Corsair Community

Question about the HX1000i

imotep

Good Evening all! This is my first post. I sent in a ticket but happen to come across this forum. I see PSUs have changed since the last time I built a system several years ago. I have the HX1000i (I might go SLI so I thought I would get some extra oomph just in case) and I'm slightly confused. When did the 12V power cable get renamed to CPU? That tripped me up.

The PCIe cable I see has 6 sockets with 2 hanging attached to it. They call it 6+2? One PCIe cable has 2- 6+2 plug on it. My video card, the 1080ti has 2- 8pin power sockets. Do I use the one cable plugged into my PSU for PCIe to plug both 6+2 plugs or am I suppose to use one cable per socket (so I'm plugging in 2 cables in the PSU)? Also, which side goes into the PSU, the 8pin or 6+2pin?

1. When did the 12V power cable get renamed to CPU? That tripped me up.
  2. My video card, the 1080ti has 2- 8pin power sockets. Do I use the one cable plugged into my PSU for PCIe to plug both 6+2 plugs or am I suppose to use one cable per socket (so I'm plugging in 2 cables in the PSU)?
  3. Also, which side goes into the PSU, the 8pin or 6+2pin?

1. A long time ago and the 4+4 pin end labelled CPU goes to the motherboard.
  2. For a high power GPUs such as the 1080 Ti I would have 2 x PCIe cables both plugged into the PSU. For my 4 x GTX 980 I use 8 x PCIe cables all going to the PSU.
  3. The 2+6 pin is labelled PCIe, goes to the GPU and the 8 pin to the PSU.

Wow, have I been that far out of the loop? :laughing:

Just to make sure; don't use one cable (that has 2 PCIe connections), use 2? So 2 PCIe cables into the PSU for 1 video card.

Are the two connections on one cable more for having multiple video cards?

• Just to make sure; don't use one cable (that has 2 PCIe connections), use 2? So 2 PCIe cables into the PSU for 1 video card.
  • Are the two connections on one cable more for having multiple video cards?

1. Yes, I would use 2 PCIe cables into the PSU.
  2. No, for low power GPUs and I would only use one if I had two low power GPUs.

Does it have 2 sockets each? So you don't use one cable that has 2- 8 pin connectors? Or am I reading it wrong; 4 cables into the PSU each with 2 connectors...8?

Each GTX 980 has two PCIe connections and I use 8 cables that all go to the PSU, look at my PC specs.

My AX1500i has 10 x CPU/PCIe outputs, eight for the GPUs and one for the CPU. I don't use any Y/pig tail cables at all.

Archived