Corsair Community

CPU Temp Too Hot for H50?

cobija

Hey guys. Great to be here. I have been running this H50 cooler on my i7 930 since June and I think its been OK so far. I made my build for a project and part of the project is overclocking.

I have everything on stock right now and idle I get around 40-45 degrees and 60-65 on full load. Is this too high? My friend is on air cooling and is at 40 degrees idle when his i7 920 is OC'd to 4.2GHz.

Thanks.

how do you find out how to overclock? u need to google it. As for the H50, in case you haven't, add another 120mm fan to the H50 (see FAQ's on main cooling page) - that'll bring your temps down futher. The fans then don't necessarily need to be ran at full speed, mine run at around 700-800 rpm, this is perfect and quiet too.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you add the extra fan? You can google "push/pull fan radiator" and get examples of where it should go or look at the Corsair link about it http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987 . As for your temps, I think 60-65c full load on a i7 sounds pretty good.

What are your room temps? Your friend might have a top of the line air cooler and sitting in a room that is 10c. Lots of factors to compare. Even my room is about 3-4c lower than under the table where my computer is. So, my ambient temp is warmer for my computer than my room. Voltage may also be a factore when comparing temps with someone else. Still, 60-65c isn't a terrible temp.

Here is one link for the push/Pull setup. And this one give you pics that you might like. As far as comparing it to your friends, you both have different CPU's, probably different stepping (CO, DO) also, and that will make a difference so you can't base anything on that comparison. Usually to overclock your processor one of the steps is to increase your voltage to it. When you do that your temps will rise. If your friend has his OC'd to 4.2 he could most likely help you get started with overclocking yours. If your CPU multiplyer is unlocked that is the easiest way to do it. For the most part you increase the multiplyer in the BIOS up to 23 then try 24 and so on. Somewhere down the line you will most likely have to change the CPU voltage from auto and start increasing the voltage [{(IN VERY SMALL INCREAMENTS:eek:)}]. Always check your temps as soon as you restart after doing this. I like OCCT, found here, for checking mine and for doing stress testing. The recommended sustained operating temp rating for the i7 is 67.5*C. Anything over that and you start reducing the life of the processor. I have run mine up to 80*C during 100% load testing while attempting my overclocks (and OCCT shuts down your tests when it reaches that) but I wouldn't go any higher. And, of course, there is no promise that yours won't catch on fire either, but that's the risks you take when you overclock. Any of these things that you try are all on you. I make no guarantees that anything you try won't hurt your computer. Not trying to scare you but you should take note!! These things are possible and do happen. And, while your at it. Make sure you have good air flow thru your case. It's a good case so make sure you have plenty of fans blowing and sucking in the right directions for best performance of your CPU, GPU and chipset coolers.

Archived