Corsair Community

MacBook Pro 17" 2011 - Force 3 120 GB

Kraznet

Hi there,

I just registered to this forum. I have a MacBook Pro 17" coming on Friday and I'm ordering a Corsair Force 3 120 GB from Scan Computers UK. I just checked with them and they have new stock which has the updated drives replacing the recalled one's. I intend to run a dual boot Snow Leopard/Windows 7 and x64 sytem. I've been a bit concerned because I've seen various threads about problems with SATA 3-6gb's with these particular MacBook models. I was so concerned I'm almost tempted to cancel the order. If anybody has any tips or advice would be most grateful. I will keep you updated on how I get on.

Cheers

Kraznet

Hello Kraznet i've installer a Force3 120GB on my macbook pro 15 2011 with a sandy bridge i7.

The SSD drive was detected has a S-ata2 drive.

To solve this issue, i've put kitchen aluminium paper arround the S-ata cable of the macbook pro...

This is a known issue due to the quality of the cable in the laptop.

With the aluminium paper i've the normal speed in S-ata3 mode.

Best regards.

Thanks for the tip. I heard about the shielding fix. I guess the kitchen foil idea is a cheap workaround. It's crazy that Apple can't provide an up to spec connector for such an expensive computer. I will be fitting the drive on Friday so I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Kraznet

Hello Kraznet i've installer a Force3 120GB on my macbook pro 15 2011 with a sandy bridge i7.

The SSD drive was detected has a S-ata2 drive.

To solve this issue, i've put kitchen aluminium paper arround the S-ata cable of the macbook pro...

This is a known issue due to the quality of the cable in the laptop.

With the aluminium paper i've the normal speed in S-ata3 mode.

Best regards.

Hey I have it in my 15inc MBP and it works fine. i thought the aluminum fix was only for the 17 inchers

Hey I have it in my 15inc MBP and it works fine. i thought the aluminum fix was only for the 17 inchers

Good point, I seem to remember reading that it was the 17 inchers causing the problem which is why I am a bit nervous. Although if you look around the forums there seems the various issues with most makes of Sata3 SSD drives and they are not always confined to the 17 inchers. But I guess the only people that post on forums are the ones having problems. So maybe there's a big percentage of people who aren't having problem with Sata3 SSD drives. But they are fairly new on the market so I guess that's the penalty we pay for being on the bleeding edge of technology:cool:

Well I installed the Force 3 into the MacBook Pro and I'm using the Install DVD that came with the computer . But so far when I open Disc Utilities there is no HD in the list only the superdrive. I tried initializing the SSD drive on my PC using MacDrive but it still wasn't recognised by the Snow Leopard install DVD . So I'm going with the 5400 drive it came with for now as I need to use the computer tomorrow.

Cheers

Kraznet

Well I gave up trying to use the Force 3 120 GB in my brand-new MacBook Pro 17". The drive was never recognised. As a test I inserted a 120 GB SSD of another brand V----3 and the MacBook Pro recognised that no problems.

Unfortunately I have been unable to install Boot Camp and Windows 7 which is essential for my work, on this drive . I've tried a dozen times to do it and encountered various problems. One of them was that Windows was unable to format the drive. Or when it did manage to was getting unpredictable freezes once I got into Windows and then was unable to boot back into Windows. Basically the whole process was very random and flaky. So basically neither of the SSD 3 drives work with Boot Camp.

My latest attempt has involved me putting in a Corsair Force 2 60 GB. This drive was recognised immediately and I've installed Snow Leopard no problems. I have also managed to install Windows 7 using Boot Camp with zero problems. I also managed to update using the Boot Camp drivers. So basically everything is up and running using the Corsair Force Series 2 SSD drive.

This leads me to the conclusion that there are big problems with MacBook Pro's, in my case the 17" 2011 model, when trying to install Windows 7 using Boot Camp on SATA 3 drives. Whether this will be resolved in an update like OSX Lion I've no idea. Incidentally also tried to install boot camp and Windows 7 after updating to the latest version of OS X 10.6.8 and still had the same problems.

The fact still remains that throughout this process I was unable to get my MBP to recognise my Corsair Force 120 GB drive which is a big disappointment. However even if it had recognised it I still think I would have had the same problems with installing Windows 7 using Boot Camp as I did with the other drive from another manufacturer.

Regards

Kraznet

Here's my latest update for anyone who's interested. I gave up using the Corsair for my MBP so I put it in my desktop PC which has a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3. I cloned my Windows 7 OS onto the Corsair SSD. Now I'm getting a "disc read error" and I'm only able to boot into Windows 7 about 1 in 4 or 5 starts. So I've removed the Corsair and returned to the previous SSD ******** which is fine. So basically I have a Corsair Force Series 3 1124xxx which doesn't work in my MBP and is giving me errors in my Windows 7 desktop computer. What to do next?

Regards

Kraznet

Well I'm going to have one more try and do a clean install on my other i5 760 computer tonight and see if I can get the Force Series 3 happening without errors. I've also decided to return the MacBook Pro as there is obviously problems with that model. I will continue using my current PC laptop and buy a customised one in the future. I will give Apple a miss from now on.

Regards

Kraznet

OK so I installed the F3 in my i5 760 desktop and did a clean install of W7 Pro x64 without problems . All is running fine now although its on an SATA2 bus but thats fine.

On reflection my foray into the Mac world wasted 3 days and made me realize that even Apple has problems with their hardware, evidenced by the fact that the F3 was unrecognised my the MBP and the many discussions I found on forums about people having SSD SATA3 probems on their MBP's . I feel a sense of relief that I've returned it and I can get on with my life now .

Cheers

Kraznet

Archived