Corsair Community

SP2500 initial thoughts

Skizzarz

Hey there, so I picked up this system yesterday and read all documentation before set-up (normally I wouldn't always do this but being an avid audiophile I was interested to read their take on things before plugging in a single wire).

I set the system up to what I thought may work temporarily, the sub is on my big computer desk with the port facing forward, it takes up the entire right side of my desk beside my monitor so that satellite is just on top of the sub, temporary set-up and I know I need to watch the volume so the satellite doesn't dance off the sub. My old Logitech Z5300 sub is almost exactly the same vertical dimension so i put it on the left side of my monitor and have that satellite on top if it. Right at ear level, great imaging! Loving the reference reproduction, the upper-mids and highs hit loud and clear.

Onto the sub... :[pouts: Port rattle, what? Why does it sound like there's a piece of paper fluttering around inside? I've thought about this between yesterday and today and I'm fairly certain the problem is that the port extends too far back into the box and makes contact with a wall in the box which is where the rattle has to be coming from. Huge let down. This is what you call a defective system. I'll expand my thoughts, the design of this system seems excellent on paper. I'm envisioning what went wrong... The measurements for the sub box must have changed somewhere along the line. On purpose? I do believe so... I know it's a dog-eat-dog world out there and I don't think a lot of other companies want Corsair on top. I'm whole-heartedly rooting for Corsair because I see their admiration for quality. It's only a shame I was let down on this one. I'm really hoping they have a system for me with the proper original measurements (did I hit the nail on the head?).

Expanding initial thoughts: I don't see anywhere to reset the audio settings on the controller, most importantly the sub-woofer level for 'reference sub-bass'.

Also, when playing bass testers and someone messages me on facebook the sound is broken up on the satellites even though it's the sub doing the work. Something is definitely wrong here. On my old Z5300 it was 5.1, with 3 paired wires going into my sound card. On my digital audio player, foobar2000, I was able to mix the channels and redirect the low frequency effect sub-bass directly to the sub-woofer so the satellites played the ranges they were supposed to, and the sub as well. This worked very well. Corsair boasts about their integrated DSP. I was surprised to only see the main stereo connector and thought surely they must have the same type of channel mixer built in so that the sub gets its LFE channel and the satellites don't flex on sub-bass notes. Well why does the facebook messenger noise cause the satellites to clip/distort when sub-bass is playing?

I will add to this thread but I've already contacted Corsair personally and publicly hoping to hear from them asap to get this problematic sub fixed.

It is my sincere opinion that someone botched their design plans somewhere after the first batch hit the streets and Corsair must be feeling it by now.

My options are to return this system to Canada Computers within 14 days of the purchase date (and hope not to pay a 5% restocking fee for a defective product) or wait to hear from Corsair about what they can do for me.

Oh Corsair, where art thou?

Archived