Corsair Community

HX1200i only 5 6+2 GPUs?

revma

Hi,

i would like to know if there is a sane way to run 6 GPUs with this PSU?

It is for a mining rig and i do not want to fry any PSU ports or the GPU by using wrong adapters on wrong PSU ports?

In this build i will be running 6 x MSI RX-480 8GB cards once they arrive that supposedly can pull around 170W under full load.

I was mistaken and didn't realize that one 6+2 is for the CPU so that leaves me now with 5 x 6+2.

Since i do not have much knowledge about how PSU's work in general i would liek to ask if it is possible to use adapters on the HX1200i that would supply me the same nice constant power as the 6+2 ports?

1. The AX1200i (below) has 8 PCIe posts and my AX1500i has 10 either one would be a better option.
  2. 170 x 6 = 1020 watts and I feel you are pushing your luck with a 1200 watt PSU. What does the rest of the system use?
  3. You could try and find/make a cable that connected to 2 or 3 of the Peripheral & SATA outputs to PCIe.
  4. I find Molex to PCIe converters cause nothing but trouble.

http://www.corsair.com/media/Blogs/AX1200i/AXi_PSU_back.png

http://www.hdcabling.co.za/images/8pin_PCIE_Cable_to_2x_Molex_PC_Power_Cable.png

1. The AX1200i (below) has 8 PCIe posts and my AX1500i has 10 either one would be a better option.
  2. 170 x 6 = 1020 watts and I feel you are pushing your luck with a 1200 watt PSU. What does the rest of the system use?
  3. You could try and find/make a cable that connected to 2 or 3 of the Peripheral & SATA outputs to PCIe.
  4. I find Molex to PCIe converters cause nothing but trouble.

Hi red-ray,

unfortunately i already shipped the HX1200i, the MoBo will be running a low wattage CPU+FAN with a USB stick for the OS, nothing else on the motherboard, Bios disabled everything that is not needed. People are running 6 of these GPU's just fine with 1200W, GPU's will be running undervolted and should then be drawing less then stock 170w.

I am not sure about the adapters myself that's why i come to this place to get a confirmation and possible better solution.

I have two new HX1200i here, i went and rechecked with a Merchants webpage and he has the wrong information about the Number of PCIe Slots which mislead me.

It is tough to find a good PSU here in Europe right now that is not overpriced, i was hopping i could keep them.

Thanks, that works!! :-) just wondering how 1 cable can hold about 300W? Anyway for now it does the trick!

It makes sense, but i wanted reassurance. If you take a r9 290 or 295 they have 8+6 pins.

:P

I just posted to another thread and saw this topic...

I want to connect 6x rx 570 on the same psu but luckily, it has only one 8 pins connector for each video card so I guess I can connect 2 cards with one power cable. It will draw around 90 to 110 watts each card, so max 220watts (i read it was able to deliver 300 watts)

anyone can confirm my hypothesis? :)

Thank you!!

• 6 months later...

Archived