Corsair Community

Laptop Styled Hard-Drives in the Corsair One - Performance?

ZJyn

I've been doing some research on prebuilt systems, and the Corsair One was pointed out to me by a co-worker who essentially buys nothing but Corsair Parts.

Curious, I decided to check out the One. i've seen reviews, read the buzz and marketing stuff, sifted through a ton of "omg issues" threads and reviews, and i've been a hair trigger away from purchasing one.

I've been watching YouTube vids of people pulling the thing apart, looking at the internals. One thing I noticed is that the thing uses a laptop sized (2.5 inch I think?) drive to conserve on space and power.

I mean, the design makes sense. But at the same time, i've heard that Laptop Drives are often not as quick as their desktop counterparts, often because they are meant to be more power/heat efficient.

After scouring YouTube vids and forum threads... I thought i'd poke the enthusiasts here and ask the pros: Does the smaller hard drive mean not as quick read/write times as a similarly sped Destkop Hard Drive?

Aside from the reports of problems, that's been my only hesitation.

... if I can think of anything else that i'd want to ask, i'll post here as well. Hoping to make a purchase soon.

Appreciate the help!

Obviously, 5400 HDD installed in Corsair will be slower than a normal desktop 7200 RPM drive.

You can replace it with the SSD, SSHD or a 7200 RPM 2.5" drive if you need more performance or install a second 2.5" drive and use the slow one for something that is not performance critical (like backups or the storage of your photos).

My current config is 500GB M.2 + 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD and it's just fine for my needs. I also have 3.5" 7200 RPM 6TB external drive connected via USB 3.0, but I rarely turn it on.

Obviously, 5400 HDD installed in Corsair will be slower than a normal desktop 7200 RPM drive.

You can replace it with the SSD, SSHD or a 7200 RPM 2.5" drive if you need more performance or install a second 2.5" drive and use the slow one for something that is not performance critical (like backups or the storage of your photos).

My current config is 500GB M.2 + 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD and it's just fine for my needs. I also have 3.5" 7200 RPM 6TB external drive connected via USB 3.0, but I rarely turn it on.

Wait.. it's a 5400 RPM Drive? Not a 7200 RPM Drive?

Archived