Corsair Community

Simple fix for users who cannot get Corsair Link to work one bit.

jacktorrance

First I uninstalled Corsair's software. Then I shut down my computer, opened it up and attached one of these to the pump connector on my H100i.

http://i.imgur.com/3XLgwal.jpg

I have a motherboard the gives you two CPU headers as well as 4 chassis fan headers all controlled by software. It's an Asus Maximus 7 Hero. I just plugged in both fan connections to the motherboard's CPU headers and viola, full fan control for the H100i's radiator. The only feature I can't use is being able to change the led color, but I can live with that.

So anyone else who simply cannot get Corsair's software to work, there's a simple solution. It took Asus to step in, but I'm satisfied with the H100i now. Asus' AI Suite 3 actually works quite well for being bundled software with a mobo. Good job Asus, Corsair.....ugh.

• 7 months later...
I just saw this thread, was wondering if someone could clarify to make sure I'm reading it right. This method takes the power lead for the pump and connects it directly to the PSU via a 3-pin to molex/sata/whatever adapter. I assume one could theoretically connect it to one of the CHA_FAN connectors on the motherboard instead, provided that connector was running at a constant 100% power? Then, instead of connecting the Hydro's fans to the pump, connect them to the CPU_FAN/CPU_OPT connectors on the motherboard, and let something like AISuite3 control their speeds based on the cpu temp as if they were part of a regular HSF setup?

I assume one could theoretically connect it to one of the CHA_FAN connectors on the motherboard instead, provided that connector was running at a constant 100% power?

I expect the motherboard fan connecter would not provide enough power. I suspect you could remove the PCB from the H100i and connect the pump directly to the motherboard, though doing this would invalidate your warranty.

I expect the motherboard fan connecter would not provide enough power. I suspect you could remove the PCB from the H100i and connect the pump directly to the motherboard, though doing this would invalidate your warranty.

But doesn't the default setup involve connecting the H100i to the CPU_FAN connector(I'm at work right now so I can't take a peek inside my home pc to confirm)? Does that one provide more power than the CHA_FAN connectors on most boards?

But the method suggested by the original poster would be to power the pump straight from the PSU, and power the H100i's fans off the motherboard like you would an air-cooled cpu, correct?

That is just the TACH, all the power for the pump and logic board comes from the SATA connector.

OK, now I'm confused. When I suggested the possibility of attaching the 3-pin connector to one of the CHA_FAN headers on the motherboard, you suggested it might not provide enough power, which conflicts with your statement that all the power comes from the SATA connector. In fact, going back to the installation guide, it says the 3-pin connector can be attached to any 3 or 4-pin header on the motherboard. Which still begs the question, just what is it needed for? Is it to report the rpm of the fans back to the motherboard? If that's the case, why would it be needed at all if the fans are going to be connected directly to the motherboard anyway?(I hope I'm not coming off as testy, I'm just genuinely confused. The Link software has been frustrating, and as imperfect as Asus AiSuite3 is, it's already there for other elements of my system, it'd be nice if I could let it control the H100i's fans too).

Also, if one decides to set the H100i up with the motherboard controlling the fans, would the USB/Link cable even be needed? I mean, it'd basically be running it like it was a non-Link H100, only the fan speed would be controlled via the motherboard, rather than a button/dial on the pump like the old H100 had.

The 3-pin fan connecter has Ground, +12 and TACH (Tachometer).

With a standard setup only the TACH (which reports the pump RPM) is connected with the +12 for the pump, logic board and LEDs coming from the SATA connector. I expect the combined load of the pump, logic board and LEDs is more than +12 power many fan connectors can supply.

The 3-pin fan connecter has Ground, +12 and TACH (Tachometer).

With a standard setup only the TACH (which reports the pump RPM) is connected with the +12 for the pump, logic board and LEDs coming from the SATA connector. I expect the combined load of the pump, logic board and LEDs is more than +12 power many fan connectors can supply.

OK, so in the default config the only function of the 3-pin connector is to report the pump's RPM to the motherboard, yes? The pump's actual power is being supplied by the SATA connector. Which again begs the question, why not just run the 3-pin connector to one of the CHA_FAN headers(which according to the H100i's installation guide you can do anyway), run the H100i's two fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, and let the motherboard's fan management control the fan speeds? Why bother routing the 3-pin connector to a PSU cable? Am I missing something or would this work just fine? And if so, would I be able to forego the USB Link cable, since I wouldn't be using the Link software at all?

OK and yes, I think I have figured out your point. My current view is:

1) The Molex/Molex to 3-pin is a red herring and not needed.

2) Using CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT for the two fans should work well.

3) Use SATA power for the H100i pump, board and LED.

4) The pump speed does not change so does not need to be controlled.

5) Connect the TACH cable to a fan header so you can see the pump RPM.

6) You do no need the USB cable, but you may wish to set the LED colour while it's still connected.

The only downside I can see is that you will not be able to monitor the H100i coolant temperature.

OK and yes, I think I have figured out your point. My current view is:

1) The Molex/Molex to 3-pin is a red herring and not needed.

2) Using CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT for the two fans should work well.

3) Use SATA power for the H100i pump, board and LED.

4) The pump speed does not change so does not need to be controlled.

5) Connect the TACH cable to a fan header so you can see the pump RPM.

6) You do no need the USB cable, but you may wish to set the LED colour while it's still connected.

The only downside I can see is that you will not be able to monitor the H100i coolant temperature.

I could care less about the color of the LED, the only reason I even have a windowed wide panel on my case is because that's what the Obsidian 450D comes with. My computer sits under my desk and out of sight during normal usage. :) As for the coolant temperature, I don't think that will be a big deal. I'll still be able to see the CPU temp through the AISuite3 software, at least.

Though, as it is right now with Link & AISuite3 installed, even though I can't open up the full Link software the tray icon still works. I can right-click it and see all the rpm/temp values, as well as switch the H100i between Quiet/Balanced/Performance mode. I suppose if I leave the usb cable attached I'll still get all that rpm/fan data in the tray icon, even if setting the fan mode would become useless since the fans would be connected directly to the motherboard, yes? I just wouldn't be able to tie those temperature readings in the Link tray icon to any of the fan speeds.

I could care less about the color of the LED, the only reason I even have a windowed wide panel on my case is because that's what the Obsidian 450D comes with. My computer sits under my desk and out of sight during normal usage. :) As for the coolant temperature, I don't think that will be a big deal. I'll still be able to see the CPU temp through the AISuite3 software, at least.

Though, as it is right now with Link & AISuite3 installed, even though I can't open up the full Link software the tray icon still works. I can right-click it and see all the rpm/temp values, as well as switch the H100i between Quiet/Balanced/Performance mode. I suppose if I leave the usb cable attached I'll still get all that rpm/fan data in the tray icon, even if setting the fan mode would become useless since the fans would be connected directly to the motherboard, yes? I just wouldn't be able to tie those temperature readings in the Link tray icon to any of the fan speeds.

The pump speed is fixed, the performance modes are fan profiles. If you hook your fans to the motherboard headers, you can control them and create curves based on CPU temperature through AI Suite 3 /Fan Xpert. Leaving Link on will almost guarantee conflicts with AISuite. Until there is a working version of Link, you are better off uninstalling the software completely (there are several posts on how to do this, it's not as simple as you would wish) and unplugging the USB connections.

The pump speed is fixed, the performance modes are fan profiles. If you hook your fans to the motherboard headers, you can control them and create curves based on CPU temperature through AI Suite 3 /Fan Xpert. Leaving Link on will almost guarantee conflicts with AISuite. Until there is a working version of Link, you are better off uninstalling the software completely (there are several posts on how to do this, it's not as simple as you would wish) and unplugging the USB connections.

That's what this conversation has been about, using AISuite3 to control the H100i's fan speeds. My point in my last post was in direct response to red-ray saying I'd lose the ability to monitor the temperature reading from the H100i pump. Currently I have both programs installed, and the conflict is preventing me from fully utilizing the Link software, but the tray icon for it IS still working. I can change the fan profile(for now, that function would become useless if I connect the fans straight to the motherboard), and I can see all the rpm & temp readings straight from the tray icon. Meaning I could theoretically leave it installed and retain the ability to see the coolant temperature, the one thing red-ray said I'd lose. So far, AISuite3 does not appear to suffer any functionality loss when Link is installed, so the issue will be whether this limited Link functionality is enough for my purposes. My guess is it probably will be.

I meant you would loose the ability to report the coolant temperature if you removed the USB cable which is what you said you wished to do. I also assumed you would not run AI Suite and CL at the same time.

I have link installed, but I do not having it starting automatically. This way I will be able to update firmware if Corsair ever fix the issues I have reported. I typically run CL once or twice a week for a few minutes for software testing.

I advise against running CL and AI Suite at the same time as they fail to interlock access to the hardware monitoring chip. You may think it's working well, but I know doing this is similar to playing Russian Roulette. Should you decide to do this I will not be able to help you any further.

I meant you would loose the ability to report the coolant temperature if you removed the USB cable which is what you said you wished to do. I also assumed you would not run AI Suite and CL at the same time.

I have link installed, but I do not having it starting automatically. This way I will be able to update firmware if Corsair ever fix the issues I have reported. I typically run CL once or twice a week for a few minutes for software testing.

I advise against running CL and AI Suite at the same time as they fail to interlock access to the hardware monitoring chip. You may think it's working well, but I know doing this is similar to playing Russian Roulette. Should you decide to do this I will not be able to help you any further.

No worries, like I said losing the ability to see the coolant temp isn't that big a deal to me. If I decide to switch over to AISuite3 as my primary monitoring tool, it's no skin off my back to uninstall Link once I have everything set up.

Archived