Corsair Community

ATI CrossFire Ready?

noduplicates

I'd like to buy the Cosair 620 power supply for an ATI Radeon 1900 XT Crossfire configuration. Would I need a PS with 2 power connectors, one for each graphics board? Does the Corsair PS have these? What type of connectors are these? You say it is dual-GPU ready? Does SLI certification mean essentially the same thing as Crossfire certification? Is there any difference for SLI vs. Crossfire regarding power supplies and in particular this PS? Are there different power connectors to the graphics boards?

Also, if my system were composed of an Intel 975DBX motherboard, an E6700 Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM, 2 Radeon 1900XT video cards, 4 320GB Seagate hard drives, 2 DVD/CD drives, and a floppy, what is the expected system load? I'd like to correlate this with your Noise Level chart to see at what dba level I can expect your PS to be at minimally, if not most of the time?

I have selected all the components for the new system I will be buiilding above. The only one left to decide upon is the power supply. Since this is still in the planning stages, I have limited knowledge of the internals and no real data. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Steve

• Corsair Employee
I'd like to buy the Cosair 620 power supply for an ATI Radeon 1900 XT Crossfire configuration. Would I need a PS with 2 power connectors, one for each graphics board? Does the Corsair PS have these? What type of connectors are these? You say it is dual-GPU ready? Does SLI certification mean essentially the same thing as Crossfire certification? Is there any difference for SLI vs. Crossfire regarding power supplies and in particular this PS? Are there different power connectors to the graphics boards?

The HX620 will run two X1900XT cards in Crossfire no problem at all, I've done it in the labs. As for the connectors, it does have two PCI-Express connectors which will work for your cards, so no worries there.

They are called 6-pin PCI-Express connectors.

Our PSU is SLI Certified but as of yet we have not opted to be Crossfire certified. Specification wise the power supply would pass with flying colors but one certification process was felt to be more important due to SLI's superior market share at this point.

Regarding power supplies, all you should know is that the X1900 series is more power hungry in general than the 7900 series from nVidia. The exception being the 7950 card.

I'd recommend an HX620W for your system. Enjoy!

Thank you Power Guy. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

I will do some research on the ATI X1900XT vs. the NVidia 7900 series. I am now curious about the degree of power consumption difference.

Nevertheless I will buy the HX620.

Many thanks.........Steve

Archived