Corsair Community

CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R - 3 bad dimms?

Grimble

Hi,

As part of a new system build (details in my profile) I yesterday received the CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R 4x8GB DDR3-1866 kit I'd ordered for my new PC. I got errors when installing Windows 7 64 bit, so ran a test with the Windows 7 memory test, which within 60 seconds indicated a "hardware fault". I removed all RAM and after a couple of attempts got one stick to run both passes of the memory test successfully. I then ran the other three through the test in the same slot, which failed, and I then ran the first stick again to confirm and it passed. So it looks like I've got 3 bad dimms, which seems like a high number to me - is it possible that I've done something wrong?

Voltage across the RAM was stable at 1.5V. I'm running the sticks in their XMP profile, with stock timings - I notice the support process says I should be running these in 7-8-7-20-2T, which doesn't seem right for CAS10 RAM? Should I try setting these timins? It also lists it as "DDR3-1866 (Vengeance-9-9-9-24*1.5v) Quad Channel" which doesn't seem right!

Or should I just RMA the RAM and be done with it?

Thanks!

Andrew.

Aaaand I've just seen in the support process that I should run memtest over the RAM - Do I need to do that if the Windows 7 memory test fails? I'll run it this evening if so, and if I get 3 failures again I will RMA the RAM.

Thanks,

Andrew.

• Corsair Employee
Yes you should use http://www.memtest.org to test the memory. Errors in the Windows Memory Diag tool may not be failing memory modules and I would test them with the latest MB BIOS and setup defaults loaded and enable XMP and do not make any other changes or over clocking settings. All of our modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed before they leave the factory so it is rare that you would get a failing module. And I would say impossible that you would get three bad modules out of one set.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I had my memory kit RMA'd, and I still have problems with the new batch. Thanks a heap for the quick turnaround on the RMA, but it sounds like it may be a compatibility issue - I've run the system for a week with no issues on a loaned 4GB stick of DDR3 at 1333Mhz.

I am currently seeing problems in test 6 of memtest, "Moving inversions 32 bit pattern". With three of the sticks, I consistently see problems about 12-15% in to the start of that test. The other one completes a run of the test, but I still get 1 or 2 errors on subsequent passes. The 4GB stick of DDR3 at 1333Mhz works fine.

I've tested this at 800, 1333, and 1866 Mhz, with SPD timings and manually setting them to 10-11-10-27 (as stated on the RAM itself), 10-11-10-30 and 9-8-9-24.

At this point I'm assuming that all components are fine (As the 4GB completes memtest with no errors, and the memory has been RMA'd), it's just a compatibility issue. any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!

Andrew.

Hi,

The bios version is the latest, F12p. I've hit F7 to load optimised defaults and selected XMP profile 1. I've run memtest, and I've gotten two errors in test #6 with the "good" stick from the Corsair kit, same as before. I put in another stick of RAM from the kit, and I get 543 errors in test #6, and 5 errrors in test #7. Edit: Also around 50 errors in test #8.

Thanks!

Andrew.

Hi,

So I bought a 16GB 1600Mhz kit, 4x4GB, and it worked fine - no errors on multiple runs of memtest. Both Gigabyte and Corsair state that the CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R kit is compatible with the GA-X79-UD3 board. Is it likely that all four sticks in the second set is suspect as well? Do I RMA the kit again? I really would much rather 32GB of RAM as I do live video mixing which has several 5GB+ buffers.

EDIT: The G SKill kit I bought was F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL.

Thanks!

Andrew.

Is it likely that all four sticks in the second set is suspect as well?

There is absolutely no way all four sticks in a second set are faulty. One out a kit is rare, two..well i have only seen that once or twice in three years of my time here. I have never seen an entire kit bad. Then to receive a second set that was entirely faulty. There is just no way.

Have you tried adjusting the DIMM and VCCSA voltages any?

With the XMP profile enabled I would set the DIMM voltage to 1.55 or even 1.6v if need be, and .2v to your memory controller voltage .

Do I RMA the kit again?
I can only assume you RMA'd the kit once without following up here first. I'm wondering if a simple voltage adjustment would have saved you a lot of time and frustration.

You really can't compare the other kit to the Vengeance kit, they are half the capacity @ a reduced frequency. So the load on the memory controller is going to be less, so some voltage adjustments may be necessary

There is absolutely no way all four sticks in a second set are faulty. One out a kit is rare, two..well i have only seen that once or twice in three years of my time here. I have never seen an entire kit bad. Then to receive a second set that was entirely faulty. There is just no way.

My thoughts exactly! But with a seperate 4GB/1333Mhz DIMM working fine, and one DIMM in the original CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R set passing memtest, it looked like RMA time. After that RMA (Again, thanks Corsair, great service there!) I started to suspect compatibility issues.

Have you tried adjusting the DIMM and VCCSA voltages any?

With the XMP profile enabled I would set the DIMM voltage to 1.55 or even 1.6v if need be, and .2v to your memory controller voltage .

I can only assume you RMA'd the kit once without following up here first. I'm wondering if a simple voltage adjustment would have saved you a lot of time and frustration.

I've tried adjusting DIMM up to 1.6V, VTT up to 1.15 from 1.05. No difference.

You really can't compare the other kit to the Vengeance kit, they are half the capacity @ a reduced frequency. So the load on the memory controller is going to be less, so some voltage adjustments may be necessary

I understand that, however the corsair RAM was failing with XMP on and off, at 1333 and 1866. I have now had a no-name 4GB@1333 stick pass, and G Skill 4x4GB@1600 pass. If the corsair RAM only failed at 1866, I'd understand and blame the mobo for sure, but it failed at stock speeds as well.

Happy to take any suggestions on setting timings/voltages and re-test.

• Corsair Employee

Did you do the RMA directly with us? Or with the reseller? if it was with us what was the RMA#?

If it was with the reseller can you do an RMA directly with us as I would like to see these modules. There is a possibility they may be miss programmed is about the only reasonable explanation that I can think of. If yes please use the link on the left and request an RMA and let me know the case number and I will have our customer service contact you with arrangements to get them replaced directly.

There is a possibility they may be miss programmed is about the only reasonable explanation that I can think of. If yes please use the link on the left and request an RMA and let me know the case number and I will have our customer service contact you with arrangements to get them replaced directly.

Even two totally different sets?

I RMA'd directly with Corsair - RMA #5306422. I'd be interested to know if the RAM was tested and if any faults were found. I agree with Peanutz and think it'd be strange for 2 sets to be faulty like this, but I can't see what I've not done, or done wrong...

Thanks!

Andrew.

. I'd be interested to know if the RAM was tested and if any faults were found.

If you mean when you sent them in the first time? I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Corsair doesn't test them directly, unless in your case they are requesting to see the modules first hand so they can test them in house.

I just find it hard to believe two completely sets were programed wrong, unless it was a whole batch. But I would think the forums would be flooded with these types of issues. And they are pretty quiet , especially where this kit is concerned. A quick forum search brings up very few problems...more compatibility inquiries than anything..but not problems like this.

• Corsair Employee

Well we do test every item sent back but the reporting is done by lot# not by the RMA# so there is no way to easily track the failures by RMA#.

I will ask our customer service to arrange another RMA for you and we will take care of the shipping.

And it would be hard to get a failing module and ever harder to get two sets that displayed the same symptom; but the only resource I have at this point is to RMA the Modules and request they be sent back here where where the Analysis can be more detailed and controlled in an effort to determine the issue. I suspect there may be some issue that has not been identified and till we have identified what the exact issue is we would not be able to correct the issue.

• 1 month later...

Archived