Corsair Community

K90 Initial thoughts (from a WOW players perspective)

Upinsmoke

As being someone that has been waiting to see what Corsair was going to release with the Kxx and Mxx items I finally decided to try the K90 keyboard. I will post my impressions for those that might be wondering and differences between this and my old Lxxxxxx gaming keyboard (one with the 18 G keys).

I won't get into packaging and such. For all intents and purposes the only thing that comes with the kb is a wrist rest (which needs to be attached to the kb through the use of two clips then a screw on each side.

The initial quality of the kb appears to be very high. There is one thing that is more apparent in viewing and using the kb. The K90 main frame has an attachment (plastic) to the left side that contains the macro keys. It you are used to using a membrane kb there will be differences in the use of the mechanical keys. For those of you that have not used/heard a mechanical kb there is a difference. For one, these keys are NOT quiet in the least. They may be quieter than other mechanical keys but compared to the membrane kb I'm typing on now it's day and night the difference. I'm still up in the air regarding whether I like this at home or not - if this was for the workplace I'm sure that my coworkers would lynch me in about 2 hours of hearing the keys clacking. There is a tactile difference between the membrane and mechanical keys, but not so much that I would say that it was an issue or problem. It will take some use to get use to the feel of the keys for regular typing though I feel. So outside of the clacking from the mechanical keys it's a very nice kb (for typing).

Regarding the software and firmware updates. Upon receiving the kb I downloaded from the Corsair website the latest beta installation package containing the software and firmware for the kb. I flashed the kb without issue , but be aware it is a rather slow process - just give it some time and do not abort in the middle of the flash (common sense here...). The software for managing the macro keys appeared to install and work without issue either. I will say I have not made any involved macros - basically all I have done to this point is map 12 of the M keys to reflect 0-9 comma and equals. I will probably tonight put more effort into utilizing them in a more complex manner. Mapping worked well so far and was very easy to do - common sense stuff here.

Putting the kb to use in WOW was the next step. I was able to make changes to the mapping of the M keys by alt tabbing into the Corsair software and applying the changes. These were all recognized in wow without issue or having to do any kind of refresh what so ever.

There has been quite a great deal of discussion about the use of mechanical and membrane keys in use on these kbs and I will give you my personal opinion. I use the M keys quite a lot in playing , those are my primary keys. If Corsair had used the mechanical keys for those I think I would be returning this keyboard. The clacking in game would drive me nuts. I ran a LFR on my rogue and the clacking of Sinister Strike would be enough to slit my own wrists - thanks for having the M keys as membrane. There is a difference in feel between the mechanical and membrane but in using the M keys for one purpose and the kb for others (general typing) I believe physical memory will take care of those differences. Strictly comes down to repetition and use. The thing I do not like, and this could just involve getting used to the kb is how the M keys are positioned on a lower plane than the rest of the keys. I'm keeping an open mind regarding and since I've only put about 2 hours of use on it , it would not be fair to say this is wrong or right at this point. Additionally I wish there was more of a spread between each set of 6 - but that can be attributed to previous statement too. I wish there was also more of a lip (non existent) that I could use to rest my pinkie on.

The lighting on the keyboard is a very nice touch too. 100% is WAY too bright and I"m currently flipping between 33 and 66%.

After almost 6 years of using another macro keyboard and switching to this one I have to say this is the first kb (K90) that I have found could be used as a replacement for me. There are things that it improves on and other areas that still need improvement. Right now I would say if I were going to put my personal "wish list" of improvements I would have the following:

1) bring the M keys into the same plane as the others on the board

2) Add a lip to the side of the M keys for finger resting

3) Absolutely do NOT change the M keys to mechanical keys (CLACK CLACK)

I hope this gives an insight to those that were on the fence about this product and those that may use it for its purpose (playing WOW lol is there really any other MMO out there? ). I'll post more thoughts on this KB after the real meat and potatoes of running a raid on my shadow priest this week.

I would make one last suggestion of purchasing this kb from a reputable store/site that would allow returns of the device. Some people are really going to love this and others hate.

Edit - One other thought was the matter of two usb ports being needed for this kb. One of the usb ends is for the use of the KB. The other is a passthru for USB port on the back. This is the first kb that I have been able to use that had enough "juice" to charge devices. Very nice touch. Also worked great pluging a headset into this port for Vent use.

If you bought a mechanical keyboard, and the key clacking drives you nuts, you're nuts for complaining about it. That's like buying a car and then complaining that it has 4 wheels.

Your missing the point nor providing anything constructive.

The keyboard is marketed saying that, and I quote...

"The action is predictable and linear unlike lesser gaming keyboards that have a tactile bump or the annoying click of a typist’s keyboard."

The point being is that a mechanical keyboard will never be as quiet as a membrane due to the nature of the mechanics and to say that a mechanical keyboard does not have the annoying click is just not true. For anyone changing from a membrane to a mechanical there is quite a difference.

In an environment where you are listening for game sounds and vent talk in a coordinated effort it can be more of a distraction having that "clack clack clack".

The frequency that certain actions (or the key they are mapped to) varies and something like Sinister Strike for a Rogue is going to get spammed constantly.

Well when they refer to the annoying click of a typist keyboard they probably mean the keybs with mx blues in it, those are seen as switches ment for typist keybs. And those click very annoying, like the razer black widow.

So when u compair these mx red switches to the blues or with other words typist keybs then they indeed have not "that" annoying click.

That's kinda where the line is.

U could say a membrane keyb does not have the annoying click like mech keybs but there are people that find the click from the membrane keyb annoying but also the u could say a membrane keyb does not have the annoying click without being wrong except in the eyes of those people.

Or something like that

Archived