Corsair Community

A200 Pro RAM timing issue

Guest techildllc

Guest techildllc

I noticed that the RAM timing on my new A200 is not as expected. But maybe the A200 doesnt actually use the same 3200MHz LPX RAM that Corsair sells on their website?

GdiBXeQ.png

If you look at the timing spec of the 64GB (2 x 32GB) Vengeance LPX RAM. You should be able to hit: Tested Latency 16-20-20-38 with XPM profile.

I tried setting/ modifying the timing in the ASRock BIOS with no luck. The XPM profile loaded there is the same as the attached picture (18-22-22-42). A manual attempt to adjust the timing results in the BIOS loading failsafe timing.

Is Corsair using lower grade RAM? That's really disappointing if that's the case, I will have to pull the ram out and see.

Edit: I just pulled the RAM out, and the mystery gets even worse?

FTsZ7rR.jpeg

Part number resembles a 32GB stick, but label shows 16GB. Timing is definitely worse than anything you can buy from Corsair retail.

Edited by techildllc

The part number on top represents that it is from a 32GB Kit, and that each stick is 16GB of 18-22-22-42 RAM.

CL18 RAM for a $4400 system is another thing that is not acceptable. Especially with Ryzen, which is very dependent on memory speed. A kit of CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 is only $200, and this should have been what they put in this system.

Every Ryzen chip I've seen has been able to use 3600MHz sticks of RAM. If you aren't going to return that system, and I strongly suggest you do, then I would say replace that with a kit of CMK32GX4M2K3600C16

Guest techildllc
The part number on top represents that it is from a 32GB Kit, and that each stick is 16GB of 18-22-22-42 RAM.

CL18 RAM for a $4400 system is another thing that is not acceptable. Especially with Ryzen, which is very dependent on memory speed. A kit of CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 is only $200, and this should have been what they put in this system.

Every Ryzen chip I've seen has been able to use 3600MHz sticks of RAM. If you aren't going to return that system, and I strongly suggest you do, then I would say replace that with a kit of CMK32GX4M2K3600C16

So there are a couple problems with the RAM I pulled out of the system.

This system is suppose to have 64GB of RAM (2 x 32GB Stick), which it does according to the BIOS and iCue and Windows Task manager. But the sticker does NOT match what the actual ram is. Kind of concerning for sure.

Whats even worse is if you look at all the LPX RAM that Corsair offers via retail, all the 3200MHz sticks are C16 or faster regardless of 32GB or 16GB sticks. Its only when you get to 3600MHz, do you get C18 timing. So where did they fish this out of? Probably bottom of the barrel ones that binned terribly! This is my main problem. => They advertise Vengeance LPX RAM without explicitly saying the timing, and you assume that since all their offerings of Vengeance LPX is C16, thats what you would get as well in the system. NOPE, not the case!

And Yes, you are correct, with a Ryzen, you get the best performance with a 3600MHz kit! Pretty annoying they also didnt offer that! Even if they did offer that, I would still go with a set of Crucial ballistix 64gb kit (2x32gb) 3600MHz as that offers the same low profile design and more importantly C16 timing, something that Corsair does NOT offer.

I will give Corsair a couple of days or up to a week or so to come back with some sort of resolution or explanation before I go down the path of a return.

I expect some sort of appropriate response or compensation as these kind of practices are deceptive at best and borderline fraudulent. I would advocate anyone to stay AWAY from this until Corsair appropriately addresses these glaring issues.

The main reason they put 3200MHz in there is because that is the 'Official' spec for Ryzen processors.

I've personally handled a 3600, 3 different 3900X, 2 different 5800x, and a 5950x. All of them were able to run 3600MHz RAM. This is also the max supported speed for the fabric that links the chiplets together, after that the fabric clock desyncs from the memory clock.

So Corsair can't advertise / use 3600MHz RAM... but considering the cost they could've put in CL16 sticks to make up some of the performance loss

• Corsair Employee

We do appreciate the feedback. The stickers do seem off but if your BIOs and Task Manager is reading 64 GB then that's fine.

We configure the timings and speeds of the RAM to maintain thermals inside the C1 chassis. Every component we put into the system is configured towards that goal.

Guest techildllc
We do appreciate the feedback. The stickers do seem off but if your BIOs and Task Manager is reading 64 GB then that's fine.

We configure the timings and speeds of the RAM to maintain thermals inside the C1 chassis. Every component we put into the system is configured towards that goal.

Well, its good an all that its reading correctly in the BIOS, but what if down the line I wanted to upgrade my RAM and sell the existing ones to recoup some cost? I am sure its gonna pose some issues for the next buyer, especially if I am selling it online. Who's going to believe that Corsair put the wrong sticker on it and that its really not 16GB sticks but 32GB?

A CL16 and CL18 does NOT make enough of a thermal difference to justify the performance hit.

......Or is it because you guys are using lower bin-ed memory that didn't hit the CL16 timing for retail sale. Hmmmm.....whats more likely? I think any one can see through this thinly vailed excuse here!

• 1 month later...