Corsair Community

Probably fix to all the freezing..i hope..

Twinblast

Everyone with this freezing/drop out problem, who havent allready returned the drive, can you please try and do something for me? If you havent allready, can you try to take out the ssd from your pc and place it on a stand or something next to your pc. Connect the ssd, and be sure that the sata cable is COMPLETELY straight, with as little bends as possible, and see if that should make some diffence.

I have just discovered that it seems i can provoke the problem by putting on/taking off the side door of my case. The side door pushes my cable just a little when placing it on, and that seems to make the drive disappear from bios + makes it freeze in windows. Taking off the side door and straightening the cable makes it appear again. So changing port on my MB, wich did help for a few days, actually was becourse i did touch the cable..

Im well aware that you do not want to bend your sata cables. But here im talking about so small bends, that is even smaller than the bends on my other harddrives sata cables, wich has never been a problem with those..

This is surely the last chance im gonna give this ssd, so lets cross fingers, and i will be making feedback in about a week, if its still stable..

If this really shows to be the problem i and many are having, ill try/suggest buying a shorter round sata cable, and be sure its as straight as possible, even with the case closed!

Allmost forgot my question for corsair: I have seen some posts asking why your drives do not have cable lock, but to non of them i could find an answer??

it's well-known that faulty SATA cables are the cause of many head aches when it comes to SSDs.

Sorry I can't help you because my GT has never given me any issues whatsoever.

Have you tried another cable with your SSD that you KNOW is fine with another device?

It sounds to me like you have a bad cable on that SSD, either the connector itself, or a bad or broken connection somewhere in the cable. Expecting to route a SATA cable inside a PC without bending it is impossible for many reasons.

I read an article not long ago, where a PC hardware review web site tested the affect of very long SATA cables, and multiple cables connected together to create a long cable. The result was no difference in the performance of the SSD at all, it had no problem send and receiving data over what should be a terrible cable.

I have more than one SATA cable that failed due to remounting it in different source and destination locations. The 26 gauge wire used in SATA cables is very thin, and the connections to them at the connector are not hard to disturb and break. Straightening out the cable as you have done is likely causing a bad connection to be temporarily make contact.

Also, if you are trying to use a locking type SATA cable in a SSD that does not work with locking SATA cables (more common than you might think), that is the worst possible combination. Non-locking SATA connectors on cables have a different design that tends to be tighter once connected than most locking connectors, IMO. You should try the non-locking type of SATA cable, I use both depending on the device and situation.

If your SSD disconnects if the cable is just moved by touching the side of the case, you need a new cable. Given how cheap SATA cables are, and IMO it's a miracle they work at all, you must try several cables before deciding the SSD has a problem.

It sounds to me like you have a bad cable on that SSD, either the connector itself, or a bad or broken connection somewhere in the cable. Expecting to route a SATA cable inside a PC without bending it is impossible for many reasons.

I read an article not long ago, where a PC hardware review web site tested the affect of very long SATA cables, and multiple cables connected together to create a long cable. The result was no difference in the performance of the SSD at all, it had no problem send and receiving data over what should be a terrible cable.

I have more than one SATA cable that failed due to remounting it in different source and destination locations. The 26 gauge wire used in SATA cables is very thin, and the connections to them at the connector are not hard to disturb and break. Straightening out the cable as you have done is likely causing a bad connection to be temporarily make contact.

Also, if you are trying to use a locking type SATA cable in a SSD that does not work with locking SATA cables (more common than you might think), that is the worst possible combination. Non-locking SATA connectors on cables have a different design that tends to be tighter once connected than most locking connectors, IMO. You should try the non-locking type of SATA cable, I use both depending on the device and situation.

If your SSD disconnects if the cable is just moved by touching the side of the case, you need a new cable. Given how cheap SATA cables are, and IMO it's a miracle they work at all, you must try several cables before deciding the SSD has a problem.

Thank you for the responce! As im saying i have tried 3 different brand new cables, with all the same freezing behavier. 1 of those cables, i gave to a friend, who bought the same ssd, just the 120gb version. He has been using that cable without any problem what so ever for over a month.. The funny thing is that hes case have a good distance between the ssd and the mb port, compared to mine, so he has the cable allmost stretch out inside the case!

The 3 cables i have tried with, were very cheap, so im thinking perhapse they are making trouble, when bent too much. Or it could be as you said the cable with locks, do not fit as well on the connector..

When i say that id straightening it out, dont get me wrong. What i meant was that i did lay it on a table in an allmost straight line (not as bend as before in the case)

What you are telling me about no lock on the cables i do find very interesting though. I'll have to try that out, though i still wonder why the ssd's do not have the lock.

Thank you again for the reply! :sunglasse

Maybe it's not the cable, maybe it's either the port on the MB or on the drive.

Hello Willie! Yes you are right! it may be the port on the drive, but im pretty sure its not the MB port, course ive changed trough 3 different ports on the mb, and the problem appears on all + all my other platter drives works perfect on all ports..

I have now pushed the sata cable good in underneath the ssd, so i can be sure it wont get stuck between some other cables and the side of the case and maybe get bended, or loose connection on port

Until now (2days), no freeze at all. The longest time i have experienced without a freeze is 5 days, so it shall be exiting to see..

Ok this is weird, but i finally think ive found the solution to this problem!

As ive said, i bought 3 brand new sata3 cables. I had system freeze with all 3 cables + i gave one of the cables to a friend, wich have been using it for a month with no issues at all, so i dident really think it was the cables that was the problem, but then again, they were very cheap and found out that touching the cables seemed to have some effect on the freezing..

Now after yet another freeze/bsod.., i managed to find my old sata3 cables wich came with my mobo when i bought it a year ago. I plugged that one in, and to my surprise the system got completely stable! I could not play black ops for 10min without a freeze, until i changed to this specific cable, and i have now played over and hour..

I hope its not the port on the ssd, but lets see now, how long it will be stable on this cable.. :biggrin:

I've noticed that the SATA cables included with mother boards have been of very good quality, and actually fit better and tighter than SATA cables I bought separately. The same thing is true with cables included with SSDs.

I just read about a company that is marketing SATA cables with all silver conductors and gold plated contacts (the latter is standard on SATA cables) and a heavy jacket protecting the cables. The 40cm version of this cable is about $300... I sure hope the insanity of ultra high end audio does not invade the PC world.

I've noticed that the SATA cables included with mother boards have been of very good quality, and actually fit better and tighter than SATA cables I bought separately. The same thing is true with cables included with SSDs.

Yes sir! That leave me with a question. Why ohh why do corsair not include a cable with their ssd's, as this seems to have been the only problem driving me crazy, and i guess a lot of other customers too.. :confused:

I just read about a company that is marketing SATA cables with all silver conductors and gold plated contacts (the latter is standard on SATA cables) and a heavy jacket protecting the cables. The 40cm version of this cable is about $300... I sure hope the insanity of ultra high end audio does not invade the PC world.

Say what?!? :bigeyes: :biggrin:

Yup.. These ssd's do not like "copartner" cables :sigh!:

Have tortured the pc over 4 days now, unable to provoke a single freeze/bsod. Completely stable since the switch!

Now i can finally enjoy my purchase :headbang:

Awesome, glad it worked out for you!

See, someone else who didn't have the time/knowledge you do would've shipped the SSD right back to Corsair - prolly several times - thinking that the SSD was at fault, and linking it incorrectly to the SandForce problem.

I might reference this thread if people are having trouble and don't believe the cables can be at fault.

Cheers!

See, someone else who didn't have the time/knowledge you do would've shipped the SSD right back to Corsair - prolly several times - thinking that the SSD was at fault, and linking it incorrectly to the SandForce problem.

I might reference this thread if people are having trouble and don't believe the cables can be at fault.

Cheers!

We can only imagine how many times that has happened, as well as users simply changing to AHCI mode in their BIOS after installing Windows in IDE mode, without performing the Registry change (really a Windows issue), along with the driver requirements.

We have come full circle with SSDs in some respects, from plug-n-play as most things are today, to needing some manual intervention when installing new hardware, which was required in the old days.

Archived