Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 07:59 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 806078
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimreaper View Post
That was my thoughts. the coolant shouldn't reach that temp.
You can't make blanket statements like this. The water temperature is room temp + cpu waste heat + system waste heat. There is no proper water temperature limit and what is an acceptable reading for an 18C room isn't the same as a 30C environment. Two of those three values are unknown and no steps have been taken to try and ascertain whether the 51C water temp was a legitimate reading or a software monitoring glitch. In fact, no analysis of any type has been discussed. The huge disparity between that number and the 1hr prime water temps should be raising concerns that something else may be responsible, unless you believe the water temperature ran 10C warmer with less than half the CPU load. It's certainly possible the unit is defective, but nothing you have provided so far suggests a flow problem and none of the typical questions have been asked.

You can do whatever you like, but I would at least take 5 minutes to make sure the block is seated properly before you RMA the unit and donate $25 to UPS. Any other issues, if present, will still be there when you get the next unit. Incidentally, you are about 0.14V over the stock voltage on your Prime run in the data provided. Certainly well within safe limits and not responsible for the high idle, but do take that into account when comparing temperatures.

Last edited by c-attack; 09-10-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Slimreaper's PC Specs

POST ID # = 806079
Slimreaper Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
You can't make blanket statements like this. The water temperature is room temp + cpu waste heat + system waste heat. There is no proper water temperature limit and what is an acceptable reading for an 18C room isn't the same as a 30C environment. Two of those three values are unknown and no steps have been taken to try and ascertain whether the 51C water temp was a legitimate reading or a software monitoring glitch. In fact, no analysis of any type has been discussed. The huge disparity between that number and the 1hr prime water temps should be raising concerns that something else may be responsible, unless you believe the water temperature ran 10C warmer with less than half the CPU load. It's certainly possible the unit is defective, but nothing you have provided so far suggests a flow problem and none of the typical questions have been asked.

You can do whatever you like, but I would at least take 5 minutes to make sure the block is seated properly before you RMA the unit and donate $25 to UPS. Any other issues, if present, will still be there when you get the next unit. Incidentally, you are about 0.14V over the stock voltage on your Prime run in the data provided. Certainly well within safe limits and not responsible for the high idle, but do take that into account when comparing temperatures.
Sigh...
You aren't saying anything I don't know. Let me rephrase. Under proper circumstances, coolant temp hitting 51c is not normal. Hitting 41c is getting warm.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:41 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 806087
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

Quote:
51C is high for a water temperature, but it's not out of bounds. .
Ops pics show water temp of 41c which for an hour of stressing isnt terribly bad.Id determine how long it took to reach 41c,also consider the cooling layout,things appear to be working so some fine tuning could help as it may be getting saturated too soon.
The SP on your fans may be a determining factor also as they seem a bit low for hydro's
The hydro certainly imho doesn't need replacing...

Last edited by wytnyt; 09-10-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 806096

Quote:
Sigh...
You aren't saying anything I don't know. Let me rephrase. Under proper circumstances, coolant temp hitting 51c is not normal. Hitting 41c is getting warm.
No, you can't tell someone their cooler is broken because their water temp hits 42C. Someone in a tropical locale will read it and think their cooler isn't functioning properly, even though it's 33C in their room.

41C is enough to start asking questions, but no one is doing that. Just making blanket statements. 41C for an hour of Prime at 100% load. Allegedly 51C for gaming with a program that uses 40% CPU load. Quite a few other questions to ask and since the water appears to be flowing, finding out why it's getting so warm should be a priority, but you can't help everybody.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:30 AM
biosmanager's PC Specs

POST ID # = 806129
biosmanager Reputation: 10

Thank you all for your help!
What gave me the last bit was hitting over 75 degrees after some seconds of Prime95 blend and water temp immediately rising to 50c.
For your info: I live in southern germany, so currently around 18 degrees outside and normal humidity.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM
biosmanager's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807057

okay, so i got a new cooler, installed the stock fans
temps seem to be a little better
normal stress testing without gpus, water temps stays under 40c
when gaming (gta v), again, water temp reached around 48 degrees
is it the graphics cards that heat up the water that much? i run two gtx 980 ti, asus strix
they are factory OC and get quite warm, as several reviews confirm
so what do you think?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Slimreaper's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807084
Slimreaper Reputation: 10

Quote:
No, you can't tell someone their cooler is broken because their water temp hits 42C. Someone in a tropical locale will read it and think their cooler isn't functioning properly, even though it's 33C in their room.

41C is enough to start asking questions, but no one is doing that. Just making blanket statements. 41C for an hour of Prime at 100% load. Allegedly 51C for gaming with a program that uses 40% CPU load. Quite a few other questions to ask and since the water appears to be flowing, finding out why it's getting so warm should be a priority, but you can't help everybody.
K we've established you are a big fan of common sense and pointing out the obvious. Moving on.
If we really have to make sure it's understood a retardedly high ambient temperature will make for high temps, my bad.
If you weren't so busy calling me wrong you might see 51c coolant temp is way way way out side of normal.

Last edited by Slimreaper; 09-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:12 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807093

Quote:
K we've established you are a big fan of common sense and pointing out the obvious. Moving on.
If we really have to make sure it's understood a retardedly high ambient temperature will make for high temps, my bad.
If you weren't so busy calling me wrong you might see 51c coolant temp is way way way out side of normal.
I would suggest broadening your understanding before stamping your opinion over every thread in the forum, particularly issues that have already been resolved. At the very least, try to be helpful. Since the new cooler has the same issue, the original poster is right back at beginning, minus shipping, and still needs assistance.

It is unusual for the water temperature to be significantly higher under gaming load compared to a full CPU load stress test. Since they don't share the cooling system, the only way this can happen is if the GPU and other system waste heat is raising the internal case temperature to that 51C. Either the case fans you have are unable to evacuate the heat, or more likely, the heat is is unable to leave the general outer case area and you have a hot spot in and around your case. You mentioned in an earlier post the water temperature increased throughout the day. Is the case in a cabinet, stuck under desk, or squeezed into a corner where heat can't escape the general area, particularly the top vent?

Last edited by c-attack; 09-16-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:02 PM
biosmanager's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807112

the case is placed on a podest, so absolutely nothing blocks the airflow
again, temps seem fine, maybe a little bit on the warm side
could it be that simply the temperature sensors detect higher temperatures?

i think in the end the heat source are the gpus, they get really warm with the factory oc
without the gpus active water temp seems normal again, i ran some minutes of core damage with full performance for the fans and water temp was around 36c

i'm a little bit angry now^^ nothing helps eliminating the issues
i ran the new unit a few hours now and while doing normal things water temp floats around 36c
i played a little bit of GTA V and boom, water temp raised to 48c
but honestly, i don't know where this hot spot should be, take a look at this picture:

http://pic.sysprofile.de/images/juy10284.jpg

this is with the old unit, now i placed the power connector for the upper grapics card similar to the bottom one
i also replaced the front 200mm fan with two 140mm

what i am asking myself: is this really something i should bother about? well, the cpu temps seem fine, don't they?

help^^

Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807120

I think you are right, the heat source is the GPU's. Each one pulls more wattage than your CPU. However, since there are a lot people besides you and me running SLI, if this was completely normal everyone with a LINK controlled system would be in this forum complaining their radiators fans run 100% while gaming and it's too loud. The 100% fan temp is somewhere back near 40C by default.

Your set-up looks really nice. Lets go back to scenario #1 for a minute - the case can't get the air out. The H110 fans are set to exhaust? The rear fan is set to exhaust? It appears that way in the picture, but I can't quite see it exactly. If so, that should be enough. For comparison, what does AI suite, HW Monitor, or anything else report as your motherboard temperature while gaming? What about HDD or SDD temperatures? You can use those as comparison to the water temperature. I am curious whether the temps are relatively uniform or if the radiator is an actual hot spot. I was open to the possibility there was a sensor error on the water temp, but it's in the unit and to have two in a row seems a bit of a stretch. I would also expect it to be erratic, rather than consitently imprecise. The same thing with water flow. Two units in a row are low odds, as long as the the pump is getting it's 12V from the BIOS (and AI Suite if installed).

Since I have GTA V and we have very similar hardware, I'll offer this up as data. My two Asus Strix 970's run a near linear 62/58C while GTA V is active, with a +150MHz overclock. With the 5820K at 4.2 or 4.4@1.285V, my CPU temps run steady in the mid 40's. On rare occasion I get a momentary spike that will take them over 50C, but it resembles a program stutter and lasts less than second. Motherboard temps almost never go over 31C, even in a 27C Summertime room. Unfortunately, since I have the old H110 without LINK, I can't give you water temps. However, if my water temps were 48-51C, I would not be able to hold the 44-48C CPU temp line that I consistently do and when exiting the program, my new CPU temp baseline would stay near the water temperature reading. Mine drop back into the mid 30's immediately on exit. Use AIDA to monitor if you still have it. I think the line graphs make it a lot easier to discern true operating temperatures versus a peak. You mentioned in the original post, AI Suite was uninstalled. Be aware AIDA and AI SUite often cross paths in their monitoring. On mine, it produces a 216C VRM spike once every 5 minutes or so, but all other temperature data appears valid.

As for whether this should worry you, I am not sure. I guess we can your GTA V data against mine and see if your CPU temps are affected by the issue. If you decide to try and lvie with it, you may prefer to ditch LINK and run your H110 fans from the motherboard. The Asus will allow you to run fan speed from CPU temperature, rather than water temperature. That may reduce some fan blasting and give a little peace of mind.

Last edited by c-attack; 09-16-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:06 PM
biosmanager's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807125

Cpu temp in gta v after some minutes was around low 50s
But my two strix 980 ti are a LOT warmer than your 970s
Card 1 was around high 70s to low 80s
Card 2 was around low 70s
I read some reviews of this card and this seems normal

After quitting the game it doesn't immediately jump back to idle temps as the water is quite warm

I ran a short aida 64 in performance mode and cpu temp was around low 50s
I only get low 30s water temp when the pc was cold or when i spin the fans quite high, and then only after a while

Could it be a windows 10/corsair link issue? I tested some monitoring tools bit hwmonitor is always a bit warmer than others.

What about screw pressure? When installing i tried to tighten the screws as much as i could? Is that too much?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:26 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807128

Too much pressure in theory could damage the CPU, but it would take serious force and should not affect water temperature.

There is no doubt 2x980 is warmer than 2x970, but I am surprised it's that much between sibling cards with similar design. My GTA V settings are completely maxed at 2560x1440 except for the flight/ground view in Advanced, so I didn't bother to state them. Do you know your GPU usage % in GTA V? I can only think you are running harder than me. Incidentally, do you have idea what your VRM temperatures are? Mine top out around 52C in a heavy GPU load/moderate CPU load game like GTA V, but I have done a lot to in the BIOS to control that number. It might give some idea of how much more power and heat you are pulling compared to me.

What you are saying about the water and CPU temperatures suggests to me the reading is accurate. You still have tons of CPU temp headroom at 50-55C and are only marginally over my operating temperatures. However, you are under my voltage and down in CPU frequency. I don't know how much those numbers will change if you up the overclock.

I have resisted moving to Windows 10 and have no idea if this is an issue, but again the information you are providing suggests the water temperature number is relatively accurate.

EDIT: I missed the Ti at the end of the 980 in the original LINK shots and in your specs. That is a sizable difference in graphics power and you may be running 4K so that throws a lot of the comparison data out the window on GPU performance and power usage. I haven't seen a lot of data on people running 980 Ti x 2. It is starting to look like the cooler is functioning properly and all of this is GPU waste heat. I hesitate to suggest this, since my opinion of the Asus forums is low, but that or Overclock.net might have a larger pool of people with Ti's in 2 or 3 way SLI so you can get some comparison data. I think there are a couple of things you can do on your overclock to tighten your settings a little. That will make the CPU more efficient but likely only have a small effect on the water temperature.

Last edited by c-attack; 09-16-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:00 AM
biosmanager's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807188

Well, after thinking about it for a while I come to the conclusion it could only be two things that heat my water up more than normal:
1.) the large GPU waste heat, these are not direct heat exhaust card so the warm air stays in the case
2.) some kind of hot spot, i suspect the top exhaust
there is gap of several centimeters betwenn the rad and the top cover, could this be a potential issue? maybe there's some kind of heat buildup because the warm air stays in this gap

you can see this in this picture:
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/st...hoo_Luxe_5.jpg

my rad is around the same height as that white fan in the picture

Old 09-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807287
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

In my experience, a Haswell-E chip, especially when overclocked, can get coolant temps up to ~42C in even a well-ventilated case. But you're dumping an extra 500W of heat into that chassis before it goes through the cooler, and that'll have a negative effect on the cooler's ability to dissipate heat.

So yeah, I'd have to agree, it's the two Strix cards in SLI that are helping keep your coolant temps high. The ambient temperature inside your case during gaming has to be scorching.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:42 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 807344

For #1, Do you have PK-PS in the rear slot as well at the radiator? I can't believe three 1500 rpm fans can't get the heat out of the case. The only other time I have been able to create this kind of situation is by turning either the rear or top exhaust pathways into intake.

#2 - I suppose it's possible. I couldn't find any other complaints about the Luxe in a short search. It seems like a pretty nice set-up with flexibility. Is the top of the case hot to touch when gaming? Can you feel air steaming out the top? At 1000-1500 rpm it should be a decent flow. A weak sense of air from the top might suggest there is some sort of restriction. Otherwise, I don't think the heat can hang in that area if the fans are blowing even a little. You can also compare your water temps to any other internal temp sensors you have -- motherboard, drives, etc. I am curious as to whether the heat is hanging near the exhaust pathways or if the entire case is hot. That motherboard temp may be the best indicator available about the case ambient temperature without having to resort to temperature probes.