Corsair Community

H105 Loud buzzing pump noise

hunterhighsmith

So there is a loud buzzing noise coming from my h105 pump, Its by far the loudest noise my system is making and when the room is silent you can perfectly hear it. It reminds me of a refrigerator running. Ive read up on the forums and seen a few videos of people with a similiar issue. Also ive seen people with this issue about a year ago when using the h100i. A corsair rep commented on the post saying that there was a issue with high performance psu's that give over 12v could cause the pump to make this noise. This has to be a joke since i have a Corsair ax 860i... there own psu. I originally RMA'd my original h105 cause i strait up thought it was defective. Any assistance here would be appreciated, Im at the point where im about to send this one back and pick up a kraken or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem, well it's not a problem in my case, I listened to TTL at oc3d and plugged the pump into the PSU so it would run at 12v all the time, but it turns out that the pump is quite loud at constant 12v, doesn't matter while gaming, but browsing is a bit more annoying. So at the moment it's on the same motherboard header as 2 of the fans on the radiator using a cable splitter (I use push/pull and didn't have any free headers left on my MB) and that has solved the buzzing "problem". And no temperature difference. But I do have a question, does the pump regulate it's self depending on the water temperature, or will the pump regulate it's self on the same curve as my PWM fans ?...

Thanks.

I had the same problem, well it's not a problem in my case, I listened to TTL at oc3d and plugged the pump into the PSU so it would run at 12v all the time, but it turns out that the pump is quite loud at constant 12v, doesn't matter while gaming, but browsing is a bit more annoying. So at the moment it's on the same motherboard header as 2 of the fans on the radiator using a cable splitter (I use push/pull and didn't have any free headers left on my MB) and that has solved the buzzing "problem". And no temperature difference. But I do have a question, does the pump regulate it's self depending on the water temperature, or will the pump regulate it's self on the same curve as my PWM fans ?...

Thanks.

all corsair AIO pumps are supposed to be run at a flat 100% 12v, undervolting them can damage the motor on the pump.

That is no where mentionned, in manuals or website, concidering they advise you to connect it to a motherboard header, and 90% of todays motherboards offer multiple noise profiles (that modifies voltage) for the MB fan headers, or software to avoid you having to go into the bios (like the sabertooth 990fx i have for exemple), so Corsair is advising to misuse the AIO system ?

That is no where mentionned, in manuals or website, concidering they advise you to connect it to a motherboard header, and 90% of todays motherboards offer multiple noise profiles (that modifies voltage) for the MB fan headers, or software to avoid you having to go into the bios (like the sabertooth 990fx i have for exemple), so Corsair is advising to misuse the AIO system ?

Its been mentioned numerous times by corsair reps, the pumps arent made to be throttled.

Nobody is advising you to misuse the AIO system

Its been mentioned numerous times by corsair reps, the pumps arent made to be throttled.

Nobody is advising you to misuse the AIO system

So you have to go and root through forums for potential answers that you do not know to look for, because it is never mentionned on the website or manual ? But the reps go around on forums and mention this ?

Well yes it is advising a misuse, as they advise you to use a motherboard fan header (in the manual), but many people use the integrated motherboard fan control (and you do not have one control per fan header, for exemple on a sabertooth 990fx 6 fan headers but only 3 controls, cpu+opt cpu, 1 to3 and finaly 4).

How is that not bad advise if you do not know, as it is never mentioned in the manual ?

"Watch out connect directly to psu, or use a fan header on which you can deactivate fan control".

I would like a corsair reps take on this, as I find this quite alarming and no wonder that the corsair AIO are getting quite bad feedback at the moment if people do not know to use direct 12v, as there are alot of complaints about failing corsair AIO wc.

yes Corsair and others say you can connect to a m/b header to run it but no where has anyone said to use a program to change pump speed,,,

so it isnt any ones fault other than the hydro owner for doing so,,

as the old saying goes

when in doubt-----ask

So you have to go and root through forums for potential answers that you do not know to look for, because it is never mentionned on the website or manual ? But the reps go around on forums and mention this ?

Well yes it is advising a misuse, as they advise you to use a motherboard fan header (in the manual), but many people use the integrated motherboard fan control (and you do not have one control per fan header, for exemple on a sabertooth 990fx 6 fan headers but only 3 controls, cpu+opt cpu, 1 to3 and finaly 4).

How is that not bad advise if you do not know, as it is never mentioned in the manual ?

"Watch out connect directly to psu, or use a fan header on which you can deactivate fan control".

I would like a corsair reps take on this, as I find this quite alarming and no wonder that the corsair AIO are getting quite bad feedback at the moment if people do not know to use direct 12v, as there are alot of complaints about failing corsair AIO wc.

I dont know about you, but im the kind of person who finds answers so components are installed properly. I dont take chances, and if manuals are misleading or confusing, again I will research to find the recommended action. I agree that it should be in the manual, but its not, and I honestly dont care what happens to other peoples computers if they cant question something that doesnt make sense.

Corsair's manuals have always been pretty poor, and I only used mine to see how the brackets went on....

• 2 weeks later...
all corsair AIO pumps are supposed to be run at a flat 100% 12v, undervolting them can damage the motor on the pump.

says who exactly? Pumps run ok unvervolted. A lot of ppl do it. Anyway, today's motherboards, especially from asus with chipset z87, come with fan headers which are set to undervolt in bios straight out of the box. So when you connect h105 it automatically undervolts itself without you even knowing it if you do not go to bios and know what to look for. Manual does not say to disable fan header speed control either (and it really should, since motherboards nowadays come out of the box with headers set to undervolt.), so yea, there is a problem then.

says who exactly? Pumps run ok unvervolted. A lot of ppl do it. Anyway, today's motherboards, especially from asus with chipset z87, come with fan headers which are set to undervolt in bios straight out of the box. So when you connect h105 it automatically undervolts itself without you even knowing it if you do not go to bios and know what to look for. Manual does not say to disable fan header speed control either (and it really should, since motherboards nowadays come out of the box with headers set to undervolt.), so yea, there is a problem then.

these all in one coolers ARE designed for full rpm as their so small in water capacity and flow that lowering the rpm's will considerably diminish cooling ability...

these coolers only produce a trickle of flow unlike custom loop pumps...

these all in one coolers ARE designed for full rpm as their so small in water capacity and flow that lowering the rpm's will considerably diminish cooling ability...

yes that is of course logical. But since temperature for me is pretty low with pump running at full speed, I can afford to lower it to 1500+-. I have not seen worse temperatures and that loud buzzing is pretty much away.

yes that is of course logical. But since temperature for me is pretty low with pump running at full speed, I can afford to lower it to 1500+-. I have not seen worse temperatures and that loud buzzing is pretty much away.

going by previous posts regarding a buzzing noise,,most found that lowering their rpm to 2000 rpm cured the buzzing.,trying this rpm wouldn't hamper cooling that much...

Archived