Corsair Community

iCue issue: Wallpaper Engine not recognizing all 6 QL 120 fans.

battlefield1113

Hi all, apologies if this is the incorrect board to post a question regarding iCUE technical difficulties.

Basically the problem is the following: When I have wallpaper running, only 4 of my fans fully light up. One of my QLs has the inner ring (front and back) lit up while the larger outer ring is not. Finally, my sixth QL fan doesn't light up at all. (see attached picture for what it looks like in iCUE)

I have a feeling it has to do with how the two pieces of software are communicating because if I just run ICue, then all 6 fans light up and can be set to whatever fan setting I want.

Aside from these 2 fans everything else works. The RAM, AIO and the 4 1/2 lit fans even responds to audio visual effects. I'm wondering since the QL is still decently new, could it be that due to the sheer amount of LED's, Wallpaper Engine just hasn't caught up yet and can't address that many LEDs?

My only other theory is the Lighting Node Core is not sufficient and I would instead need the RGB Hub and then plug that into the Commander Pros LED channels.

Here is my Corsair Eco System:

6 QL fan headers hooked up to a Commander Pro. The RGB headers are hooked up to the Lightning Node Core that came with one of the QL 120 3 packs. I plugged this into the commander pro via the USB 2.0 header. Commander Pro is working properly(see picture)

Here are some of my (relevant) settings:

iCUE:

Enable SDK is checked

Enabled full software control on Corsair RAM

Wallpaper Engine:

Enabled the iCUE & Chroma SDK, with all options checked.

Here's what I've tried to do so far:

Try the official Corsair wallpaper engine wallpapers.

Close Wallpaper engine after selecting a background

Restart Computer

Enable/Disable iCUE SDK

Enable/Disable different settings within the iCue & Chroma SDK plugin

Clean Install of iCUE(as instructed here: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-)

Anyone have any idea? I tried looking around and the few relevant topics I could find on this the person who posted the question just said "nevermind figured it out."

Thanks in advance and hope I'm being clear enough!

580504386_QLFanpic.thumb.png.cafbb450e962a3bb32be676954099d79.png

2020-04-19.thumb.png.daee325773156c6a009d90b8f19f4df4.png

Edited by battlefield1113

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a solution for you unfortunately, but I have the exact same issue.

When using any program (Wallpaper Engine, Metro Exodus) that uses the SDK; of the 6 QL120 fans I have attached to a single Lighting Pro, 3 light up as expected, but the other 3 are either off completely, or "mostly" off, i.e. fan#4 on, fan #5 is half/half, #6 off as you describe it.

I imagine using another Lighting Pro for the other 3 would "fix" it. But then I'd lose the ability to do sequential effects across the 6, so I haven't tried it.

I don't have a solution for you unfortunately, but I have the exact same issue.

When using any program (Wallpaper Engine, Metro Exodus) that uses the SDK; of the 6 QL120 fans I have attached to a single Lighting Pro, 3 light up as expected, but the other 3 are either off completely, or "mostly" off, i.e. fan#4 on, fan #5 is half/half, #6 off as you describe it.

I imagine using another Lighting Pro for the other 3 would "fix" it. But then I'd lose the ability to do sequential effects across the 6, so I haven't tried it.

Damn that's a shame. I noticed that when playing metro exodus I would sometimes have all 6 QLs light up, however I think the lack of the additional 3 being lit was intentional. For the most part Metro's SDK effects are limited to healing/damage/flames and general lighting. I think this was to give the lighting a "dim" effect.

I've now tried having Wallpaper engine on beta but nothings changed.

I kind of feel like it's the fact that we may be using Lightning Pros and not RGB Hubs, but I'm not bothered enough(yet...) by the lack of lightning to purchase a hub just to see if it would work.

Damn that's a shame. I noticed that when playing metro exodus I would sometimes have all 6 QLs light up, however I think the lack of the additional 3 being lit was intentional. For the most part Metro's SDK effects are limited to healing/damage/flames and general lighting. I think this was to give the lighting a "dim" effect.

I've now tried having Wallpaper engine on beta but nothings changed.

I kind of feel like it's the fact that we may be using Lightning Pros and not RGB Hubs, but I'm not bothered enough(yet...) by the lack of lightning to purchase a hub just to see if it would work.

Yes same here (not bothered enough to lay any money down).

I thought as you did re: Metro Exodus for a while, but sometimes those extra 3 fans are half/half and sometimes all off (stuff you do all the time like when you use a bench) so definitely something happening that feels unintentional.

Still all looks great though, just a trivial irritation for me. In fact, it's the inconsistency that irritates me most - either all off or all half/half - wish it'd make its mind up!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
There is a registered issue on GitHub regarding QL fans support in CUE SDK https://github.com/CorsairOfficial/cue-sdk/issues/1

I'd suggest monitoring it. Once the issue is fixed, Wallpaper Engine will be able to control the QL fans lighting

Hey intrueder thanks for bringing that GitHub post,

Looks like it's all fixed now and working with the latest iCUE and Wallpaper Engine which is awesome. Glad I had the patience to wait it out and see this issue resolved.