Corsair Community

600T and H100 grumblings

orphious

OK So I made my purchase...got a 600T case with the H100 cooler. (This 1st grumble is more about me than a Corsair product)...anyway

1. I get all the parts to my new build. I want to install the h100 in a push pull config. I know the whole push/pull assembley wont fit in the case. Supposed to be able to fit 2 fans and the radiator and then put the other 2 fans on top. NOPE!!!! Stupid heat sinks on the MB and tall heat sinks on the ram prevent both the fans and radiator from going inside the case. Sooo...push pull out the window with this case... Raditor on the inside (no way to mount ousdie) with fans in the mesh on top of the case blowing fresh air in. I realize this isn't entirely Corsair's falut on this one.. however see issue #2.

2. Since the fans are mounted on top of the case under the mesh the fan power cable lengths are not long enough to reach the plug ins on the pump. The wires have to be routed to the from of the case making them 2 short to reach. So I had to order extension cables and I just plugged the fans into the PSU itself for now. Either than or drill a hole through the metal mesh. Now in this config they run on high all the time which brings me to issue #3.

3. Once the mesh cover is placed over the top of the fans it causes the fan to start making a whining noise. Not sure ifs the fans whining or if its the sound of air being pulled through but haveing the mesh cover on the sound is horribly annoying.

Here are my specs:

Case 600mt

core i7 2600k

Corsair Vengence mem

H100 cooler

ASRock p67 extreme4 gen 3 (Dont recommend this board with 600mt with H100)

Any idea if I could do the push/pull config the the 800D case?

$45 worth of fans just to get the same result as the two stock fans that come with the H100?! The static pressure on those slipstreams must be abysmal!

Yes 45$ as oppossed to roughly $280 (800d) for a case that will fit the fans in the case. The fans are rated at 45.47 CFM.

Yea I am grumbling that the fans wont fit in the case because of the mother board I chose. However you would think Corsair would get off their butts and either:

1. Make a list of compatable cases the H100 will fit in with stock config or push pull config.

2. Design their own cases to fit their own products regardless of the other components chosen.

And how would you know what the result will be? If the result is I can fit a push/pull config while eliminating this god awefull whining noise and have the same results as stock then yes I will spend $45 for the same result anyday of the week.

cfm is almost completely irrelevant when looking for a radiator fan. You want to look at the static pressure of the fan. I have an H100 in my 600t and it works great. Fans are under the mesh pushing through radiator. No extra noise or anything, of course I'm not running stock fans either. I'm doing a comparison between the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 and NB Multiframe high speed fans.

Yes 45$ as oppossed to roughly $280 (800d) for a case that will fit the fans in the case. The fans are rated at 45.47 CFM.

Yea I am grumbling that the fans wont fit in the case because of the mother board I chose. However you would think Corsair would get off their butts and either:

1. Make a list of compatable cases the H100 will fit in with stock config or push pull config.

2. Design their own cases to fit their own products regardless of the other components chosen.

And how would you know what the result will be? If the result is I can fit a push/pull config while eliminating this god awefull whining noise and have the same results as stock then yes I will spend $45 for the same result anyday of the week.

Regardless of the made-up numbers on the side of the box, I have a hard time believing those thin little fans are even going to come close to matching the stock Corsair fans. Their rated CFM is meaningless of they don't have enough pressure to push air through the radiator. Corsair designed the H100 to be used with 25mm fans in either push or pull. I'm a little bitter the 650D doesn't fit P/P, but regardless both the 600T and 650D cases fit the H100 in its stock configuration. Something to note on the 650D is that there might be enough room to replace the stock fans with 38mm fans.

Regarding the fan cables, did you consider disassembling the connector so you could stick the wire through the mesh and reassemble it on the other side?

All said and done, the H100 radiator is extremely thin. I don't think P/P is going to improve temperatures at all. If it's anything like my H50, temps may improve 1C with P/P. My biggest concern would be the whining sound you mentioned.

Regardless of the made-up numbers on the side of the box, I have a hard time believing those thin little fans are even going to come close to matching the stock Corsair fans. Their rated CFM is meaningless of they don't have enough pressure to push air through the radiator. Corsair designed the H100 to be used with 25mm fans in either push or pull. I'm a little bitter the 650D doesn't fit P/P, but regardless both the 600T and 650D cases fit the H100 in its stock configuration. Something to note on the 650D is that there might be enough room to replace the stock fans with 38mm fans.

Regarding the fan cables, did you consider disassembling the connector so you could stick the wire through the mesh and reassemble it on the other side?

All said and done, the H100 radiator is extremely thin. I don't think P/P is going to improve temperatures at all. If it's anything like my H50, temps may improve 1C with P/P. My biggest concern would be the whining sound you mentioned.

I would normally just run with the mesh off except I got 3 little ones running around....Dont need em sticking their fingers in there,,,,,

One user on Newegg had mentioned using those fans in push/pull and said it made a huge difference in performance... didnt put out any numbers. Honestly I would be quite happy with the stock fans if it weren't for the noise. I'm not looking to get performance gain. I hoping to get the same performance in push/pull as opposed to pushing fresh air in. At any rate, I am going to play around with a couple of different configs.

Then again....my old PC (letting the kids have it) could use a the 600t case while I just might order the 800d which I know will work. Now only if I could convnice my wife....

I know the H100 can do a push pull setup, however I must ask what are you trying to run in terms of CPU speed? Do you really need to run a push-pull setup on the H100?

The temps at idle will not change (maybe one degree) and the the H100 will probably get another max 2-3 degrees at full load while overclocked if running push pull vs just push...

I just finished my setup with a 650D, i7 2600k on a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 with 2x4gb 1600 ram, 4 hard drives and a crappy GTS250 from my old comp, and my temps are quite low to begin with.

Idle temps as I type this:

Core 4 41 (not sure why this is that high)

Core 3 33

Core 2 30

Core 1 32

GPU 53

HD1 31

HD2 31

HD3 35

HD4 36

I am not sure why core 4 is so high compared to the other cores (something I have to read on) but when the system is stressed my temps jump by about 10-15 running at 4.1GHz... These temps are with all fans on min creating very minimal noise. Ambiant temp in the house is 24-25.

I changed the front fan with a Cooler Master 200mm but the other 3 fans are stock Corsair fans. Eventually I will switch those for some better and quieter fans, however for now this is perfect.

Pic of the current comp

http://oi54.tinypic.com/rsap3a.jpg

Pic of the comp with busted mb GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 before I switched it to the one above

http://oi52.tinypic.com/jzxug4.jpg

Very nice looking!!! I dont have all the fancy lights :). I was going to try my hand at over clocking. Right now I have my Mother board set to overclock up to 4 ghz and not to go above.

I have to have the fans run at high all the time right now. Since the fans are in the radiator, the power cables dont reach the controller on the pump. I have to say, I am quite impressed with this set up as I am averaging around 27c-28c idle on all 4 cores of the i7.

I did one test with running a stress test in prime95. It looked like the temps never got above 50c under full load. Im not sure how accurate the temp monitor is though becasue it did look like all 4 cores spiked up to 98 but then were almost instantly back down into the 50c range. I would have thought you would have seen a slower increase and decrease in temp.... can someone tell me if it can heat and cool almost instantly?

I was experiencing similar symptoms, but changing the bios setting to disable the motherboard's control of the CPU fan appears to have levelled out the core temperatures a treat.

I am guessing that having both the motherboard and the H100 trying to adjust the fan voltages might have been causing those odd readings.

Changing the BIOS setting step might have been included in the installation instructions that came with the H100, but I am afraid that I am a more visual person (aka a man) and followed the Corsair youtube video instead. :laughing:

Most temp monitors can be inaccurate. It's not unusual to have sudden temperature spikes. My Asus temp monitoring software is exactly 10C off on the cpu all the time, but the mobo temp is accurate. Which monitoring software are you using?

I'm using the Nvidia temp monitor which is probably not the best out there but I like it.

Archived