The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 08:42 AM

POST ID # = 1012337
Rishav Reputation: 10
Default MM H2O and CFM

Does anybody know difference between MMH2O and CFM while buying the liquid coolers?

What does it represents?

Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1012363
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute. This is a representation of the volume of air a fan can move in a given amount of time (1 minute). Occasionally done as Liters (or cubic meters) per hour (L/h). Note this volume is the specification for "free air", like if it were sitting upright on your desk. The volume when pushing air through a radiator, dust filter, or case mesh will always be lower and that is really where the differentiation in fan design becomes important. A fan with thin, steeply raked blades will be dramatically affected by resistance. A fan with wider, flat blades is not as affected. The CFM is always a starting point. You need to understand the way it will be used and that small differences in CFM (70 vs 65) are not going to show up as temperature changes. And of course, CFM is RPM dependent. A 140mm fan that moves 60 cfm at 2000 rpm will only move half that much at 1000 rpm. In reality, most fans are not strictly linear in their P-Q curve (airflow/pressure/RPM), but most of the time estimating is all we can do to compare fan air flow levels.

MM H20 or millimeters of water is a measurement of "static pressure". This is the amount of negative pressure it takes to make a fan come to a complete stop at xxx RPM. This value is very much RPM dependent. A little tiny 25mm fan will have a massive pressure rating at 5000 rpm. That does not mean it is moving a lot of air or that it would make a good radiator fan. Too much gets made of this, but if the MM H20 value is below 1.0, that fan is definitely meant for case airflow only -- no radiators. It likely will be affected by a dust filter. Fan with values in the 2-4.0 range are more common for radiator or direct cooling use, but again, remember the value is RPM specific. A ML140-RGB fan has a seemingly unimpressive 1.27 mm value. Compare that to the the ML140 Pro that is rated at 3.0? Much better? No, it is the same fan. The ML140RGB has a maximum speed of 1200 rpm. The Pro 2000 rpm. At 1200 rpm, both fans have identical statistics and are the same fan blade. You must actually be running at 2000 rpm to realize the increased resistance to pressure and that is not a good reason to do so. You must move more air across a surface to have a better cooling effect and the faster you go, the harder it is to make meaningful gains.

In response to your other query, there is a hidden trade-off when it comes to fan blade design. If you make the fan blade wide and flat, you get better static pressure, but less airflow. If you make the fan blades numerous, thin, and steep, you get better airflow but it becomes more impacted by resistance. Something like a radiator will cut the actual CFM of a fan in half. That is a broad estimate, but just to give you an idea. You then get into this weird quandary where at lower speeds, a static pressure fan is better at cooling and at higher speeds the airflow fan provides better result. In reality, most people are somewhere in the middle. They run their fans at medium speeds, don't want it too loud, not willing to keep them at 500 rpm and live with high temperatures. As a result, a fan in between the two archetypes above is often the best performer for actual use. Something like an ML or HD fan are really hybrids of the two archetypes (SP and AF). I won't get into why the SP-RGB fan exists or why it has that label, but it is a hybrid fan like most of the others and is not the same as something like a SP120 High Performance Edition fan. Those are the wide flat blades of a static pressure designed fan. That does not mean it is more or less preferable. The other thing that comes with a wide, flat blade... fan blade noise.

Last edited by c-attack; 07-24-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Predictive text sucks

Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM

POST ID # = 1012371

Thanks for great explanation. Could you please let me know which cpu liquid cooler will be best.

1. H100i platinum RGB with ML series fan
Or
2. H100i v2 extreme performance with SP series fan.

Both models have diff series of fan where SP series in static pressure and ML series is airflow series.
So which will work best for radiators with dust filter for maximum performance?

Old 07-24-2019, 12:56 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1012377

Fans are replaceable and should not generally determine what cooler you buy. The grey SP120L fans that come on the H100i v2 have never been loved by the community. My feelings are even stronger and I have 10 still in their plastic baggies.

Regardless of fans, unless there is a massive price difference, you should be looking at the H100i Pro vs H100i Platinum. The H100i v2 has been replaced and I do not recommend it. There are other more extensive threads discussing the differences between the Pro and Platinum coolers, but the immediate things of note are:

1) Price -> The platinum will cost more with because it comes with $60 worth of high speed ML120-RGB fans. The Pro will have standard, non-RGB ML120 fans.

2) The Platinum can serve as a standalone lighting controller for the pump and two fans. If you have no other Corsair RGB fans, this thing plugs right in and you can play with the lighting. The Pro is a simple pump RGB ring for a more subtle lighting effect.

3) Fan - they are the same blade. Platinum model has rgb fans. Pro standard grey.

4) I would suggest looking through the post titles on the cooling page. The Pro series has been very reliable since launch. The Platinum coolers had a few more teething issues. If you want to plug in and not think about this again, the Pro series is the way to go.

Last edited by c-attack; 07-24-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:23 PM

POST ID # = 1012437

Thanks again for great explanation. I am not big fan of RGB.

I want a solid cool performance instead of looking RGB all the time. So you are suggesting Pro model is far better than Platinum.

But in your post you said platinum has high speed pump and high speed ML120 fans than pro. Then platinum would have better performance than Pro. Right?

Please let me know if i m wrong in terms of pump and fan speed. Because in general if any kodel has high speed than other. We always percept it will be a good model.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1012439

I occasionally forget the H100i Pro has different ML fans compared to the H150i. Both the Platinum and Pro 240mm coolers have 2400 rpm ML fans. Pretty sure you don’t want to use all that, but ultimately your choice. Maximum pump speed is also the same on both models. Regardless, small changes in pump or fan speed do not result in coolant temperature changes and thus no cpu temp change either. There are probably 3rd party reviews out there that compare both coolers, but if you are not interested in RGB the Platinum may be a bit extravagant.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:26 PM

POST ID # = 1012440

Now i am getting confused in 3 different models which i can choose. May be you could help me to choose the best liquid cooler.

1. H100i platinum rgb
2. Nzxt kraken x52
3. Coolermaster ML240R

Thank you

Last edited by Technobeard; 07-25-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: removed odd characters

Old 07-25-2019, 02:30 AM

POST ID # = 1012451

Not sure, if someone will help me choosing best Liquid CPU cooler in market for 2019.

If someone would, i will appreciate the same.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:26 AM

POST ID # = 1012466

And in most of the post on internet. End users have preferred the H100i V2 AIO instead of Platinum and Pro.

And as per you platinum and Pro series is best which is having ML series FANS.

And H100i V2 has SP series Fans.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:27 AM

POST ID # = 1012467

And in most of the post on internet. End users have preferred the H100i V2 AIO instead of Platinum and Pro.

And as per you platinum and Pro series is best which is having ML series FANS.

And H100i V2 has SP series Fans.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1012470

The H100i v2 pre-dates the Pro and Platinum coolers. It is far more likely they chose it because that was the newest at the time, rather than an actual weighed decision over the two newer models.

This is a Corsair site, so we really can’t give a list of Pros and Cons for competing brands. There are other places to find reviews of each. I am biased. My Pro cooler has works very well. I’ve had 3 X62, each one a replacement for the failed prior. The last is still sealed in plastic. I don’t favor CM at all. If you are new to water cooling, I think the H100i Pro is a good choice. It has a very favorable history of reliability and can be quieter than some of the others at low speeds.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 AM

POST ID # = 1012477

Thanks for the explanation.

How's the Deep cool Captain 240 EX RBG?

Do you have any idea?

Old 07-26-2019, 01:00 AM

POST ID # = 1012560

I am planning to buy Corsair H80i V2 Liquid cooler. How's is that. Will it keep cool the overclocked i58600K CPU at full load?