Corsair Community

Going back to a HDD...

Quietman

Having had reliability problems with my Corsair Force 3 SSD I have cloned it to a new HDD to avoid reinstalation of Windows 7.

However if I run dfrgui (defrag) and go to Configure Schedule, Select disks... the C drive is still not there as it was previously an SSD.

Does anyone know what settings using an SSD changes in Wndows 7?

Thanks.

If your drive C: doesn't show up, then how could you ever boot into Windows btw ?

Sound strange. Make sure Disk Defrag Service enabled.

My C drive is fine in Windows, it was hidden from the auto option in windows defrag because it does this with SSD drives so you don't defrag them.

Yeah there's more to the WEI than meets the eye alright :) Seems like a tool that adapts settings/features to the current hardware and updates certain information (like in your case). It's healthy to run after plugging in new hardware.

I guess you could force Win7 to mark your disk as non-ssd for the defragger to work via some cryptic commands or a snap-in hidden somewhere in the system, but WEI just does that stuff automatically :)

Glad I could help!

As a side note, when running free defragging programs such as Auslogics, Defraggler, Puran, Smart Defrag, ect., it's a good idea to run Windows Error Checking on the drive after those programs finish. Otherwise Windows Index errors accumulate leading to eventual hard drive corruption.

Windows Error Checking-- Go to Start, L-click Computer, R-click the primary drive usually C:\, L-click Properties, L-click the Tools tab, L-click the Check Now button in the Error checking section, put check marks in the top box for the three test quick version of the tool or in both check boxes for the complete five part version of the tool, L-click the Start button. Windows will tell you that your machine needs to be restarted for the program to run, select yes; then close out all programs you're currently running to get back to the desktop and restart the computer. The Error Checking utility to correct hard drive errors will begin before the bulk of Windows launches. Once it's done, it will restart the computer and boot into Windows normally.

ps: Usually when running a free defragger, you can run them a couple of times before needing to error check the drive. I run the five part version of the Error Checking utility two or three times a year.

ps2: I've run the three part test on an ssd drive to correct Windows Master File table errors and Windows Index errors but not the five part test version of the utility as part of this version includes surface scanning, useless and wasteful on a solid state drive.

Yeah good advice that Garvin. I do it the old fashioned way to force a disk check with "chkdsk c: /f" from an admin command prompt. If you have more than one drive just change C: with D: etc.

I always did it after the freeze ups I had with the SSD. It never reported any errors but I did get some game server data files corrupted on my D: drive that were in use at the time.

Whoa, great info on the free defraggers...

You know, after I did a defrag (Auslogics, w/ Optimize) on my OS HDD, I had some strange freezes which I had never had before (screen frozen, only a hard reboot would help). Would you suggest these were due to not running the chkdisk afterwards?

I did reimage that same Win7 install onto my current SSD and the problem has never returned.

Yes. Windows Index errors frequently mess up address pointers to hardware and hardware related drivers, resulting in freezes or the dreaded BSOD. Windows has a limited ability to correct such problems on the next reboot; however it is not as robust as running Error checking on the drive. By the way, Windows Error Checking on a drive should be run in the manner described above, i.e. before Windows fully boots. Running "chkdsk c: /f" at an administrator command prompt appears to work but it is actually in "read only" mode because "chkdsk.exe" cannot correct certain types of errors if the full Windows load is running even at a "from within Windows" command prompt. The command prompt from within Windows is not the same as the old DOS command prompt: it's simulated. Microsoft changed the command prompt to prevent hackers from gaining too much access.

Yes. Windows Index errors frequently mess up address pointers to hardware and hardware related drivers, resulting in freezes or the dreaded BSOD. Windows has a limited ability to correct such problems on the next reboot; however it is not as robust as running Error checking on the drive. By the way, Windows Error Checking on a drive should be run in the manner described above, i.e. before Windows fully boots. Running "chkdsk c: /f" at an administrator command prompt appears to work but it is actually in "read only" mode because "chkdsk.exe" cannot correct certain types of errors if the full Windows load is running even at a "from within Windows" command prompt. The command prompt from within Windows is not the same as the old DOS command prompt: it's simulated. Microsoft changed the command prompt to prevent hackers from gaining too much access.

Running "chkdsk c: /f" asks you if you want to do a check on the next boot as it can't unmount the drive. On the next reboot it does a proper check on the drive. It does the same thing.

Archived