Corsair Community

40% PWM as low as it can go?

steve1873

Hi there, looking to control a case fan on my Corsair 250D via link (H100i) and wee bit frustrated that I can only make it go as low as 40% when I know for a fact it can work all the way down to the 20% range.

The fan is an Arctic F8 which has a max speed of ~2200rpm. When I set a custom curve which starts at the 500rpm setting, the lowest it goes to is ~1040rpm which by my quick calculations is around 47%

I then set it to fixed % and lowest it will set at is 40% and for some reason this runs the fan at 1830rpm which is actually just over 80%

Setting the fan to fixed rpm, the lowest setting I can select is 500rpm, but the fan runs at a fixed ~1040rpm.

Not the end of the world. But would like to slow the fan down a wee bit more and have a controllable range in excess of 50-100%

What is odd is that my SP120's attached to H100i appear to cycle down to ~30% without problem. They appear to max out at ~2100 rpm and will go down to just below 700rpm.

40% PWM is the lowest CL4 will allow, but lower is possible if you write your own software.

There seem to be bugs in the CL Mini firmware and I expect the H100i will also have at least some of these. I have posted http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=754023 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=845092 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853869 about the issues I have and thus far none of the issues have been visibly addressed.

Thanks, yeah some of that seems quite close to the behaviour I am encountering.

I was able to use MSI Command Centre to run the fan at a much slower speed - although technically that program only allows min of 50%, a very simple edit of config file allows an edited fan curve to be loaded. Problem is, I have to load that software and then load the edited profile manually each time I boot, which is why I hoped CL would solve this issue.

I have also attempted to use SIV to decrease fan RPM and that does seem to achieve the results of bringing fan down to a slower speed, but I am quite unsure of that software at present with regard to how to set it up or if even setting a custom curve is possible.

It would appear not to be a hardware limitation, given the above.

I have also attempted to use SIV to decrease fan RPM and that does seem to achieve the results of bringing fan down to a slower speed, but I am quite unsure of that software at present with regard to how to set it up or if even setting a custom curve is possible.

It would appear not to be a hardware limitation, given the above.

SIV can set any PWM % and I can get my 10,000 RPM fans to run at 600 RPM. Have you read and understood http://rh-software.com/Using%20SIV%20to%20Control%20Corsair%20Link%20Hardware.pdf?

If you wish me to comment you need to post [Link Fans], specify what you did and what happened.

You should also add your PC specs to your profile.

A hardware limitation in which hardware? As far as I can tell the limitations are down to the Corsair firmware and if you choose to use it what CL4 allows.

I was able to use MSI Command Centre to run the fan at a much slower speed

Does the MSI Command Centre interlock access to the motherboard sensors using the Global\Access_ISABUS.HTP.Method + Global\Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method names mutexes? See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037 for how to check.

I suspect it does not and you should therefore not use any other hardware monitoring programs if you choose to use the MSI Command Centre.

If you choose to use the MSI Command Centre and SIV then you are on your own.

The fan is an Arctic F8 which has a max speed of ~2200rpm. When I set a custom curve which starts at the 500rpm setting, the lowest it goes to is ~1040rpm which by my quick calculations is around 47%

Is https://www.quietpc.com/ac-arctic-f8 the fan you have? If so it's 3-pin voltage and you should be using a 4-pin PWM fan if it's connected to the H100i.

You need to be far clearer about what you are using and how it is connected.

Just meant general hardware limitation, either H100i fan controller, or the fan itself. Given that using SIV allows slower duty cycle then that is not the case.

Not using MSI Command Centre. Was simply using it recently in order to control the case fan.

Thanks I will have a look at your posts in more detail when I get a chance. Appreciate the assistance.

What I do find strange is that the supposed 40% fixed on this particular fan seems to set it at nearer to 80% On the surface it appears that CL is seeing this fans controllable range at double the duty cycles, ie it should be controllable down to say ~22-23% but is instead only going to minimum of 47% and selecting fixed 40% is actually producing results of ~80%. Odd

SIV can set any PWM % and I can get my 10,000 RPM fans to run at 600 RPM. Have you read and understood http://rh-software.com/Using%20SIV%20to%20Control%20Corsair%20Link%20Hardware.pdf?

If you wish me to comment you need to post [Link Fans], specify what you did and what happened.

You should also add your PC specs to your profile.

A hardware limitation in which hardware? As far as I can tell the limitations are down to the Corsair firmware and if you choose to use it what CL4 allows.

Had quick look at pdf - thanks, that will help a great deal. As I say, will have a look later this evening and will update profile with system specs. Just registered literally an hour ago, and got few things to do today.

Much appreciate your assistance and advice.

Sorry, but I am not understanding what you mean?

You keep quoting numbers. for me to sensibly comment you need to post a screen shot of the SIV [Link Fans] panel.

I may not reply until you do this and add your PC specs to your profile.

You should update the firmware from 1.0.07 to 1.1.03 as 1.0.07 is very old. Corsair have as usual failed to specify what changed so I don't know if issues could be down to that very old firmware.

You need to use CL 3.2.5742 to update the firmware. I know this is a total PITA and you need to thank Corsair for this being the situation.

You need to read the SIV guide.

I have no idea why you have circled H100i Fan 4.

You should use .PNG rather than .JPG for screen shots.

Actually adding the specs would be a better use of your time than telling to you are going to.

Circled fan 4 as that is the fan in question (Arctic F8 PWM) that is having the strange control behaviour.

SIV is not running in automatic control mode (-AIOCTL was not specified) and you failed to specify what you did to manually cause that speed to change.

• 3 weeks later...
This 40% minimum limit is something I would like to see to get addressed. I'm sure there's good to be some default limit of course just to be safe. However due to nature of the Corsair Link software which is a tool that should allow more advanced use cases IMO. My guess is that the people who buys devices like Commander Mini are more aware of the risks it involves. I do know tehere are 3rd party softwares which you can use to get around the issue. However don't believe that's the proper solution.

Archived