Corsair Community

I love the 500R, but...

Ironbar Siniste

Hello Corsair forums!

My nick is Ironbar Sinister - I guess I should have omitted the space when I registered & it wouldn't have truncated the R.

Maybe a mod can fix that for me? :p:

I'm working up a new Skylake build to replace my Ivy Bridge Win7 PC, upon which I write this now.

My higher education is in electronics engineering, and because of that I've always frowned upon "modular" power supplies. I've been using PC Power & Cooling power supplies since long before they were acquired by OCZ. In my mind, fully hard-wired > physical connections. For this build I purchased a PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750 - the modular connections with screw-down retaining rings appealed to me as "modular done right".

I researched and picked the 500R case for this build. I really like the cable management - this is the first time I've been able to route power, etc. behind the motherboard mounting plane.

From the power supply I have:

Hard-wired motherboard power - good to go.

Two modular connectors used to power the Asus gtx1080 A8G - good to go.

One modular connector used to power my optical drive, storage drive, and temporarily the 2 drives I'll slave in to migrate from this Ivy Bridge Win 7 PC.

PROBLEM:

The 500R has ONE old school 4-pin Molex connector to get 12VDC up to the top front panel!

Really? I'm enjoying the build on this Corsair 500R case, but I'm not happy with having to use an entire power supply output cable with FOUR old school 4-pin Molex connectors just to power up the front panel fan controller. :(

If it weren't for that, I'd only be using three power supply outputs, nice & neat: 2 for the GTX1080, one for SATA drives.

Now don't take this the wrong way - I'm not straight up bitching, I can make this work. But as soon as I unboxed the 500R, I thought "Awwww, 4-pin Molex? I'm well into the 21st Century & I still have to deal with that?! I need an adapter so I can power that from an existing link of some sort..."

So here we go, time to fire up the soldering iron, fix this broken (empty) beer; and make up some custom ****.

I'll post pics. ;)

-Ironbar

OK - to be fair, I have a bit of a beef with PC P&C too.

There are two hard-wired harnesses labelled CPU1. In my build one of them goes behind & up to put 12VDC on the motherboard, no problem.

The second one I have bundled up and laying in the bottom of the 500R, I don't really care for it, it's not "clean".

After writing the above, I looked at it all again, and EUREKA! This looks like an opportunity for some hackery... :D:

See attached image.

PowerGrrrs.thumb.png.910aea45e5d889f5c1fd9b34ac7fe5e3.png

Archived