga

VonSchpam

Hello,

I've been using a Razer Naga MMO Mouse for a while now because I find having a large number of configurable buttons accessible to my right (Mouse) hand a very flexible advantage while playing both MMORPG's and Action Games.

However, while I have no serious complaint about my Naga, I felt there was room for some improvements. Until now, I felt that there was no other Mouse that compared to a Razer Naga in it's utility. The SteelSeries MMO Mouse was close... but not enough to replace the Naga as an option.

So when Corsair announced details about their new M90 MMO Mouse, I was instantly curious and wanted to see if Corsair could do better then Razers' Naga.

Now that I finally have one to try out, I think Corsair's M90 has made several advances over the design of the Razer Naga making it a proper contender as my mouse of choice (almost).

Firstly, ergonomically, The Naga is smaller and too narrow for my hand. Long play sessions can leave my hand cramped all along the floating "pinky" side of my hand which has no support to rest on the Naga itself. The M90 is wider at the palm, which feels better. The Naga has no weighted feel to it and using it side-by-side with the weighted body of the M90 reveals a clear difference. The M90 simply feels more solid in my hand on the Aluminum Mouse surface I use. I like that improvement a lot as it improves the tactile sensation of the mouse in my opinion.

The Buttons on the Naga were big plus for me. I like buttons. The Naga has more of them, 12 in fact (not counting the standard mouse buttons). Enough buttons to bind the entire ability bar of an MMORPG from 1-9, 0, - and +. That's a pretty significant advantage that I was able to put to good use. However, the buttons are arranged in a generic rectangular grid with very little ergonomic shape to them. To fit 12 of them on the side of the Naga, the buttons are fairly small. It takes getting use to the tactile feel of the small buttons and lots of practice training your thumb to remember where to press each one when needed (which, to be fair, I am able to do).

One of the features of the M90 that immediately drew my attention, was the layout of the Thumb-grid buttons. A much more ergonomic layout with larger shaped buttons being used. So far, this new layout feels like an improvement, but it is a bit of a trade off with the loss of 3 additional buttons. It is, after all, useful being able to bind an entire ability bar to the mouse when playing an MMORPG. Perhaps a future design could find a place for the missing 3 buttons someplace other then under the thumb. Maybe near the ring or under utilized pinky fingers. Maybe a short 4way HAT-switch at the thumbs neutral "home" position where there is currently no button. That would add 4 more buttons which would exceed the Naga's offering.

An unexpected improvement over the Naga I own, is the solid aluminum Mouse wheel. I did not expect this to be as appreciable as it is, but I am delightfully surprised. The wheel is weighted better and while it appears strangely off-center, it isn't bent from being misaligned during manufacturing as it seemed to me at first. Instead it's angled towards your index finger to make it more responsive to press. It may be a minor thing to some people, but I found it to be a thoughtful consideration Corsair put into the design.

Overall, I find the M90 to have many improvements over my existing Razer Naga. However, there is one area that the Razer Naga is still better then the M90. Sadly, despite all the positive improvements in the design, the M90 falls short in the area of it's software profiler. This prevents me from fully adopting the M90 as a solid replacement Mouse for the Razer Naga.

At the heart of a proper MMO Mouse is the Software Profilers' ability to configure all those extra buttons in the way I need them work.

Firstly... out of the box... I could find no documentation on how to use the Profiler or any of it's functions. This made for a rather awkward "trial by error" method of figuring out how to configure mouse. Even now, I'm not sure if I fully understand how it works, so I apologize if the following examples missed out on something obvious to Corsair's Engineers.

The first thing I usually bind to any mouse I'm going to use is my VoIP Push-to-Talk key (PPT Transmit Key). In this case, I use TeamSpeak 3 as my VoIP of choice currently. On the Razer Naga, it is a simple matter to assign any keyboard button to the thumb-grid buttons. These include all the modifier keys including Left/Right Windows key. The M90 Profiler, doesn't appear to recognize the Windows key and guess which key I usually assign as my PPT input?. By default, the Naga's thumb-grid mimics the Number Pad or the 1-9,0 - and + keys. On The Razer Naga these keys appear to function no different then standard keyboard inputs when bound to do so. In other words, they are not treated as "Macro's" which is where I think the problem lye's with the M90 profiler.

Not only could I not bind the Windows key, but none of the keys I've bound function as a PPT key in TeamSpeak because of this.

Judging from the behavior of the M90 when a single keyboard button is bound to it... it appears as though the M90 is not binding the button to act like a keyboard input. I can bind the "P" key to the M90 thumb buttons, and the M90 will input "P" when pressed so I can repeat "P" over and over in notepad. TeamSpeak will acknowledge the "P" key but not as a PPT input. It's as if the M90 is not holding down "P" when pressed, but is instead tapping P repeatedly (much too quickly at that).

This behavior simply will not do.

I have, so far, found no way around this and I believe it is how the M90 Profiler behaves. If I'm missing something obvious, I blame your lack of proper documentation with the Mouse on first use.

The "P" key example behaves as if it's a macro. When set in the Profile it binds a "Pressed" action and a "Released" action for the input. I can delete the release action and TeamSpeak's PPT will respond by holding open the Transmit button (forever) until I press "P" on the keyboard. I even tried toggling the M90's profiler option to press and hold the key when pushed.

This shortcoming unfortunately earns a failing grade as a replacement MMO mouse over the Naga and makes it hard to adopt it as a replacement Mouse (even though I really really want it too for all the other things it does better then the Naga). Afterall, if I can't configure the Mouse to adapt to how I need it to be... then it isn't very beneficial if I am force to adapt to the limitations of the Profiler software instead.

All is not lost or without hope though. I do see things worthy of some praise in the M90 Profiler. I do like the advantage of saving profiles directly to the mouse itself. Also, I noticed what appears to be a toggle to use the Profiler to configure multiple controllers, such as the Corsair Keyboard, within the same instance of the application. This was something I wished my Razer Profiler would do. I also use a Razer Lycosa and a Razer Nostromo, but they each need their own separate running Profilers to configure each of them. So, the ability to save the configuration directly to the M90 Mouse and the ability to use the same Profiler application were forward thinking considerations in the Corsair design of the software. I really wish my Razer peripherals would do that.

So in conclusion, I am very happy with my acquisition of a Corsair M90 MMO Mouse, or at least would be if not for the current version of the software and it's apparent limitations. So please hurry with a revision to the Profiler so I can retire my Razer Naga permanently.

Great review! I like lighter mice myself, but I agree with the points you make.

Are the naga thumb buttons stiffer/harder to press than the M90?

This was my only issue with the M90, especially when dealing with the 5 buttons in the back.

One area where the Corsair mice are definitely better than the Naga: they use the Avago 9500 sensor, not the Philips TwinEye

The Avago 9500 actually tracks well. The only issues are some positive acceleration which is basically too small to notice, and the fact that anything more than 3600DPI is interpolated (which I think is getting to be stupidly high anyway)

The TwinEye is jittery and doesn't detect liftofs properly; all the mice I've used with the TwinEye just never felt right.

If I could choose between paying $100 to use an Avago 9500 mouse, or being paid $100 to use a Philips TwinEye, I'd go with the Avago 9500.

Great review! I like lighter mice myself, but I agree with the points you make.

Are the naga thumb buttons stiffer/harder to press than the M90?

This was my only issue with the M90, especially when dealing with the 5 buttons in the back.

Being fair to the Razer Naga, I do not find the Thumb-grid buttons stiff to press. They are just small and without practice, they were easily confused with each other which could be awkward while playing. The Razer Naga acknowledges this, and did provide a training aid to teach yourself to remember the button locations. I did learn to use the buttons.

The M90 side buttons do feel stiffer, but maybe because they're new. They are also much bigger and easier to locate in my opinion without the practice needed to use the Naga.

However, all that aside... without a functional Profiler, it all matters not. I can not bind these buttons to useful functions. In Battlefield 3, for example, I could not bind Reload, Map or other simple single key functions. They simply do not respond in game.

Have to agree with the op, having tried both products IMO the actual m90 mouse seems much better, the button placement is more ergonomic, the build quality is great, it fits my hand like a glove, BUT, it's all pointless when the software is sub par.

Being able to bind a mouse button so that it acts as a keyboard button (ie. registers a key down event when pressed, and then a key up event when released), is a very basic feature, and I've gotten used to been able to bind both my vent Push-to-talk button and various modifier buttons like shift/ctrl/alt to my mouse, even using cheap $20 mouses I've had no problem with doing this. Finding I'm unable to do so on a mouse I paid $99 for...

Least to say, I'm very disappointed. I really hope you will get a software update out that fixes this, because it's would be a great shame to let this great mouse be spoiled by such sloppy software.

I was wondering about the same issue with my M90. This is the message I received from corsair tech support after asking them about it.

"The current UI and driver implementation plays macros back over Windows API, giving input to Windows standard input. As a result games using DirectInput or Raw Input , in yourcse is Teamspeak 3, won’t see macro output. This will be fixed by adding option for macro playback over the keyboard or mouse USB interface, available by 12/30."

So hopefully they plan on updating the software for the M90 by the 30th of this month.

I was wondering about the same issue with my M90. This is the message I received from corsair tech support after asking them about it.

"The current UI and driver implementation plays macros back over Windows API, giving input to Windows standard input. As a result games using DirectInput or Raw Input , in yourcse is Teamspeak 3, won’t see macro output. This will be fixed by adding option for macro playback over the keyboard or mouse USB interface, available by 12/30."

So hopefully they plan on updating the software for the M90 by the 30th of this month.

Thanks for posting this! Hopefully the 30th will be a day of glory then.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the build seems far superior to any mouse I have ever had but 2 problems - one you have mentioned re the software not working which means no one can review the mouse very well because of the lack of time with the product in full working order.

This gives way to the second issue of the side mouse buttons being very stiff (will these loosen up? who knows), when the software gets the side buttons working I wonder how long it will be before the reviews start showing people getting thumb ache after a short time and not being able to continue using the mouse.

I think I am more frustrated at the side buttons - I know they will get the software working but who gave the thumbs up for the stiffness of those buttons - have a word........

Thanks

Rob

1) Ability to assign a button as a keyboard press and NOT as a macro. For example, I need to be able to assign one of the side buttons as just "Alt" and nothing more, but it has to stay down while I hold it down and NOT repeat over and over like it can be assigned to do now. It simply does NOT imitate a keyboard button like my old mouse can and does do now.

2) This part goes without saying, but I gotta say it anyway. Mouse assignments should work while in a game. I can get my macros to show up in a text file, but once I go into a game... nothing. And yes, I've tried everyone's suggested fixes. Make it so it works regardless of program/game opened.

3) More explanation on how to use the program either in the form of hover-over pop-ups or a help/instructions section in the software or available online.

Irrelevant info about me:

I've been lurking here for several months now since I ordered the M90 mouse back in October. I wanted a mouse with lots of thumb buttons but made by a company I could trust.

Now that the M90 has finally arrived I am impressed with the build quality. Sure, the placement of the more forward buttons will take some muscle memory training, but that's always the case with any new peripheral. Regarding the Hardware I have zero complaints and, in fact, am quite satisfied, even anxious to start using... but I can't until the number 1 and 2 points on my list above gets addressed.

The software, as everyone has posted more than thoroughly, needs a ton of work, but I just want to point out that... correct me if I'm wrong... this is the first entry into the software field for Corsair. I'm willing to wait for them to defend their honor and their reputation by putting out a worthy program that actually works and does the things all their competitor's programs allow.

Thanks!

Ditto. I can't stay silent any longer.

This is basically a mirror image of my own experience. Like the OP I've been watching this mouse for quite some time, lurking, bugging retailers, etc... I quickly became frustrated that I couldn't find this mouse for sale for so long and I had to ask myself why. I have a functioning MMO mouse in my Razer Naga, and it's worked (fairly well) for several months giving me a level of control in MMO's I never knew I could have. However, JUST LIKE THE OP, I wanted to get the hell away from Razer. They just don't offer the same level of support and build enthusiasm as other companies (such as Corsair) do with their product quality. To be honest I was just sitting around waiting for Logitech to offer me a similar mouse to the Naga, but it never happened. So, as you can imagine, I nearly jumped out of my chair when I saw Corsair was entering the market with the M90 (and K90 but this thread is about the M90).

Lets get right into it, things that were an immediate concern to me with this mouse:

1)Not as many buttons as the Naga. This might seem like a petty complaint but MMO's today are adding MORE buttons to press not less. The reason I am buying an "MMO Mouse" is to free my right hand from having to press keyboard keys. On my Naga, in WoW, I have 1 through = bound, AND shift + 1 through = as well. If a second generation of this M90 is in design, please... at least match Razer in # of independent bindable buttons or you're already falling behind. For example, whats up with the barren waste land on the pinky/ring finger area of the mouse? Why is no one utilizing this prime real estate on mice? 1-3 buttons could be over there for those fingers easily AND it wouldn't crowd the thumb grid as much.

2) The Layout of the side buttons does not agree with me. People with very vocal online presences seem to complain a lot about the clumped layout of the Naga's side buttons... which is a completely asinine complaint. The Naga has been extremely successful, with numerous users across numerous MMO's. I think it's fair to say its the standard by which all other MMO focused mice must be measured. Why is this the case? Simple. It gives you IMMEDIATE access to TWELVE keystrokes that would otherwise not be available to you in such a manner. So this begs the next question, is the layout of the side buttons a problem? The answer made clear by the thousands of customers that use the Naga is No, they get the job done. Are they perfect? No, there is always room to improve. So what do they do right? Well, i've thought about this a lot and while it can be tricky to build the muscle memory to a point where you can find the 7, 8, and 9 buttons effortlessly, the overall grid is laid out in a manner that makes perfect logical sense. They are organized in a grid like pattern that is easily discernable by the human mind, they are symmetrical, and they fit within the confines of a usable area to the average human thumb.

The M90 does not do the same. The buttons are not symmetrical, they are not located in a tight pattern that can be accessed with little to no hand repositioning on the mouse. They are so spread out vertically (and horizontally) that it's frustrating how far I have to move my thumb to press the top and bottom buttons. The bottom line is, in my opinion, the thumb button grid needs work. More buttons, more symmetry, and closer spacing. That huge area in the middle of the thumb zone that I can rest the entirity of my thumb pad on? Wasted space.

I use two parts of my thumb to press buttons, the tip of the digit and the location of the joint. Though the only things i'm pressing with the joint of my thumb are the very last buttons on the grid, everything else is with the tip/pad of the thumb as I need that tactility to differentiate what i'm touching. On the M90, it seems to me like the largest cluster of buttons are oversized at the back of the thumb grid to allow easy recognition of the buttons by the thumb joint. Too much space is wasted on those very large back buttons on the M90. I say this so that the designers may keep in mind that the majority of thumb clicks are going to be the smaller buttons towards the front of the mouse as I can differentiate between smaller buttons thanks to the tactility of my thumb pad much easier than I can with that joint. It's almost as if the grid was built backwards.

Last thing on this: the DPI increase/decrease buttons are in a terrible location with respect to the thumbpad. They are WAY too far forward to be usable, particularly when i'm trying to keep my thumb at the ready on the thumb grid. Please, move them back, relocate them, put them on the sides of the scroll wheel, anything! I don't love the location of these buttons on the Naga but they are at least usable to me on that mouse.

3)The mouse programming. I won't talk about this much as Tater72 said it perfectly already in the original post. What really bugs me about this is that I can't believe it's even an issue. How do you let a mouse like this escape production without these kinds of things hammered out? You know what makes the Naga so good? When you plug it in, it's thumb grid is IMMEDIATELY either the 1 through = keys or its the num pad. Simple, done. This one is really inexcusable Corsair, but it's a software fix that can be rectified readily so it's not enough to scare me away from the product.

I will close by saying that Yes, I did buy the mouse and have had it about a month now and I do regret my purchase. I've moved back to the Naga because I just can't overcome the fallacies with this M90 right now. I lose the # of abilities I once had at the ready for my mouse hand and I can't press the thumbpad buttons as efficiently as I can on the Naga. No, it's not a muscle memory issue, it's a having to reposition my hand on the mouse to get to the buttons issue and a force actuation issue. In every othe regard I love the mouse. It's obvious a lot of effort and care went into the development of the mouse. It's built SOLID, with a great finish, and it has a FANTASTIC laser. It COULD replace the Razer Naga but its just not there... Yet. Tighten the grid up, add some buttons, FIX THE SOFTWARE and I'll give you folks at Razer another $100 in a heartbeat. Literally, I cannot wait for the next iteration of this mouse. Just please, don't sacrifice build quality on the 2nd gen of this mouse...

If any of you (particularly you Corsair folks) took the time to read all of this, thanks for hearing me out. If you agree/disagree I would actually like to hear your opinion, please share.

Very good review - although I dont think you mentioned the stiffness of the side buttons. Did you not think the side buttons are hard to press or is this just mainly my issue?

It does make me think how they design things though - if you / me and many other gamers point the obvious current flaws out how the hell did the design / build team miss this.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you bind one of the M90 thumb keys to function identically with the M60 "Sniper Key" as in DPI-changing key where on press it lowers dpi and on release it sets it to default?

I would buy M60 for that one extra specific button but M90 has more buttons that I would appreciate in games like Arma2.

Edit: If someone wants to know the answer quickly, yes you can bind the Sniper function to what ever button u wish to.

Archived