Corsair Community

520w or 620w?

andy12387

I was looking to buying a new system and was wondering what power supply to get. It would have one DVD-RW drive and one DVD-rom drive. Only one 500gb hard drive and one 640 mb 8800 GTS. Probably between 2-4 gigs of RAM. I figure that the 520w would be more than enough for this but if I decided to go SLI video cards in the future would I wish I had gotten the 620w?

• 3 weeks later...
The HX520 would easily power a C2Q, 8800GTS SLI, a couple of HDD's, and a pair of optical drives. The HX620 would give you even more headroom. Right now the HX620 is only $119.99 AR @ ZZF

I'm sorry but I just wanted to clarify whether this is true... From what I saw in the past few hours searching about PSUs and 8800 GTS SLI, people say to get a 550W with over 40amps on the 12V line...

Which seems to go against what your post here says? Obviously this is why I came to the Corsair forums, to try and get the final say... I have an 8800 GTS on order and may do SLI down the line (no time soon) but I want to try and semi-future proof my PSU.

1 SATA HD, 8800 GTS SLI, and a Core 2 Duo, will an HX520 truly be enough?

I don't mean to seem like I'm questioning your previous answer but I just wanted to be absolutely absolutely absolutely sure before I spent ~$100 on a PSU only to have to possibly replace it later... :) I don't think I need a 620W as I don't very plan on adding a ton of other devices... I am just worried about SLI.

The Seasonic S12 based Corsairs are some of the best psu's on the market. Since the HX520 has 40A (480W) on the 12V rail you aren't even coming close to maxing it out.

Estimated power used under a full load

8800GTS SLI - ~250W

E6700 - ~65W

SATA HD - ~10W during read/write (20-30W on spinup)

Low RPM 120mm fan - 2W

2GB DDRII - 2W

You might be able to pull 350W from the psu (425W from the wall) if you're running COH @ 1900x1200 or rthdribl+TAT or Orthos+ripping a DVD+copying data from one HDD to another. That would be a ~67% load on the psu. Efficiency will still be 80%+, the HX520's 120mm fan will be <30dB, and the psu will still be running cool. Read more....

Now you need to ask yourself how often would you be under this kind of max load? There's nothing wrong with having a lot of headroom, and that is primarily where the HX620 comes into play. It's over 550W and has 50A on the 12V rail. :D:

The Seasonic S12 based Corsairs are some of the best psu's on the market. Since the HX520 has 40A (480W) on the 12V rail you aren't even coming close to maxing it out.

Estimated power used under a full load

8800GTS SLI - ~250W

E6700 - ~65W

SATA HD - ~10W during read/write (20-30W on spinup)

Low RPM 120mm fan - 2W

2GB DDRII - 2W

You might be able to pull 350W from the psu (425W from the wall) if you're running COH @ 1900x1200 or rthdribl+TAT or Orthos+ripping a DVD+copying data from one HDD to another. That would be a ~67% load on the psu. Efficiency will still be 80%+, the HX520's 120mm fan will be <30dB, and the psu will still be running cool. Read more....

Now you need to ask yourself how often would you be under this kind of max load? There's nothing wrong with having a lot of headroom, and that is primarily where the HX620 comes into play. It's over 550W and has 50A on the 12V rail. :D:

I have a 620W Corsair and can't afford SLI motherboard but nVidia's site says HX520 + HX620 aren't "certified" for 8800 GTS SLI. Is their site being conservative?

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

I have a 620W Corsair and can't afford SLI motherboard but nVidia's site says HX520 + HX620 aren't "certified" for 8800 GTS SLI. Is their site being conservative?

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

Even though a psu is not listed on SLI Zone doesn't mean that it won't work; it simply means the vendor hasn't paid for the certification. It's no different than Crossfire certification, or maybe some speaker cables that are THX certified. ;): According to SLI Zone there are only 900W+ psu's certified for 8800Ultra SLI. :[pouts: This is one of the reasons people keep recommending high wattage psu's when they aren't needed.

"How Much Power Do You Really Need For Your PC? Yet Another Experiment"

Archived