Corsair Community

Issues running 8gb Ram on my system.

Tozie

So i bought a new computer, everything seemed to work fine the first couple of days.

Then i started having issues getting it to go past detecting memory and it would not boot.

Removing 2 sticks and running only 4 gb will boot the comp without issues, readding the memory will sometimes let me boot with 8 gb after an attempt or 2.

Once it boots with 8gb everything works well.

Corsair says this MB supports this ram, but Asus doesn't have this Ram type on their supported list that i can see http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Maximus_II_Formula/Maximus_II_Formula_QVL.zip

Im running everything in the bios at default, everything is on "auto" basically as im too afraid to try to OC since i have never done this.

Mem Remap is also enabled by default.

Does anyone have any idea what i can do to make this run stable with 8gb or am i just screwed?

The only DDR2 DRAM modules that are supported in a four module configuration are the Quad packages.

This does not mean that they will not work. It just means that there is no support for RMA of such configurations. Because you are populating four DRAM slotsp, this changes the dynamic of the system in comparison to populating with two DRAM slots. You are advised to drop the DRAM bandwidth and raise the Northbridge Memory Controller voltage +.2v to achieve stability with a four DRAM slot population.

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Insert a stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and Slot 3. Enter your BIOS, Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
FSB Strap to NB: 333
FSB Freq: 333
PCIE Freq: 100
DRAM Freq: 800
DRAM Command Rate : 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency : 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5
RAS# Precharge : 5
RAS# ActivateTime : 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time : 72
Write Recovery Time : Auto
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto

Write to PRE Delay : Auto
Read to PRE Delay : Auto
PRE to PRE Delay : Auto
ALL PRE to ACT Delay : Auto
ALL PRE to REF Delay : Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
Dram Read Training : Disabled
MEM OC Charger : Disabled
Ai Clock Twister : Lighter
Transaction Booster : Manual

CPU volt: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
NB Voltage: 1.35v
DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
SB Voltage: Auto
SB 1.5 Voltage: Auto

CPU GTL Reference 0 : Auto
CPU GTL Reference 1 : Auto
CPU GTL Reference 2 : Auto
CPU GTL Reference 3 : Auto
North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto
North Bridge DDR Reference : Auto

Load Line Calabration : Enabled
CPU Sread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled
Memory Remap - Enabled

Legacy USB = Disabled (For Memtest, Enabled After Memtest)

Shut the system down. Restart to test for boot. If you gain boot, shut down the system. Insert a stick in Slot 2 and 4. Restart and boot to the Memtest86+ V2.01 CD and allow for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Please post back here even if you are stable as we can then move to optimize your stable system. There's not use trying to optimize an instable system.

I will try this thanks Derek, i'll have to get some CD's tomorrow since i only have dvd's lying around and those don't seem to work?

I guess i should mention, i reboot etc fine once it runs the 8gb.

It's when i have powered off the comp and restarting it after some hours i get the no boot issue.

I will try this thanks Derek, i'll have to get some CD's tomorrow since i only have dvd's lying around and those don't seem to work?

Correct. You need to burn the image to an CD-ROM.

I guess i should mention, i reboot etc fine once it runs the 8gb.

It's when i have powered off the comp and restarting it after some hours i get the no boot issue.

There are issues that will arise in the longer term. You are already seeing inconsistency and it will not get better in the longer term. As long as you do not overvolt the DRAM (2.1v) you will not damage it, however, you can and many often do damage the motherboard memory controller (Intel) if you do not raise the MCH voltage and lower the DRAM speed. Sooner or later you will shut the system down, and it will not start.

The other alternative is to overclock the CPU, thus concurrently clocking up the memory controller which allows you to access higher data throughput to the DRAM.

I understand, frustrates me to no end that it suddenly acts up like this when i thought it was working fine =(

This is what CPU-Z shows me without changing bios yet, if that gives you any clues whatsoever =)

I'll stop bugging you now untill i can get done what you told me to do hehe

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3008/cpuuf4.th.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3411/memorybs9.th.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5916/spdtd2.th.jpg

I understand, frustrates me to no end that it suddenly acts up like this when i thought it was working fine

You are lucky. Often there is no acting up and one day you turn it on and it does not start up. Then you have to trouble-shoot and move to RMA of the mainboard.

Ok Derek im ready to start testing this stuff, sorry for delay but sister's family came to visit this weekend.

Should i uninstall and disable the Epu 6-engine thing that came with my MB, before proceeding?

It's an energy saving program that lowers voltage etc?

ok altering the settings gives me an overclocking failed.

There is 1 part i can't find for the life of me though and that is the DRAM Command part.

Ok Derek im ready to start testing this stuff, sorry for delay but sister's family came to visit this weekend.

Should i uninstall and disable the Epu 6-engine thing that came with my MB, before proceeding?

It's an energy saving program that lowers voltage etc?

ok altering the settings gives me an overclocking failed.

There is 1 part i can't find for the life of me though and that is the DRAM Command part.

DRAM Command is right under DRAM Frequency and should be set to 2T.

Read some of this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179580&highlight=maximus+formula

Im running a Maximus II Formula with version 1602 Bios , not a Maxius Formula, newest for my MB would be the 1702.

Fixed. I would update the BIOS.

Edit:

I double checked my above settings to be certain that I had your correct board. Those settings are for the Maximus II Formula and the DRAM Command Rate is there.

It doesn't matter though, because you are set to 2T as shown by software.

UPDATED

With the new settings i was able to gain boot with 1 set of ram in, took out power cord and inserted the second set.

It would not boot on powerup, however i then hit reset and it booted with the altered settings.

Ran memtest for 2 full passes without any errors.

I still have no idea if it will cold boot yet though, will check when going to bed tonight and getting up tomorrow.

My NorthBridge and SouthBridge temps are around 50 celsius degrees on idle is this high?

I played CoD5 for about 10 minutes to check temp NB was 55, SB was 52, i shut the game down untill i get feedback if this is way too high or acceptable temps.

My CPU-z screenies are attached.

CPU-z.thumb.jpg.a8b100ba42da4735078495c76105a6bb.jpg

Set to these values and retest.

Dram Clock Skew CH1 A1 : Advanced 300ps

DRAM Clock Skew CH1 A2 : Advanced 300ps

Dram Clock Skew CH1 B1 : Advanced 300ps

Dram Clock Skew CH1 B2 : Advanced 300ps

Common Performance Level : 10

These boards run with hot bridges. My Norhtbridge is 50 - 55 on idle and 63 on load. Not to worry.

Ive been thinking some Derek, what if i just settle with running 4gb.

If i manage to overclock it some that should help performance yes?

I don't see a real need for 8gb, that was just something i wanted to do for the fun of it. And it's just getting frustrating and a waste of time.

Feel like trying to help me overclock 4gb =)?

Ive been thinking some Derek, what if i just settle with running 4gb.

If i manage to overclock it some that should help performance yes?

I don't see a real need for 8gb, that was just something i wanted to do for the fun of it. And it's just getting frustrating and a waste of time.

Feel like trying to help me overclock 4gb =)?

I think you will do far better with 4GB. With my new system, I am not able to get 8GB working correctly either.

Let's do some overclocking :):

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Download Real Temp from-->

To be certain of both CPU and Memory, use the Intel Linpack CPU/Memory test.

Configure System Performance Settings

CPU Level Up = Auto
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Control = Manual
Ratio CMOS setting = 8.5
FSB Frequency = 400
FSB Strap to NB = 400
PCIE Freq = 100

DRAM Freq = DDR2 - 1066mhz
DRAM Command Rate = 2T
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS = 5
RAS# to CAS# = 5
RAS to Precharge = 5
RAS Active Time = 15
tFRC = 52

All else set to Auto

Voltages

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
NB Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v 

All else set to Auto

FSB Term Voltage = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
Loadline Calibration = Enabled
CPU GTL Ref = Auto
NB GTL Ref = Auto
DDR2 channel A = Auto
DDR2 channel B = Auto
DDR2 Controller = Auto
SB 1.5v = Auto

Set all Spread Spectrum to Disabled

Boot to the Memtest ISO. Allow for two full passes and if stable, enter Windows. Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM. Post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs and of the maximum Real Temp when running Linpack.

Downloaded Linpack but it won't run, i get a libiomp5md.dll error.

I've downloaded Prime95 and the Orthos 2004 version, also IntelBurn test if you can work with one of those instead?

UPDATED:

Booted fine, 3x memtest no errors started IntelBurnTest, but when my CPU showed 87 celsius degrees i turned it off, thats scaring hot isn't it? I need to get a new cpu fan and not the boxed fan i have atm.

Archived