Corsair Community

2 questions about F60GB2 in RAID 0

Pav40

Hi all :)

Last July I bought a Corsair F60GB2. Since then I have been pleased by the drive's peformance and I have had no issues whatsoever. At present I consider buying a second identical drive for RAID 0 in order to a) gain space; b) gain speed. Nevertheless, I have two questions:

1. It is my understanding that RAID will disable the TRIM function. Will this lead to a dramatic performance degradation over time? Will I experience lags similar to those I witnessed with an early Corsair SSD equipped with the infamous Jmicron controller?

2. I expect that the new drive will come with a different firmaware version. Do I have to flash the firmware of the older drive?

My system is:

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro, BIOS version 1301.

Phenom ii x6 1055T

4x2Gb DDR3 1600 memory

It is definitely worth it to buy a second drive to put these in RAID 0. The sheer speed and performance is great enough to withstand even not having TRIM, and the drives also have built-in garbage collection which helps to prevent performance degradation.

You will certainly see speed decrease over time but it will almost always be faster than a single Force drive.

Check the firmware on your current drive, if it is anything lower than 2.0, then you should update it. The new drive will most likely have firmware 2.0 and I suggest you run both drives with 2.0.

Archived