Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200C2 vs VS1GBKIT400

Caduceus

Hi, please forgive me for what might be a really silly question as I have no idea what I'm talking about. I have no IT experience at all so apologies.

I currently have an Intel D865PERL motherboard running a 2.4mhz intel chip with 512mb memory. I want to upgrade to 1gb and have been given 1gb (VS1GBKIT400), but looking at the Corsair website they suggest using TWINX1024-3200C2 - but what is the difference and can I use the 1gb that I have been given?

Next question, do I need heatsinks with the memory?

Hope you can help me.

Hi, please forgive me for what might be a really silly question as I have no idea what I'm talking about. I have no IT experience at all so apologies.

I currently have an Intel D865PERL motherboard running a 2.4mhz intel chip with 512mb memory. I want to upgrade to 1gb and have been given 1gb (VS1GBKIT400), but looking at the Corsair website they suggest using TWINX1024-3200C2 - but what is the difference and can I use the 1gb that I have been given?

It's not recommended to mix different brands, speeds, timings or revisions of memory.

Also, with that D865PERL motherboard you don't need more than the VS1GBKIT400, as that mobo lacks any provision at all whatsoever to manually adjust the DDR memory voltage. You can use the TWINX1024-3200C2 with that mobo at the SPD-programmed JEDEC-reference timings (3-3-3-8) - but you'll be paying more money for practically zero performance improvement (in fact, the TWINX1024-3200C2 at default timings actually runs at CAS 3, whereas the VS1GBKIT400 is rated at CAS 2.5).

By the way, the TWINX1024-3200C2 can run at 2-3-3-6 timings - but using such tighter timings requires that you not only manually set the timings to the tested timings, but you should also raise the memory/DDR voltage to at least 2.70V. (The D865PERL runs its memory voltage at closer to 2.50V.)

Next question, do I need heatsinks with the memory?

With conservative timings such as the memory that will work best with a mostly non-tweakable motherboard, heatsinks are nice but not necessary.

twinx is going to be two identical sticks totalling 1gb (2x512)

the vs1gb is going to be one stick. There should be a latency difference with the value ram being slower.

Actually, the thread starter says he has a VS1GBKIT - which is a pair of sticks that are matched in lot number and the ICs used.

As for the exact timings:

VS1GBKIT400: 2.5-3-3-8

TWINX1024-3200C2 (SPD Default): 3-3-3-8

TWINX1024-3200C2 (Optimally Tweaked): 2-3-3-6

Thank you everyone.

One last question, is it worthwhile keeping the existing 512mb in there too and have 1.5gb? Or just have the 1gb paired up and sell the original 512mb?

First off, is your 2.4GHz P4 a 2.4 (plain) with 400FSB? A 2.4A or 2.4B with 533FSB? A 2.4C with 800FSB? (Remember, there are at least four different versions of the 2.4 P4 for your socket.)

The existing 512MB may not work with your new memory. And even if it does, your memory clockspeed will likely drop from DDR400 to DDR333 with all four memory slots occupied with double-rank modules.

And if your existing CPU is only a 400FSB or a 533FSB version, you will have to manually set the memory clockspeed: The BIOS will try to set a DDR400 clockspeed even with a 400FSB or 533FSB CPU, which will result in a differential of 67MHz or 100MHz between the actual memory clockspeed and the actual CPU FSB clockspeed, which is way beyond the supported specs of Intel's DDR1 chipsets. What's more, with that great of a clockspeed differential, your Intel-brand motherboard will simply refuse to boot to any OS unless you manually override the memory clockspeed.

So, if you have a 400FSB CPU, you can use only DDR266/PC2100 memory.

For a 533FSB CPU, you can use only DDR266/PC2100 or DDR333/PC2700 memory.

Finally, for an 800FSB CPU, you can use only DDR333/PC2700 or DDR400/PC3200 memory.

The chip is a 2.4C with the 800fsb.

So, lets forget the idea of using the existing 512mb, and sell it. Just use the new VS1GB400?

Yes. And your VS1GBKIT400 is a pair of 512MB modules, so that you will get dual-channel operation if you put your sticks in memory slots 1 and 3.

How will I know slots 1 & 3?? Are they numbered?

You have four memory slots on your motherboard. The slots are color-coded (two black slots and two blue slots), so you put your two sticks into the memory slots of the same color.

If you do make the mistake of putting your two sticks into the two memory slots that are next to each other, you will not get dual-channel operation and your memory speed may drop to DDR333/PC2700.

Right, up and working and it recognises that it's got 1gb ram. But how do I know if it's in dual mode? There weren't two different coloured blocks!! I have the original paperwork for the motherboard which states...

Channel A DIMM0

Channel A DIMM1

Channel B DIMM0

Channel B DIMM1

Where should I put the two memory blocks?

Are you sure I don't need heatsinks? The original 512mb was quite warm when I removed it and that already has a heatsink on it!

Right, up and working and it recognises that it's got 1gb ram. But how do I know if it's in dual mode? There weren't two different coloured blocks!! I have the original paperwork for the motherboard which states...

Channel A DIMM0

Channel A DIMM1

Channel B DIMM0

Channel B DIMM1

Where should I put the two memory blocks?

The two sticks should be placed as follows:

Channel A DIMM0: One 512MB stick of VS512MB400

Channel A DIMM1: Empty

Channel B DIMM0: One 512MB stick of VS512MB400

Channel B DIMM1: Empty

Thank you so very very much!! I had guessed correctly thankfully!

Now, as for the heatsink thing? Will it be okay without the heatsinks?

You may put in aftermarket heatsinks if you wish. However, I would consider better airflow through your case first before you get any heatsinks for your memory.

How much money should I expect to get for the used 512mb OSZ pc3200 memory do you think?

With your existing 512MB XXX PC3200 memory, if you do sell it used, expect to get about $40 to $50.

Archived