The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 351734
TotalAmnesia Reputation: 10

Just in case it helps, I have taken some more Screenshots from SiSoft XII2.SP2b and CPUZ. These are the default settings thet the motherboard chooses with this ram. Obviously the speed is too low but I am desperately clutching at straws...

I think in 'Default' DDR-1333 mode the ram is actually running at 300Mhz*4 and not 333Mhz*4. The X48 Chipset is using strance multiples as it's lowest common factor whan synchronizing FSB Clocks and RAM Clocks.

In the Bios it is using the SPD for DDR3-1333 which it considers safe, though as I said it is under-clocking a bit to help it sync with the 1600FSB. Some AMD CPUs did the same trick depending on there clock speed, giving you less bandwidth than the RAM was rated at as they needed to do some dodgy maths to get everything in sync.

It should automatically working at 400Mhz*4 if only the XMP profile would kick in. If I knew the the full tCL,tRC,tRP,tRAS,tRFC,tRRD,tWR,tWTR and any undocumented chipset adjustments that XMP enables then I could do this by hand. I know the first 4 are 7-7-7-20, the Voltage is 1.9v and the Command rate is 2T. Everything else is guesswork.

In theory the XMP DDR3-1600, this motherboard for which XMP was intended, and a 1600FSB CPU should be a match made in heaven, but it just won't play nicely. As it passed a full run of memtest86+ (but only on 8-8-8-22) my gut feeling is that the RAM is probably OK and I just need a voltage tweak (ICH9 or DDR3 Overvolting?) and the full tRFC,tRRD,tWR,tWTR values from the XMP ROM which I could enter by hand. Although I have built my last 4 PC's from scratch I have not overclocked or meddled with any of the advanced BIOS settings so I a really ignorant about tweaking stuff like this.

Amarica-to-Europe time shift is going to be fun. It's really late/early in the UK now so I've got to go to bed, 3,30AM!!!, I'll be back in 6 or 7 hours, thanks for your help

Good night, back tomorrow. Zzzzzzz zzz z z

EDIT: Extra info...

I have rooted about in the bios and found the following values which may or may not help. Is the MCH voltage high enough to cope with DDR3-1600?. I know overclockers play with this value to get older X38 motherboards to work with your fast ram but I assumed I would not have to. If that's what it takes though I will give it a try if you tell me what to do.

MCH/ICH Voltage Override: 1.250
FSB Voltage Override: 1.20
Processor Multiplier: Auto
Host Clock Frequency: Auto
Half Ratio Multiplier: Disable
Processor Speed: 3.2 Ghz
processor Voltage: 1.325

EDIT: More extra info...

Intel have now added a short but shiny new document expounding the virtues of this new motherboard "Introducing the Intel® Desktop Board DX48BT2 Extreme Series". They do indeed state "Two DIMM sockets designed to support up to 4 GB of DDR3 1600 MHz memory" (the black sockets).

http://download.intel.com/products/m...duct_brief.pdf

I've double checked on the Corsair site and I did buy the right ram for an intel motherboard, it says "Tested together at 1600MHz, Vdimm = 1.9V, at latency settings of 7-7-7-20 on Intel Extreme Series motherboards":
http://www2.corsair.com/_datasheets/T...600C7DHXIN.pdf

The combination should go off like a rocket rather than a landmine. It this combo doesn't work by the time I get the huge credit card bill for al this new kit then I am going to go beyond 'Desperate' and into 'Total Tormented Vexation' mode.

PS

Sorry Ram Guy, I don't mean to ramble on or irritate you, it's just that I am starting to panic. I've been at this for days , I choose quality brands like Intel & Corsair and normally it all just works first time. I 've had it boot into windows for a while at 7-7-7-20 but it's just not stable. The blue screen's say somthing like DRIVER_NOT_LESSTHAN_OR EQUAL and the crashes are in random programs and services. Reboots just happen without warning and leave no clues. I'm so close and yet so far. This combination must have worked for someone else, in theory it's all great kit and I don't want to RMA anything if it's just a config issue.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPUZ-Tab4.jpg (35.6 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg CPU-Z Tab5.jpg (41.0 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg SiSoft.jpg (63.1 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg SiSoft2.jpg (83.2 KB, 458 views)

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-04-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added more info now I've had 6 hours sleep and time to think.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 351779
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:57 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 351786

Thanks Ram Guy, if it sounds like bad ram to you then I will take your advice and send them back.

I am in the UK, I don't know if this causes any problems. If it does I will go through my original local supplier, but I will inform them that I am following your advice.

As you've been kind enought to help, and it may also assist others with a similar problem I will keep you posted as to whether this cures the problem. I don't know how long it will take but I WILL give you an update so you know how it turns out. If there is still a problem then I will also RMA the motherboard, either way the problem will get sorted. Thanks again!

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-04-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Correcting bad english...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 351787

It sounds like some other problem from what you have posted but let's try replacing the modules and go from there.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 351797
Thumbs up

Hmm, that sounds worrying. I hope it's not the motherboard as well.
OK then, talk to you soon, hopefully with much joy and relief. This will probably take a few days to sort out. I've got a way to move forward from here so I better get started. Bye for now...

Old 06-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 351813

NP Please let me know how you make out!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 AM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 351915

No problem RamGuy, I will keep you posted.

As there is a non-zero chance my Motherboard is bad I have found a way to swapping it out for another identical DX48BT2 that I can get hold of in a few days. I am only doing this first as this is relatively quick and easy for me to do compared to the RMA and I can eliminate the Motherboard as the cause. I like to be methodical

I will then re-test using the current memory and see if it then works. This will also help us both discover if there is a pettern of some sort. You are probably right about changing the RAM but if it fails twice then I will then be 100% sure it's the DDR3 and will RMA it (as you suggest) knowing I covered all the other obvious possibilities.

Thanks for you help, this forum is great!

Back soon with an update...

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-05-2008 at 08:07 AM.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 351953

NP and yes please do let us know!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:28 AM
moogman79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352266
moogman79 Reputation: 10

I have used the same board ...
I have use Corsair 1333 Mhz DDR3 Ram with a QX9650....

My board also restarts few times.
PSU is checked with 2 another Boards it stable.
Dont forgett to use a North bridge cooler (40x40,20 FAN).

If tried it already with a cooler but the bard wont work stable...
After a BIOS Upgrade the board would be more worse than before....
I have send it back to my supplier,

Now i have choosed MSI P7N2 but this board wont eighter work for me
the northbrige was faulty (no stable PCIe communication, GPU freezes, CPU freezes, and memory errors go along with each other)

lol i have now testet 3 Board all of them where defect ....

ASUS P5E DDR2-1066 with Corsair, wont work stable (memmory controller issue?) -> back to my supplier
Intel X48 DDR3-1333MHZ with Corsair, reboots
MSI P7N2 DDR3-1333MHZ with Corsair, faulty northbridge...

But my old
Asus P5N-32 E / SLI CPU-E6700 is now working stable with the latest bios release (14.X)
and 4x 1Gb Ram (DDR2-800MHZ non Corsair ram, sorry)
befor this release (bios 11.x), it was unstable like hell.

MADE IN CHINA *what whould YOU expect*

Last edited by moogman79; 06-07-2008 at 05:34 AM.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:41 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352300

Hi moogman79,

Sounds like you've been having a bad time too. Same motherboard. Interesting...

Don't give up hope. I think the thing to do is try different combinations of motherboard and ram and work out which ones are stable. I will keep the current Corsair sticks for one more test as my gut feeling is they are OK. If not then RamGuy's given me a way to return them.

Note:
I tried cooling the northbridge with a massive 120mm fan, it's an overkill and kept both ram and NB very cool. it didn't help though so I don't think it's an overheating problem. I think the first wave of these new X48 boards may be experiencing 'issues'.

I also tested the power draw of my machine under load and it was just over 300W, my PSU of 620W+ should be more than enough to cover it. Your PSU is Gigantic and should be able to run a small town!.

I believe Corsair when they say there ram should work at 7-7-7-20 2T at 1600 Mhz, and it's been tested in an Intel extreme series motherboard. A new DX48BT2 motherboard is going in on monday with any luck and I will retest. This ram and motherboars SHOULD work well together. If after changing both RAM and Motherboard things still don't work then perhaps Corsair/Intel can take a closer look in there own labs.

Status update should be a about Wed/Thur after I have done a few passes of Memtest86+ and some games of Company Of Heroes!.

EDIT: Update...
Replacement motherboard did not arrive this afternoon, fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow morning. If anyone gets the DX48BT2 and DDR3-1600 working before I do I would be most interested to know the details. Back soon...

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-09-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Updated status. Still waiting for motherboard. Ram re-test on hold.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 352605

Have you tried testing the modules one at a time?
And what are the exact settings you had set for both CPU and memory?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:41 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352621

For all tests the 3.2Ghz CPU was running at it's default settings. No FSB overclock or multiplier overclock.

EDIT:
I have attached a screenshot from CPU-Z

The Default FSB for this model runs at 1600 Mhz FSB (400*4).
Memory voltage was set to 1.9V, all tests were at 2T.

EDIT:
The Memory options in the bios is as follows:
Performance Memory Profiles: Auto/Manual
Reference Frequency: Default/400/333/266/200
Memory Frequency 1600/1333/1066/800
I chose the bold options.

In 'Auto' mode it choses the closest JDEC settings it can find which match a multiple of the 400Mhz so it under clocks the RAM to 1200Mhz and uses the standard JDEC timings. This is 100% stable but isn't as fast as one would hope for.

I have heard this motherboard is not happy if the FSB clock is set to 400 and RAM Reference Frewuency clock set to 333 but if you think it's worth a try...

When set to Manual I tried the following RAM timings, the first of which would not boot and the rest entered windows but crashed the machine in random ways in <10 mins:
(tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS) (tRFC, tRRD , tWR , tWTR , tRTP):

7-7-7-20 60,4,10,5,5
7-7-7-20 60,5,15,6,6
7-7-7-20 60,5,15,7,7
7-7-7-20 60,6,15,7,7

Then I tried the following which ran for longer but often caused re-boots and lockups.
8-8-8-22 60,4,10,5,5
8-8-8-22 60,5,15,6,6
8-8-8-22 60,5,15,7,7*
8-8-8-22 60,6,15,7,7**

* The vista memory test detected no errors on these settings.
**I ran memtest86+ for one full pass using these settings and it ran through the whole address space without errors.

Finally I tried the following which worked for an hour or two but caused applications to crash. Fewer lockups and reboots but still not good.
9-9-9-24 60,4,10,5,5
9-9-9-24 60,5,15,6,6
9-9-9-24 60,5,15,7,7
9-9-9-24 60,6,15,7,7

All the above values in green were from other RAM forums and were used for non-XMP versions of this memory and other similar DDR3-1600 ram of the same. I am unable to set any of these values individually to 'Auto', I actually need to enter a value. The tRFC, tRRD , tWR , tWTR , tRTP settings for the corsair memory are not published so I had to guess. When all this failed I thought it wise to post a message on this forum as I had run out of ideas.

EDIT:I did not think to test each RAM stick individually at 7-7-7-20 but I will gladly do so tomorrow.
Which values for tRFC, tRRD , tWR , tWTR and tRTP should I use?

As you see, I tried quite a lot of combinations. Other folk using 2Gb modules with XMP from both your self and other manufacturers appear to be able to choose XMP Profiles in the bios of X48 Motherboards from various manufacturers, just like you can for SLI memory on an nVidia chipset. Are you able to find out the 'official' tRFC, tRRD , tWR , tWTR , tRTP values known for this RAM?, the ones they are tested with at 1600Mhz on Intel Extreme motherboards?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPU-Z Processor.jpg (48.3 KB, 471 views)

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-10-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added screenshot and extra info to help Ram Guy

Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 352677

You can get the tested settings from the link in my signature and if the setting is not listed it should be set to AUTO or BIOS default. I will look and see if I can check this MB and see if there is anything that would need to be specifically set. But the tested posted settings should be the first reference.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352717

Hi RamGuy,

Thanks for that. Is this what you are refering to?

Testing parameters for TWIN3X/XMS3-1600C7DHX (IN):
TWIN3X2048-16000C7DHX Data Sheet Coming Soon

Motherboard make and model: ASUS P5K3, P5E3 Premium/Deluxe !
Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
Advanced
Jumper Free
AI Overclock: Manual
CPU Ratio Control:Manual
FSB Frequency: 400 MHz
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1600 MHz
DRAM Timings Control: Manual
CAS# Latency:___________7
RAS# to CAS# Delay:______7
RAS# Precharge:__________7
RAS# Activate to Precharge:20
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Voltage:__________1.500V
CPU PLL Voltage:_______1.6V
DRAM Voltage:_________1.8V (1.9V for 4 Gig 2X 2.0 Gig)
FSB Termination Voltage:_1.3V
North Bridge Voltage:____1.55V
All settings not listed should be left at AUTO or BIOS Default
Maximum DDR3 recommended VDIMM: 2.00 Volts

I already searched through your link last week but it looked like the DX48BT2 had not yet been tested by an engineer yet, though on paper it all looked compatible.

If you could look to find what values your Intel Extreme motherboards are using I would be most interested.

I would guess you may have tested on the older X38 based DX38BT versions or with an older version of the Bios. Both motherboards share the same BIOS. I have tried these modules with version 1554 (The latest) and 1552 of the bios. The previous version of the bios did not have the extra 5 timing parameters but was even more unstable and would not even boot with non JDEC values.

Your help is very much appreciated. I don't think any other memory company would offer this level of customer care and this is the first time I have had trouble with any of your modules. This is why I am suspecting it could be a bug in the current BIOS or Intel motherboards.

Perhaps each side assumed the other was going to test this combination but it never happened. Intel did once produce a bad bios that did not work with the latest quad core chips and Vista-64, which was a bit of an oversight!.

Replacement motherboard was shipped today and should arrive tomorrow. If things still don't work this should narrow the possibilities to either a generic bios/X48 bug or problems with the ram it's self. I will retest with any tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, tRFC, tRRD , tWR , tWTR , tRTP timings you think are good.

Speak to you soon and thanks again for taking the time to investigate...

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-10-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 352755

I would try and test them on a different make of MB if you can. And yes we have tested the X48 Intel chipset but as a reference MB not the retail version that I know of but I am sure we will later and it will be posted in Performance Reports