Corsair Community

Terrible Linux support from Corsair products

SirCmpwn

Corsair, your Linux support flat-out sucks. It's worse than bad.

I just bought a K95. I will be returning it and publicly smearing Corsair anywhere I can because of the problems I've encountered with it, and the obvious lack of support from Corsair. You'll probably remove this post pretty soon, but I figure that I've got to at least give the official means of complaining a shot.

I bought this keyboard understanding that I would probably give up macro keys and LED customization without Windows. I hate having to give that up, but I've come to expect it. What I didn't expect was for it to be a massive pain to use in general. This keyboard is terrible. I can't hotplug it, and my kernel takes an extra 30 seconds during boot up when it's plugged in (god knows why). In order to install and remove the keyboard, I have to shut my entire PC down, TURN OFF MY PSU, turn it back on, and then boot up again for it to work. This is completely ridiculous.

The worst part is that all you have to do is release your internal documentation for these keyboards. How difficult would that be? The right thing to do is man up and support Linux properly, but you don't even have to! Release docs and then the community will do it for your lazy asses. There's a five page, two year old thread on these very forums from users who registered an account just to tell you that they want Linux support for their keyboards!

How much do you owe to Linux, Corsair? How many of your servers run Linux? How many of the machines in your factory run Linux? The televisions you have at home, how many are running Linux? How much of your staff uses Android? Do your routers and infrastructure use Linux? This website itself is running on PHP, a language built on Linux by Linux users. You get so much from Linux, but you give back nothing. You disgust me.

I'm filling out the form to return this keyboard now, and I'm shopping for somewhere to replace my Corsair RAM. I'll be sure to tell anyone who will listen: avoid Corsair products.

how can you fault the keyboard when it clearly states in the product description that it supports Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

I don't see a Linux reference there...

There are established standards for keyboards that any of them should work with. This is the first keyboard I've encountered that fails to meet basic expectations for the capabilities of a keyboard.

My primary gripe, though, is that Linux is not written on the box. Corsair damn well should support it.

these aren't your old standardized type of keyboards,obviously one can agree their much more elaborate and complicated than the usual kb's..

Linus does seem to get left out in alot of areas but Corsair cant be faulted for their designing their hardware for windows being its 95% of the market.

my son is a die hard linux user and we have these talks all the time,of course what i find funny is he has windows running inside his Linux environment...:confused:

these aren't your old standardized type of keyboards,obviously one can agree their much more elaborate and complicated than the usual kb's..

Linus does seem to get left out in alot of areas but Corsair cant be faulted for their designing their hardware for windows being its 95% of the market.

my son is a die hard linux user and we have these talks all the time,of course what i find funny is he has windows running inside his Linux environment...:confused:

On the other hand, I've used other keyboards (I just switched back to my Razer Black Widow, for example) that have a similar featureset but don't have any problems on Linux. As a software engineer with an emphasis on hardware and drivers, I assure you that it'd be easy for Corsair to do this right. Even with fancy features, you can support standards. It's a damn keyboard, it's not a complicated piece of hardware to begin with.

My primary gripe, though, is that Linux is not written on the box. Corsair damn well should support it.

This is the problem with opensource based users. They think everything has to support an X software or it is crap and blame companies if they don't make their hardware/software open. There is no way you can blame corsair for not having Linux support, they don't have to support it no matter how many 'servers, phones and/or tv' they own run on linux based os.

They informed you in the box that the software for their hardware only support windows based systems, if you bought it knowing that you can't complain like this. You could ask them to support linux based systems in the future, that would be a great start, but complain that they have horrible support when in fact the support for your system does not exist and you knew that before hand, that is just plain dumb. The box is not misinforming you in any way, you can come to the website to see if they have software for you and if there is non, buy at your risk. Don't come complaining, that is pathetic.

I don't know why they don't support another OS other than Windows in most of their products, if not all. They say it is because they have no 'resources' to do so. Anyway, a nicer way to talk about this issue happened in here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=107194

Even the RAM Guy responded there. It is your responsibility to know what your are buying before you do and it seems you know what you were getting into, you can't complain in this manner. It is not right.

Archived