Corsair Community

Force 3 Firmware update with Dell Poweredge T100 (no ACHI support)

szefo

Hi,

I would like to update the firmware of my Force 3 120GB from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3 using my Dell Poweredge T100 server. The spec of the server says that T100 does not support AHCI, but I connected the drive to a SATA port and it was recognized by the Field Updater. Could I proceed with the update in such a case?

Many thanks.

P.S. I want to do the update because of performance issues that I am experiencing on my Macbook Pro, do you think it may help?

I would appreciate any answer.

No matter how dummy this question sounds to you the upgrade instructions are not clearly formulated. Have a look: "If your drive controller is not AHCI enabled and your update fails, you will need to change it to AHCI mode and also enable AHCI in your OS registry. "

It does not exclude an option: "If your drive controller is not AHCI enabled and your update succeeds" -> so I assume that it is possible and thus I have a question whether I can try to upgrade the firmware without AHCI.

If yes, what is the state of the firmware after an upgrade failure? Is the whole "upgrade transaction" rolled back and the firmware remains the same as it was before upgrade? or maybe is it then necessary to finish the upgrade using AHCI. It is very important for me as I don't have a SATA+AHCI desktop workstation...

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the exact same question as above. It's been a month that I installed my new Force GT 60GB on my old system with m/b M2N-E SLI and fresh install with Win7 64-bit (therefore TRIM is enabled by default).

Unfortunately blue screens come quite often (especially when antivirus is performing a full scan in the background and I am working with something else at the same time).

I am trying to figure out the firmware update process, but since my mobo doesn't support ACHI mode I don't know if the firmware update can be successful. I cannot afford time for windows re-installation (and the rest of my programs) in case something goes wrong.

Could someone please give an advice?

Thanks in advance

You can update under IDE mode, I have done it before and never had any problems. It is only recommended to be in AHCI mode, given that these are AHCI drives. However, it is not a requirement.

With that being said, firmware updates are not meant to be destructive, but you should always prepare for the worst. Please backup your data before performing a firmware update,

Thank you for your reply.

Of course I will take a back-up before doing anything.

Since I'm not experienced with this kind of procedures, I was afraid that it may lead to hardware failure and wait for days to replace the disk etc.

I will repost with the results.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived