Corsair Community

New HS1A- So Far So Good

G50EED

I received my HS1A headset yesterday and want to share my initial impressions.

First off, there doesn’t seem to be much discussion about the construction of the headset. Let me explain how I came to buy the HS1A in the first place. My first pair of quality headphones, brand “S”, were expensive and of superlative sound quality. They didn’t last long as one of my cats chewed through the teensy weensy wire emanating from one of the speaker enclosures. There went $125 down the drain. So I went and purchased another set, brand “B”. Given my experience with my prior headphones I assure you I treated this pair as if it were an infant child. Last week the plastic connector linking the right-hand speaker enclosure to the headband snapped rendering them useless. After some research I decided to give the HS1A a try. The first thing I noticed when opening the box was how well constructed they are. Finally someone realized there is no need to have teensy weensy wires emanating from each speak enclosure; that there’s no reason one can’t be looped back through the headband back to the other side so that both wires can come out from one side and that they can be wrapped in something to protect them! A simple concept but this is the first time I’ve seen it implemented. Also the connection between the speakers and the headband seems substantial enough. Only time will tell if these hold up as well as they look but I’m optimistic.

As to the sound of the HS1A, I think it’s undeniable that they are less efficient than your typical headphones meaning they require more power to achieve the same perceived loudness. I also tend to agree with those who suggest the bass response is less than average. That said I thought the quick-start guide that came with the headset made it perfectly clear that to best enjoy the HS1A a separate PCI-E sound card was strongly recommended. I don’t know why one would invest in a headset (or good speakers for that matter) and use a motherboard’s on-board audio. I never paid much attention to the software that accompanied my sound card so imagine my delight and surprise when I discovered that it has the capability for separate volume and EQ settings for speakers and headphones! When I plug in my HS1A the volume is turned up automatically and the EQ settings changed to where I want them for the HS1A. The bottom line is that when you feed these things with a good, strong, quality signal they more than do it justice. I actually think that they sound better than either of the two previous headphones they replaced. These are only first impressions obviously so I’ll have to wait and see if I still feel this way after a couple of months.

Right now I would have to highly recommend the HS1A.

Archived