Corsair Community

My F120 write faster than read. Speed is way below advertised speed

ocman

I just got F120 with firmware 2.0 installed on dell xps 435mt (windows 7).

I've done serveral atto tests and everytime, write time is always faster than read. :confused:

Write speed is around 220mb and read is 210mb.

any input?

atto_speed.jpg.07955153216b923743f7f05bbe481a82.jpg

You could try using Intel RST 9.6 or 10.0 ( if you are using the default MS AHCI drivers ) as these might improve your performance ( if that performance is not limited by a "crippled" SATA controller ( notebooks might have that for power management purposes ) ).

I just got F120 with firmware 2.0 installed on dell xps 435mt (windows 7).

I've done serveral atto tests and everytime, write time is always faster than read. :confused:

Write speed is around 220mb and read is 210mb.

any input?

i tried to install intel rst but it faild with error message "this computer does not meet minimum requirement".

this is a dell xps desktop. In bios setup, the only 2 options for sata control is ATA or RAID.

I think bios need to set to RAID in order to install RST. When I said to RAID, i get BSOD.

If it's a desktop and not a notebook, the hardware limitation is out of question. ATA mode means that you are not using AHCI. Try googling for something like "windows 7 enable raid after install" and you'll find plenty of answers. Before trying this I'd backup the SSD ( acronis home would be a good choice ) :)

i tried to install intel rst but it faild with error message "this computer does not meet minimum requirement".

this is a dell xps desktop. In bios setup, the only 2 options for sata control is ATA or RAID.

I think bios need to set to RAID in order to install RST. When I said to RAID, i get BSOD.

richardd43 -> To install RST I am pretty sure you have to have at least 2 Raid capable HDD/SSD drives installed.

Well, you are pretty wrong, RST works great on one HDD/SSD as long as you have INTEL controller that support's RST :roll:

And on F60 SSD ( I have one ) it gives the best performance, better than standart & better than matrix drivers.

Well, you are pretty wrong, RST works great on one HDD/SSD as long as you have INTEL controller that support's RST :roll:

And on F60 SSD ( I have one ) it gives the best performance, better than standart & better than matrix drivers.

how do i know whether my xps 435mt controller support RST? i am pretty sure my xps has x58 chipset.

how do i know whether my xps 435mt controller support RST? i am pretty sure my xps has x58 chipset.

It's in your manual that came with the computer, page 47 -> "System chipset: Intel x58 + ICH10"

Intel x58 + ICH10 equels RST support ;):

You can download Intel RST at Intel's download's section (Support>Chipsets>Chipsets Software>Intel Rapid Storage Technology), just select your OS and download newest drivers.

This Hot-Link should work(latest Intel RST driver installation):

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18859/eng/iata96enu.exe

I have finally figured it out. Apparently when I installed Windows 7, I did it in Non-raid mode. So when I enabled Raid in bios, windows loading crashed.

So what I did was I enabled bios to raid. Then did a windows 7 image recovery (within windows 7 system recovery from image, I loaded latest AHCI drivers). After windows recovery is done. I installed intel RST 9.6.

Now, my atto disk benchmark test looks normal. I am a happy camper now.

Thanks everyone for helping especially Explos

Force120_disk_test.jpg.ce2a7a8b98a785fcf531bb368ce29642.jpg

It's good to hear that you sorted out the problem ;):

Another thing that i would suggest you for future is to clean(delete partitions,format) reinstall Windows 7 in current mode that is set in your bios.

This way you should get even better result than you are getting now.

You can look at the attachment (image) and see a little difference in the start of the test of atto.

I'm getting better results with my f60 almost to the 512.0 transfer size in atto.

And believe me those are way more important speed's than the last one's, small size transfer speed is the main thing that can and will increase your windows 7's boot and application's loading and working speed's.

You are using big transfer size speed's mainly just for copy'ing big files fast, your pc won't act faster only with big file fast transfers ;): so consider reinstall ;): You are well on your way of using SSD in it's best. :cool:

Good luck ::pirate::

f60_test_explos.jpg.0844349db047ffcbeef205cfb0d1dba7.jpg

Archived