Corsair Community

Time warp - SSD drive not saving after cold boot/restart

visual1ce

Hi,

Sys specs: Fujitsu T4215 tablet running Ubuntu 10.10 with full disk encryption (software encryption).

I have a Corsair SSD - CSSD-F120GB2. I received this drive after two OCZ drives failed.

Now I am experiencing the same problem with this drive that I did with the last drive I had just before it failed and I am betting that by tomorrow it will be dead - not detectable by BIOS.

This is what happens: I make a dummy file named blah on desktop. I restart - file gone. It is as if it never existed... I think you might gauge how frustrating and exasperating this can be if you're doing important work.

It is also extremely bizarre.

There are some qualifications to this behaviour... it seems as though the length of time that the file is written to disk seems to have some effect on whether it stays. Also, if I reboot the file is still there but if I do a cold start after the reboot - gone.

How weird is this? :confused:

Oh look, Update manager has just popped up telling me to install dhcp updates... FOR THE NTH TIME!!! <no flame intended - just expressing my frustration and amazement)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

visual1ce

I have the same problem on w7, my IBM T61p and new Corsair F120.

Rebooting usually works, but a cold boot always resets the drive to the previous state (= I copied a Acronis w7 image from the old non-SSD drive).

Tried to disable write cache on the drive, but that was initially removed after reboot. Disabled write cache again and wanted to force the write before rebooting, so I copied 3 GB data to the drive. Rebooted and the write cache was still disabled... nice!

Thought I'd just test it and created a new folder on the desktop, rebooted the system and surprise, surprise... the disk was back to its initial state. All 3 GB data was gone and so was the "disable write cache" option on the drive.

Archived