Corsair Community

iCue 5.8 causes system crash with G.Skill Trident Z Lighting Control

Go to solution Solved by Shinchan,

Icue 5.8 is causing my system to crash.  Random start.  Sometimes it could be right after login.  Sometimes it takes 10 min, but it definitely is causing and reboot.  Just idle..  or watching yourtube. 

Background.  about 2 weeks ago, my system is now random reboot.  No reason at all.  I thought it was my hardware issue. 

Diagnosis: Long Story.

1.  Replace Power Supply from Corsair AX1200i to HXi1000.   Continue crashing.

2. Replace Graphic Card from EVGA 3090ti to Asus 1080ti.  Continue crashing.

3. Replace CPU from 13900K to 14900K.  Continue crashing.  (Reason, event manager says Kernel lost power)

4. Replace Motherboard from Asus Z790 Hero, to Asus Z790 Dark Hero.  Continue crashing.

5. so frustrate.  Before it crash... all  the sudden, my keyboard and mouse would stop responding. 

Notice: Sometimes when system boot up and login, iCue would crash immediately.   I have send multiple crash report.

6.  Next i tried was removing start up program one at at time.   After disable the G.Skill Trident Z Lighting control, all the sudden system is stable.   SO, i thought its Memory issue. 

So i tried,  Memtest  g.skill 7200MHz.  Pass 4 times without any issue.  Memory is G.SKill 7200 module.

7. but for sure, disable the G.Skill Trident Z Lightning control (Control the LED of the memory) definitely is stable.

8. I remember i had update to iCue 5.8 recently.    Next I tried with Close the ICue program and run with G.Skill Trident Z control only.   System is stable.

So, Step 7 and Step 8 proof that both application can't be run at the same time.  iCue 5.8 and G.Skill Trident Z Lightning Control (1.00.35).  System was super stable before iCue 5.8.

Resolution:  Found a TrueImage backup i did in November 10, with iCue 5.7 already installed.   Restore from that image.    Windows 11 23H2 is running stable again with both Icue 5.7 and G.Skill Lightning Control.  Disable iCue 5.7 from been update.

Why would iCue casusing system to crash?  I would have thought when software issue would crash the software, not the Hardware. But maybe its because it control lighting.

I need to have both Icue and G.Skill Trident Z running at same time.  Because I refuse to install the bloatware Asus Amoury Crate just to control the LED.  That is why i install the G.Skill Trident Z to control memory LED.

Also a suggestion for Corsair.  Make old software available to user who want to downgrade.  Right now, in Corsair website, you can only install the newest version.  I wouldnt have to restore from Image if i could have download ICue 5.7 directly from website.

additional info.   When I had ICue 5.8.  Running HWMonitor.  It would take long time to complete load the application.  It would be stuck at 88% loading the monitor.   But when I have iCue 5.7 install, it load fast.  

more info:  My system is Windows 11 23H2.   Corsair Hardware: Corsair H170i, 2 commander Pro with 5 AF RGB Fans, 6 ML Pro fan.  Asus Z790 Dark Hero with 14900K. G.Skill DDR5 7200MHz.  Mine crash with ICue 5.8 + G.Skill Trident Z.  Maybe 2 Commander Pro on 5.8 is the issue? Or Windows 11 23H2?

Other interesting info: My Son's System: Asus Strix with 5900X CPU.  Running Windows 10.  He only has Corsair H115i.  G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz.   Weird that his iCue 5.8 works fine with G .Skill Trident Z Lighting Control 1.00.35. 

I have uninstall G.Skill Trident Z Lighting Control.  Install Asus Amoury Crate.   Update iCue to 5.8.    It is stable.   This proof that iCue is having serious conflict with G.Skill Trident Z Lightning control.

Side Note:  iCue 5.7 or 5.8, i also install Asus Plugin.  But I dont see my memory in iCue and unable to control lighting sync within iCue.  also it is not controlling Motherboard light at all.    So makes me wonder what light is control by asus plugin???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Solution found for my issue.  I found a solution to run both iCue 5.9 and Trident Z Lightning control at same time without crashing now.

1. Uninstall Trident Z Lighting Control.

2. Update iCue to 5.9.

3.  This is what is working for my Asus Z790 Dark Hero.  I download a old copy of Asus Aura Lighting Control from Asus.  1.07.79.  https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/Lighting_Control_1.07.79.zip Extract, Install, Reboot.

4. Inst all Trident Z Lighting Control.  Install and make Trident Z start with Computer.   Reboot.  

Now i can use Trident Z Light Control to make G.Skill Ram with Rainbow color.

It doesnt sync with iCue.  But I am back to where i was before all these happen.  Which is acceptable for me.