Corsair Community

P128 and VBM18C1Q FW

I got myself the P128 drive today, hoping that it would have the latest firmware (VBM18C1Q), which is said to be vastly superior to the one that my drive has (VBM1801Q), so I'm a bit disappointed.

There doesn't seem to be a downloadable version on this site (or is there), so my quesiton is will I be able to update eventuallyß HD Tune reports the FW as upgradable, after all...

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
At this time there are no firmware upgrade tools or utilities available to us, although I would suspect that once Windows 7 is closer to being released there will be a solution in place.

Thanks for the answer, although sadly it's not what I would have liked to hear.

I wish I could share your optimism about a FW update and Win 7, but I can't see how one should be connected to the other, given that any user of the drive would benefit from the updated FW...

As far as I know the FW update contains an algorithm that gives the memory cells an automatic refresh after 1 hour of inactivity, which greatly helps keeping the essential write speeds at the same level as at the beginning, so this would be something that's entirely OS independent.

• Corsair Employee
Currently there is not a firmware update tool available from Samsung for end users to use. Until a tool is made available there will be no way to update the firmware. As I understand it, there will be a solution available as we get closer to the official release of Windows 7.

There is no new firmware all of our drives have the latest Firmware available.

I think its pretty common knowledge that Samsung have VBM18C1Q and VBM1801Q drives out in the wild... my drive is a 01 so i've been waiting for the update tool as i really want working "garbage collection".

Not sure what the point in saying there is no new firmware is when everyone knows there is an update.

windows 7 supports an command on the that is linked the NTFS or file system level so when an file is deleted it send an command to the SSD to tell it that that part of the disk is now free and at its own time on the SSD it can perform an clean up to prevent the SSD from going into an Slow state (it erases the free space basically once the file has been remove)

samsung based SSDs take a lot longer to degrade then Indilinx based ssds as they can degrade within an week (note are you going to be offering an wiper tool for the corsair X SSDs as they most likely need it) a lot of the time it does depend on how much you Write to it

i have my corsair S128 and it has not dropped in speed yet (2 months)

i also have this drive with the old firmware and was wondering i want to raid 0 2 if i get sent the new firmware would i need to update the old firmware to match the new before they worked together and if so wheres the tool to do it, windows 7 will be out soon which supports trim do these drives old/new firmware support it?

thanks

• Corsair Employee
(note are you going to be offering an wiper tool for the corsair X SSDs as they most likely need it?)

A: Yes these drives will come with Utilities to do these functions. They are not yet released so I do not know exactly what will be included.

hammyuk: Did the drive come from us or do you have one from another source?

• Corsair Employee
These drives should have the latest Firmware and there has not been a newer version released for these drives at this time as I have stated several times in this and other threads if there is one available it will be released AS soon as its available to us. And if this gets brought up again in this thread I will close the thread.

• Corsair Employee

hammyuk

Is there a firmware you can get for any Samsung SSD that we have used, any where?

No Not at this time when there is we will post one if it applies to our SSD's...

As I have said before we are working with Samsung now and they have told us they are working on a utility but it is not clear if it will be made public, when I have more information I will be sure to post it in the F.A.Q.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear RAM guy,

I just recieved my P128 (s/N and firmware as above). I would like you to clarify if my drive has the self cleaning function.

Like Paolo64, and many others, I bought the P128 thinking it had the "self-healing" or "garbage collection" ability. Upon reading the forums and other reviews eg http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136/2 it is clear that this functionality is only available on firmware VBM18C1Q.

However, you mention in the following post that there is no problem with either firmware:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=80120

There are two Firmware versions for this product but there are no issues that I am aware of with either version. Current version VBM18C1Q and parts manufactured before 6-30-09 version VBM1801Q.

Are you having a problem?

You also state to Hammyuk on thread , where he says his lot number is 09230615 , the same as mine:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79679&page=2

These drives should have the latest Firmware and there has not been a newer version released for these drives at this time as I have stated several times in this and other threads if there is one available it will be released AS soon as its available to us. And if this gets brought up again in this thread I will close the thread.

So to conclude:

a) You say that both firmware versions VBM1801Q and VBM18C1Q report no problems.

b) Lot number 09230615 will have the latest firmware on it, when in fact mine clearly states VBM1801Q on the sticker on the back.

Does my drive have the self cleaning function ? If it doesn't I will send it back to ZipZoom Fly because that is why I bought it.

I know that Samsung do not allow end users to update the firmware - the OCZ forum admins say one is on the way and indeed you also confirm this , but are unsure when or even IF this will actually take place.

I personall suspect that they will release a new firmware, to incorporate TRIM when windows 7 comes out and leave us VBM1801Q users out in the cold.

Thanks

Archived