Corsair Community

AX850W noisy

Hadalpelagic

I just bought an AX850 from Newegg on the 04/19/2011 promo and have the same electrical noise when under load, also there is a high frequency pitch coming from the PSU, it's not noticeable at first but over time you realize its there and when i hold my ear close to it, it hurts, its also there when the system is off.

Man so deeply disappointed, these were suppose to be the holy grail of PSU's, currently using an old 620HX with no issues.

The electrical noise is depending very much on your setup. Same power supply with different components under same load will behave very diferently (i mean the electric noise you talk about). So in you case it's a bad luck that it's incompatible with either your motherboard or graphics card.

For example i had a HX620 squeeling with HD4870, but going completely silent with HD5870.

Interesting! I just grabbed an AX850 from NewEgg under the same promo offer. Should be here Monday. Sad to hear this. Now I'm wondering if I should just leave it sealed and return it.

Open it and run some Intelburntest with gpu stress test and get back to us please, you should be able to return it to Newegg no fees or shipping even if the seal is broken, unfortunately for me i already cut the bar code for rebates, however i requested an RMA.

I'm under liquid cooling, electrical noise from the PSU would be the loudest in my setup, also when your system is off listen close if there's a really high frequency tone which makes your ears hurts.

Open it and run some Intelburntest with gpu stress test and get back to us please, you should be able to return it to Newegg no fees or shipping even if the seal is broken, unfortunately for me i already cut the bar code for rebates, however i requested an RMA.

I'm under liquid cooling, electrical noise from the PSU would be the loudest in my setup, also when your system is off listen close if there's a really high frequency tone which makes your ears hurts.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I did a lot pouring over various reviews and tests on this 'GOLD' standard unit, before I decided on it. I hope that it doesn't turn into yet another 'Flagship' component from Newegg that needs an RMA.

Same here man, my buyers confidence has gone down, I've been getting duped on all year, ******** bad ssd, Asus R3E faulty boards, EVGA overheating cards, and now Corsair, looks like these hard economic times result in less quality.

Update: faugusztinyou maybe right, at times i don't here it, like when idle or under moderate load, but still can tell there's a frequency, will give it a week to burn in and see.

The electrical noise is depending very much on your setup. Same power supply with different components under same load will behave very differently (i mean the electric noise you talk about). So in you case it's a bad luck that it's incompatible with either your motherboard or graphics card.

For example i had a HX620 squealing with HD4870, but going completely silent with HD5870.

Installed my AX850 this afternoon. So far so good, nice and quiet. I haven't cracked the whip on those little electrons, but there's no squealing or whining from them yet. We'll see how it goes.

I was a little miffed at finding the ATX CPU cable being way too short, but I discovered the extension that came with my 800D which solved that issue. Not Corsair's fault; Intel keeps moving that target all over the motherboard!

Now if I can only get my Vengeance RAM modules okayed for RMA, I'll be set.

Installed my AX850 this afternoon. So far so good, nice and quiet. I haven't cracked the whip on those little electrons, but there's no squealing or whining from them yet. We'll see how it goes.

I was a little miffed at finding the ATX CPU cable being way too short, but I discovered the extension that came with my 800D which solved that issue. Not Corsair's fault; Intel keeps moving that target all over the motherboard!

Now if I can only get my Vengeance RAM modules okayed for RMA, I'll be set.

Forgive me! I spoke too soon. A week and 1/2 after excellent performance, the AX850 blew circuit breaker and gave up the ghost...completely dead. Now in RMA. I was really beginning to like this PSU!!!

Forgive me! I spoke too soon. A week and 1/2 after excellent performance, the AX850 blew circuit breaker and gave up the ghost...completely dead. Now in RMA. I was really beginning to like this PSU!!!

Lol really? did you use a surge protector?

This is what i use: http://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS-6B-Outlets-Standard-Conditioning/dp/B0002D017M

So far so good for me, the noise seems to have receded.

Lol really? did you use a surge protector?

This is what i use: http://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS-6B-Outlets-Standard-Conditioning/dp/B0002D017M

So far so good for me, the noise seems to have receded.

It's a dedicated 15 amp circuit. Computer and monitor are the only items allowed on it. Yes they have surge protection. The computer was sitting idle when PSU decided to go south. I've used many different kinds of PSU's, even had a 1000 Watter plugged into the same circuit and I've never seen one act like this before. Good thing it didn't fry the MB!!!!!

Archived