Corsair Community

low -5V

egp320i

I just installed my new 520W and I a not highly impressed compared to my 3yr old antec true 430W.

Although my +12v is better then the antec at 11.98, my -5v is running at 3.55v.

The usual -5v on the antec was -4.95v.

The +5v is about the same as the antec at 4.89.

these are all stats at idle.

running prime95 most stay the same except the +12v which dropped to 11.91v.

What is the deal with the -5v and how important is it?

thanks.

• Corsair Employee
I just installed my new 520W and I a not highly impressed compared to my 3yr old antec true 430W.

Although my +12v is better then the antec at 11.98, my -5v is running at 3.55v.

The usual -5v on the antec was -4.95v.

The +5v is about the same as the antec at 4.89.

these are all stats at idle.

running prime95 most stay the same except the +12v which dropped to 11.91v.

What is the deal with the -5v and how important is it?

thanks.

The -5V rail has been removed from the ATX 2.0 spec and is no longer required. Our power supply doesn't have a -5V rail. Also, as far as monitoring rails, what software are you using? The only accurate way to measure rails is with a Digital Multi-Meter, all other software can be off by sometimes as much as 25% in my personal experience.

One other thing, keeping a stable rail is an important feature of a power supply, but also important is keeping that stability under full load, being able to output a lot of power on the +12V rails, being highly efficient while remaining nearly silent, and having Active PFC. All of which our power supply will do better than an Antec Truepower 430.

Keep in mind the ATX spec allows for a +/-5% variation on the +5V, +3.3V, and +12V rails, as well, and ours will beat that almost any day of the week.

Thanks, good to know then about the new specs.. Being the antec is 3yrs old it has the old spec which explains it. The HX fired up the first time and is not having any issues. Oddly in the bios the -5v was showing zero but the software (speedfan) shows the 3.5v.

so basically just ignore it then?

true, the old antec did not have PFC and its efficiency was running about 60% at best.

psu temps were around 101F, they are 92F with the corsair so no complaints in that area either.

I did notice when running prime95 the specs barely changed which is also a good sign.

All is well then, my 12v is closer to 12v then it was before, 5v is a click better.

Oddly 3.3v shows atleast in speedfan which might be a glitch but it always showed my DDR voltage which is 2.75 (corsair twinx 1gig)

that goes for both the old and new, speedfan and bios so it seems to just be the way it is.

thanks for the quick reply.

Archived