Corsair Community

replacing the fans on the 650D case

RDS1220

I was looking at getting the Corsair Obsidian 650D but I had a question. I have read alot of reviews where people complained about the front fan and top fan. What I wanted to see is can the front and top 200mm be replaced with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103073 or are the fans that come with this case specially made for/by Corsair and thier Obsidian series cases.

The Problem with a lot of other 200mm fans is the thickness, not so much the top one but the front as the Corsair one is only 20mm thickness the one you mentioned is 30mm thick. In Order to fit a 30mm thickness fan you may well have to move the Hard drive trays or mod the case, I know if i tried it in my 650D I cannot get the second HD tray in as my M/B front panel pins and Graphics card are directly in the way.

So it can be done but you have to do some modding to make it work. I have a few questions I hope you can answer.

How do you move the HDD cages? Dou cut them out or do they unscrew and easily moved?

Once moved how did you mount the cages next to the psu so they won't move around?

I have no experience with any Corsair cases so I don't really know all the little ins and outs of thier cases.

You dont need to mod anything to remove the cages. The 650D is made in such way so the user can use different HD cage configurations (one cage close to PSU, and the other cage on the bottom or the top in the location where they come preinstalled).

Awesome case and awesome support from Corsair in regards to their products. Obviously just like any product, the user can always improve something :) but out of the box, very little is needed.

I wanted to keep all the HDD cages in mine so instead of moving them to fit that Coolermaster megaflow fan in, I did a cut to the drive cages that was simple and clean.

There is a rolled edge on the sides of the cages that can be cut off to be flush with the box part of the cages, with that cut off the cages will now fit with that fan installed in the bottom front.

Don't have the ability to post any pics right now but I can later on if needed.

Archived