Corsair Community

Hydro Series H110 with Obsidian 550D

sebastien.dst

Hi,

I wish to purchase a Hydro Series H110 but I have an important request.

My Case is a Corsair Obsidian 550D and my Motherboard is an Asus X99-Deluxe.

I read on the Obsidian 550D product page that it is compatible with the Hydro Series H110 but with my Motherboard is it compatible or this installation is too just?

Cordially

Absolutely. Just put an H110 on an Asus X99-Pro/Air 540 set-up. It's working very efficiently and my rad fans barely turn past their minimum. As usual, included hardware is minimal. No Y-splitter and if you are going to mount it in any way other than push/intake, you will need more screws. 8 short 6-32 if you are going to do push exhaust in the roof.

Installing the block was very easy. The H110 has swivel mount hoses, so the tension issue present in other models is absent. Also, no backplate needed on 2011 or 2011v-3. Use the short mounting posts.

Thanks for your reply, I was afraid that the Motherboard is too large.

For installation I will follow the instructions of Corsair.

"Attach the 280mm radiator and fans as shown. For the best cooling performance we recommend mounting the fans as an air intake".

http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2015/01/02/150102063925372174.jpg

For the installation of your fans, have you kept the original fans?

You don't have to use it as intake. In a bench test, intake will provide cooler air, but that may not be the best application for real world use. Perhaps the answer to that depends on what you've done with the front intake area. If your cages are still there, or worse full of drives, than intake may be a good solution. Some people take out the extra cages to make a clear intake path through the PCI area. In that case, it''s likely exhaust will suit most people better. How the PC will be placed in a room and what's around it (under a desk/against a wall, etc) may be the ultimate determining factor. If you've already worked all this out and were just looking for confirmation, my apologies.

With an Asus-Pro X99 and the H110 mounted inside the roof with 2x140x25mm fans underneath, I have about 2cm of clearance to the top of the mainboard. It's just enough to slide my aux MB power cable through the grommet in that area. I had intended to use the stock H110 fans at first, until I decided on a suitable replacement. However, I was surprised how flimsy they were in construction. Very flexible plastic with 9 thin blades. Not exactly ideal for static pressure and decidedly different in design to the SP120L's that come with the other models in the series.

Thanks for the development because the reason of my reply was mainly to have an opinion for the best possible ventilation with a Hydro Series H110.

The location of my computer is not easy for a good ventilation because the back of my computer is being placed against a wall and the right side also.

My current configuration is the following one and I have also two AF140 on the left panel.

http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2015/01/03/150103053504470373.jpg

I think with the back against the wall, your current configuration is good. Exhausting through the roof will help with some of the heat coming out of the back, which has no place to go. Unless you are doing very heavy overclocking or some unusually high CPU loads, your CPU temperatures should be fine with the H110 as exhaust in the roof.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad that I saw this post. I've been trying to decide between 450D and 550D. I like the idea of a quite case but was worried about airflow in the 550D, especially given the cover over the front intake fans. I like the idea of adding another 140 intake on the bottom of the case though.

Warning !! Hydro Series H110 is compatible with Corsair 550D case but not with my motherboard Asus X99-Deluxe.

The radiator touches my motherboard for this installation:

The radiator touches this.

http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2015/01/21/150121080631756474.jpg

The only possibility is to install the radiator against the case with a single fan on the right.

For the left fan, I think it's possible but complicated because the fan is near to the EATX12V cable.

http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2015/01/21/150121082057926464.jpg

For the wiring, I connected the pump power connector to CPU_FAN and my right fan to CHA_FAN.

Please tell me if you have other solution for installation and if the wiring is correct for you.

I'm sorry to hear you can't install it that way. I am a little surprised since the Deluxe is a standard ATX size board. Are you saying you can't mount it with the fans underneath either?

http://cdn.overclock.net/9/91/91186ba2_R9TJd.jpeg

Your fan and pump wiring is correct. Unlike the CHA_FAN headers, you can exempt the CPU_FAN header from the AI Suite control in the BIOS to run a maximum all the time. Note, the CPU_OPT header will not be usable with this configuration since it mirrors the CPU_FAN speed commands. You other option would be to run the pump directly from the power supply. Technically, you can run it from the CHA_FAN headers, but you have to carefully monitor and control AI suite. AWAY mode and several other functions will turn off the pump or override your exiting fan and BIOS commands.

Thanks for your development, it's very interesting.

For same installation, I have one fan on the right for the moment.

I think it's possible to put the fan on the left but if it's possible it's very very just because there is an EATX12V cable below.

I must buy other screws for test.

instead of using the normal mounting holes, you should be able to move the radiator towards the side panel which should provide enough room for the 8-pin and allow you to mount two fans.

All you will need to do is ensure the radiator is secured to the case adequately.

The problem is that the radiator touches the motherboard and it's impossible to install it as below.

The only possibility is to install the radiator against the case.

For the moment, I installed a single fan to the right because I don't have enough screws. The pack contains 8 screws. I fixed the radiator with 4 screws and used 4 screws for the right fan...

And for the left fan, I think it's possible to install but it's hard because the EATX12V cable is near with left fan and I don't have other screws.

My CPU temperature ranges from 28-33°.

• Corsair Employee

I don't think so, but a (janky) alternative might be to try installing a 120mm fan where the second fan goes to get at least some airflow through there.

The placement of the heatsinks on the X99-DELUXE (and most X99 boards in general) is troublesome to be sure.

• 1 month later...
im using msi x99s sli plus and having the same problem too, my h110 doesnt fit because of the motherboard heatsink, now im thinking maybe if i buy corsair 140mm Air series fan or buy corsair sp fan but take out the color ring so it will give extra space for the heatsink, gonna do that and buy the corsair fan and see how it goes, what do u guys think doable?

• 1 month later...

I stumbled across this thread after my supplier informed me they were out of stock of the h100i and offered the h110 at the same price as a replacement.

I jumped at grabbing it without thinking and initially thought I made huge mistake not realising that the Radiator was 280mm and possibly not fit in my case.

I am planning a new build over the next few days and just waiting for the last part to arrive.

MB: Assus X99-Pro

Case: Corsair Obsidian 550d

CPU i7 5930K

Corsair 16GB LPX DDR4 kit

GPU Gigabyte R9 280X

PSU Corsair RM850

Thermaltake Luna Slim 14 x 2 (back order)

Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD

Corsair H110

LG BluRay writer Optical Drive

I have installed the Motherboard and measured the clearance between the top of the case and the edge of the Motherboard. According to my measurements if I replace the stock Corsair 140mm fans with 2x TT Luna slim 14 (140mm x 15mm) fans, I will have enough clearance and not touch the MB heatsink with the radiator.

If all goes well I am planning cooler as an exhaust (Push orientation)

As posted by others in this thread the Heatsink on the MB stops the Rad from mounting unless as seen on other forums, taking a Dremel tool to the RAD and I certainly don't feel comfortable about that.

I will post some photos here with the process when I start.

The only question I have is there another "SLIM" 140mm Fan available (15mm or close) that has good stats ie airflow and static pressure that has 140mm mounting holes. The TT Luna slim 14 is ok but below the specs of the Corsair stock fan.? and am concerned about temps. Any thoughts about using just the one slim fan with one stock corsair fan? as the restriction applies to the area of the heatsink

I liked the specs of the Prolimatech ultra sleek vortex - 140mm but it can only be mounted on 120mm spacing which is not available on the H110. .

Any suggestions appreciated.

The Aerocool Streamliner is one of the only other 140mm thin profile fans I know of. It's 20mm and I am not sure how close you are on spacing. I like your original choice better anyway, but I thought I would throw it out there.

As for the cooling aspect, i don't think you have anything to worry about. I've got a closet full of fans and I've ended using Corsair SP140 LED's for most of the duration. They have the least glamorous specs of the fans in my collection and they are still more than I need. I am running similar hardware to your proposed build and my CPU temps are trivial at minimal fan speeds. In fact, I have deliberately set them run with a baseline of 600 rpm when gaming, not for the cooling but just to make the lights a little brighter. Otherwise they just spin away at 500 and my temps stay under 45C @ 4.4GHz. You may have to run the Luna's 200 rpm higher to get the same effect as a 25mm fan, but nowhere near maximum and I think you've found a good solution.

I have now completed my build.

The Corsair Hydro 110 does fit in the Obsidian 550D case with one little mod.

That was to replace one of the fans with a 140mm x 15mm. The reason you have to do this is that the standard fan 140x25, will interfere with the ATX power connector and motherboard Heatsink. The narrower fan will allow for some clearance.

I have it fitted on an ASUS X99-Pro Motherboard, with the cooler set up as an exhaust (push) and getting a constant 30 deg cel.

I have include some photos, as promised.

http://i57.tinypic.com/zvxxz4.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/vrt5ib.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/4sjmsw.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/r2kh0m.jpg

Archived