The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
chr_an's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564412
chr_an Reputation: 10
Default H80 firmware reset clarifications

I purchased the h80 a few days ago, and was amazed by the results on my old q9450 2.66 quad running at a mild OC of 3.2, with load temps (tested via prime95) not exceeding 50c.

However, I’ve had similar issues with, apparently many other h80 (and h100 as it seems) owners, with a (potentially) problematic fan controller.

It’s the usual stuff of the controller button not actually changing profiles.

I’ve looked almost every thread there is in this forum (and other non-corsair forums for that matter) regarding the issue, and the consensus appears to boil down to either do a firmware reset and get the fan controller to work as intended, or, if that fails too, just RMA it.

I’ve followed all relevant posts regarding this firmware reset thing, and I’ve tried everything that has been suggested, with no real results.

However, it appears to me that, even this firmware reset method is not always laid out the same way. I’ll quote some of RAMguy’s posts (with links) in a request to, basically, get a solid (idiot proof) guide to how to actually do this right, as I believe, I (and many more users as well) might be missing something and not actually do this firmware reset right

http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=97433
http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthre...t=97433&page=2
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=103931
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=99361

As you can see, the last two threads describe the reset procedure a bit differently (i.e. no boot to bios or mem-test or whatever, then shut down then start again, only common ground is the “hold button during POST” bit)
So, here’s my experience with the firmware reset procedure, hoping that it helps identify what (if so) I am doing wrong:

"1. While the computer is running, hold down the profile button for approximately five seconds"

This is from the 3rd link. As per the other 2 links:

“Please try this with the system cold do not do it with a Hot system. turn the system on and let it boot to a memtest disk or any boot disk just don't let it go to Windows. Once it stable then push and hold the Profile button it should go through a series of blinks and then go back to what it was”

I tried to do both, (i.e. booting to memtest + holding button after that, / holding button while system is in windows), so, light indicators do go out for a few seconds (no blinking whatsoever), then fan reduces speed significantly, and stays at said speed no matter what profile I select via the button. After a restart, fans go back to full speed again, no matter the profile selected via the button.

“turn it back on holding the profile button for three seconds, this should reset the firmware and force the system to go through a self test”

When I do this, the 3 light indicators plus the person icon all blink sequentially and after a few seconds they all stay lit; is this what is supposed to happen during a firmware reset or a self-test?

Furthermore, I found that, in order to get this hold button + lights / icon sequential blink, it can be done not only on power on but also while the system is already running and on windows, as normal: if I hold the button for a few seconds, and then, immediately as all fan profile indicators lights go out, re-press and hold button it does the same “blinking” thing, which ends with all 3 light indicators plus the person icon remaining lit (if I then press button again, it changes to either 1/2/3 indicator setting (without actually changing speed).

Should this have the same results with a POST button hold – reset?

So, it appears that the firmware reset thing isn’t actually working for me (or I am doing it wrong); hence, I have my fans operating in either of two modes:
  1. Full speed constantly (after every reset if I don’t press and hold button)
  2. Reduced speed (with occasional ramp ups) – if I press and hold button while system is already on (at any time after POST)
Also note that at this state (low fan speed and noise, the fan would ramp up sometimes, potentially in line with the need to cool the coolant fluids, but, no matter what profile I have selected, this higher speed that persists for a few seconds is the same, so I am more or less sure that this is not the intended way these profiles should operate.

Note that I tested the latter mode during load (used prime95) to see if the fan would kick in at different speeds once the coolant temp would change (as the cpu would heat up) but did not notice any speed difference, so controller still doesn’t set different profiles.

So, am I doing this whole firmware reset thing wrong, or do I have to reconcile to the idea of a faulty fan controller?

Apologies for this wall of text, I thought laying down all facts would help more.

Thanks in advance for any help and feedback on the proper way to do a firmware reset - last resort before an RMA I guess...

Regards.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM
chr_an's PC Specs

POST ID # = 565089
chr_an Reputation: 10

Ok, apparently the immense wall of text scared some people away, so I'll try to be as brief as possible:

In reference to this:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=99361

1. While the computer is running, hold down the profile button for approximately five seconds
-> What is supposed to happen here? Pump lights blink? Pump lights go out? In my case, they just go out, and after a few seconds two (always) of the 3 indicator lights go up, fans start moving full speed for a few seconds then always settle at the same low speed, with button not changing anything speed wise (only light indicators change)
2. Wait one minute, while the unit continues to run
-> What is this supposed to achieve?
3. Shut down your computer
4. Press and hold the profile button for five seconds while turning on the power to your computer.
-> Here is where the blinking of all lights in the controller happens, correct? After that are all 3 lights plus the person icon supposed to stay lit? or do we then just select one speed setting, assuming the reset was successful? In my case everything lights up and fan start going full speed and remain at this state regardless of profile set afterwards.

I'd appreciate any feedback from mods or people who have actually managed to perform a successful firmware reset in their H80/100s. It just strikes me odd that so many claim that doing the reset did not help them: this either means that there's a large number of faulty controllers or that people aren't doing the firmware reset properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 AM
Pikapikapi1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 666623
Pikapikapi1 Reputation: 10

After I installed Corsair Link Commander all 3 of the fan lights are now just blinking on and off on the H80 I tried a reset (I assumed the reset/profile button is also the fan speed selector button to push?) I also tried detaching corsair link to see if it was the Link Commander doing that the lights are still blinking on the H80 but after the reset and such the lights are still blinking not a steady on is that a error blinking message? I also don't know anywhere else to post this. I also have a ticket open with corsair going on a 3rd day waiting for a response as I could quite be damaging my CPU if that is a error message or so as I still need to use the computer even though it is partially crippled now as I await some kinda answer hopefully before my CPU just fries as the link commander has already made one of my fan's so hot it made it smoke and I thought my computer was on fire I moved the fan back to Motherboard control and it is fine now albe it it's life was probably shortened being that hot and smelling can't be good for it so one corsair product has seemed to take out another IE the link commander taking out the H80 as it was fine before (after having to update the firmware on the commander to detect the fan node, lighting node, AX1200 power supply, and the H80 water cooler.

Also of note I noticed this after I seen the LCD lights from the lighting nod turn red from the CPU indicator witch made me look at the H80 then, But it seems they are okie now...and the Corsair Link shows it's pump speed as zero and showing it fan speed as erratic going on and off when I could tell they was running fine as I'm using LED fan's loss of power like that would also mean a blinking LED light I have now have them running back from the motherboard header Main and Aux CPU Fan. But so far the Link Commander has only manage to break things? and the ? as I dunno what is going on all I know is all was fine before I installed it

Last edited by Pikapikapi1; 07-25-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 666734
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

This would suggest something is wrong or corrupt with the firmware on the cooler and I would suggest we replace it, please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Pikapikapi1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 666835

Okie seems ima have to RMA it (when I can get around to getting it out the case that is and have to use the stock air cooler for the FX-8350 untill the RMA hopefully brand new direct from testing and not a refurbished switch model gets here). And to top it off the computer shut down eailer today and I went to look a red light was on the corsair Power supply reset the power and comp came back on but...out off all the devices on this comp all of them corsair are giving me issues (Although the H80 until it met with the link commander has been with me for over a year with no problems). My friend is already wishing she had not got the same AX1200 corsair power supply I got just because of all my corsair issues. But Besides that I was thinking Will the H80i (with commander build in already) work with this Link Commander I have now? or do the H80 need to be with the Link Commander Hardware only version I have now?

Last edited by Pikapikapi1; 07-26-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Pikapikapi1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668060

Now the H80 has been RMAed now the Link Commander is having issues with the AX1200 Power supply or rather Link Commander Dashboard software it keeps randomly enabling OCP on the power supply with I guess to it set for 0 because the power supply shuts down with a red light. Witch Essentially locked me out of my computer as when I reset the AX1200 and restart Link Commander starts up and computer shuts down I have to start in safe mode and uninstall it restart the computer reinstall dashboard and hope it disables OCP being on as sometimes it doesn't, Profiles need to be reloaded on start to get the LED lights to be the color they should be. I had to detached the USB cable from the Link commander (So is the PSU fan even running now?) just to be able to use my computer without it randomly shutting off. So a tally of issues. One of My case fan's when connected to Link commander got so hot it started smoking (thought it was my comp at first) that fan life span has been shorted 1. item damaged. 2. H80 was put out of commission by link commander. 3. Hopefully the Ax1200 PSU is okie. and other issues is my time being wasted on this alpha level software and hardware that is Link Commander as I can't fully use my gaming machine to do much as I'm scared to tax it as the unreliability of everything Corsair in my system seemingly causing me so many issues also waiting for RMA's to return (Namely the H80). Although question were is the Link Commander profiles stored so I can delete them? as before writing this I uninstalled and reinstalled and there was the same profiles so uninstalling did not clear them. Witch also could be what is causing some of the buggyness also. Also any trouble shooting on my end I can help you with, as I have seen reply's in other posts as i have been doing google searches tracking down way's to fix this, Someone said you was going to replicate or build that person's system to test to see if you get there problems that is dedication Ram Guy. But as you can see what im dealing with on this program that is Corsair Link was way far from lunch it should have stayed in development a bit longer and Linux and other OS be available for it. Hopefully the bugs can be worked out and the postal system must be making a killing from all the postage it's getting from all the RMA's. also note I was just jotting down thoughts while writing this as I was doing a few other things so it needs a little cleaning up but yea were is the profile data stored as there no file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CorsairLINK2 named CorsairLink.INI or anything just all Dll Files, and 3 exe files does it save to the Registry and if so what path? as I'm not even going to search the registry unless I know were to look.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 668142

Please disconnect the Link connect to the PSU for a few days and Se if that issue goes away. I suspect that you are right and that is some software issue but this will help to confirm that. Also what Version of our software are you using and what is the firmware version of all of the Link enabled devices?

Attached Images
File Type: png LinkFWVER.PNG (444.7 KB, 4203 views)

Old 08-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Pikapikapi1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668167

I reconnected the PSU USB cable to the Link commander and hit restart on the Link Commander I attached 2 files of relevance although the AX seems to have no firmware version listed at all. Note the Screenshot with the power tab selected I did not select any of those "Enable OCP (Muli-Rail Mode) I can un check them and save the profile but then they will randomly be reselected and witch one's selected is also random and the slider also moves on it's own and sometimes the number is even 0 not between the range of 20.0 or 40.0 and that is when I think the PSU shuts down so with it at 0 any power the power supply uses make it think the OCP has been tripped and it shuts down this is random btw like while typing this message there a chance my computer will shut down. (Also while I had the H80 I had to copy and paste it's version from that ticket to paste here below). The Dashboard software is Version 2.3.4816 I had took a 3rd screenshot after and uploaded note the change in numbers for things I did not touch file name PSU2(Change).jpg (145.3 KB) witch is now 0.0 if it randomly decide to activate one of them poof time or change one of the already active one's to 0.0 same thing anything lower then 20.0 should not be allowed as a except able integer as that effectively shuts down the port and PSU as a partial fix in the software? Shortly after that 3rd screenshot was taken the PSU shut down again so I disconnected the USB cable from the PSU to the Link commander again.

Corsair H80
Version: 0.13.16
Channel: 1
Connected pump(s): 1
Detected temp Sensors:1
(at this point I had moved the fan's back to the motherboard header)

My ticket I had opened was answered.

I am sorry to hear this. We are going to look into this issue with the software. I would recommend not connecting the PSU to the Commander until we release a new update.

Thank you for your patience.

But I can check I have to lift my tower up after I disconnect it again (I have the PSU pulling air from the bottom case air vent) but ask the question for now anyway Is the fan on the AX1200 running though when the USB cable detached from the link commander?

GhostHD.jpg (125.3 KB) Image is to show the random Hard Drive it keeps adding that apparently is non exsistant and I have to delete (pretty much on each computer restart it detects 1-3 ghost drives I have to delete) the one that is where the arrow is pointing and the top left hard drive is now waiting to be placed witch I think is suppose to be that hard drive? so Ghost Drive seems to be a appropriate name for it seems corsair link during detection of devices pick up a hard drive twice only one actually being real and second info from temp ect probably dumped as it was cloned and only data from 1 is used? (But I do have 3 HD's 5 in all but 2 are SSD's and I don't think have temperature sensors they are on the other screenshot as Plextor and Adata so they not being detected make sense no real point in seeing them unless you just wana place them in the graphical picture of the tower)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CorsairLink.jpg (125.4 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg PSU.jpg (142.5 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg PSU2(Change).jpg (145.3 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg GhostHD.jpg (125.3 KB, 675 views)

Last edited by Pikapikapi1; 08-27-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Ghost Drive update

Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 668776

Does this happen if you connect the PSU through its own USB Port?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Pikapikapi1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668823

No I had no problems with the AX1200 connected to the one the AX1200 came with then. I got the Link Commander after. it was the same version dashboard.

The H80 is also shown as made it to the RMA warehouse

(currently going back and forth between the PSU AX1200 Mini Corsair Link it came with and using the Corsair Link testing idea's)
As of yet (before this) I have left Multi rail mode alone anything it has done has been on it's own I'm now trying enabling it and manually setting it to 40.0 in case some physical action is needed as the program is buggy seemingly well known as most posts I read every time you restart the computer you have to reselect a profile otherwise it just ride on default I.E. the lighting LED's although if that is the case anything I physically do that manage to stick on a restart go back to non being adjusted manually. (Corsair Link connected 4 hours into test Slides are were I left them No Multi rails selected i did not select. will update up to a day, though edit to posts not a new post Also uninstalled the USB dingle that installed with the AX1200 Mini Corsair Link) (yes it goes back to 0.0 and selecting random Multi rails on restart) So I might as well be doing everything myself if it can't do it automatically.

Why is the LED not changing color? as the temp/group items they are connected to I have 1 connected to my GTX 680 70 is red I was playing 2 games to push it to 70 it get to 70 and it's still green. if I go to change the number 1 up or 1 down it turns red then but it suppose to do that on it's own. Is there no part of Corsair Link that works? Or let me rephrase the question is there any part of this that works on it's own? 1. Boot up need to set the profile Manually. 2. Led need to be set every time the system it set to monitor changes tempt. 3. after 3 hours of testing seems the power supply is stable so that have to be manually done every time I restart the computer. So yes the LED lights are useless except to glow..in this condition (2 Images attached one showing the Inability for it to change the LED's on temperature change from cold blue or green to hot red and from hot red to cool blue or green)
(Using a second Link Commander With the Same Firmware I get the same results so unless 2 Link commanders is broken, it's a bug in the firmware itself or the dashboard is not working as it should a second Link Commander shows that the hardware is working as it should)

(Rant and optional thoughts below)
So much work to get this working :( I like working with computers and I look for reason's to take my computer apart via a upgrade or such but working on one thing constantly is work. For a product that is suppose to be polished on release, and manages to damage other hardware making me have to take them out that fan that I said earlier was smoking it is now rattling very badly So I'm going have to replace that. the H80 water cooler that was damage is still at Corsairs RMA factory at PROCESSING stage (now it shows as shipped) as that was working correctly before corsair Link got here and then Shipping and handling on that was 17 something witch is fine with that Corsair ships it back. But they are not going to replace my fan nor my time trying to make this work so I'm listing all factors even given at this point. Any more time put into this I should be getting money from Corsair as while still working on it is ultimately helping Corsair smooth out bugs on still in testing phase hardware/software although I could have fun doing that. Basically I guess this is saying, is it to much to ask for Corsair Link to do what I paid for without having to work on it. This is not like a custom water cooling system I have to manually run connect tubes this is plug and play here and move on with life. (Feel the need to add this last paragraph is mostly also meant for Corsair and a rant to the people who designed Corsair Link. Ram Guy, you seem dedicated to trying to help, but Corsair need to direct more money into the Research and Development of the Corsair Link, as I do think Corsair Link has such potential as long ago before this when I had a MSI Motherboard I e-mailed them on software for there board to control the fan's on the motherboard based on hardware temp's there response was they will look into it they never did so came accost as sounding like haha your funny thinking about having such control that to me should be there witch the idea behind Corsair Link Imbues.

Tested the Cooling node to control Fan speed it suffers from the same issue the LED lights do so essentially Nothing on this thing works (Uses Custom curve again using the video card as a baseline Temp went up fan speed did not change)
(Also of Note I have 2 Link Commander Units now as listed above in the edit) Also Will it break the H80 again when it get back from the RMA this Wednesday? (It has arrived New Post Below)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED.jpg (108.6 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg LED2.jpg (122.1 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by Pikapikapi1; 08-15-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Pikapikapi1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 669928
Default H80i

Made this a new post from the one above as I assume nothing can be done to fix any of those issues until a Software update to Dashboard or firmware update to link commander of both is done but I just got the H80i back from RMA now it's connected to the Link commander via cable Like the Lighting and Fan nodes are and it's not being detected By Link Dashboard but as I'm on this computer and the CPU is running I assume the H80i is running as the light is on on it. I don't see a firmware update file under the H80i on Corsairs webpage so I'm at a lost right now completely with it. I only have 2 USB headers on my motherboard one has my front 2 USB ports and Link Commander is in the other. But could Swap the Link Commander USB plug for the H80i to update the firmware but Link Commander should detect it connected like it is shouldn't it? (List of other External USB connected devices 1. G110 Logitech keyboard, 2. G500 Mouse, 3. Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710, 4. Lexmark X5150 Scanner/Printer) (Ordered Extra USB header to connect the H80i to the motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811997024 is the product in question and, seemingly NZXT is the only company to think to make a motherboard USB header internal splitter, and I'm currently waiting for it to get here) Is there anything you can suggest to get it to Detect the H80i? and will Corsair Link Dashboard detect both Corsair Link commander and H80i both on Motherboard USB header With the AX1200 on it's Mini?(as I have tested this yes it does detect) (Essentially making Link Commander useless as lighting and Fan nodes will not work as explained in the previous post) Corsair Link Dashboard does detect the H80i when it's connected to the USB header plug. I plugged in the Lighting Kit into the H80i and the Led lights are detected but same thing happens they don't adjust colors until I manually change the temperature up or down a degree. Although the LED Light on the H80i actually works the way it suppose to going up and down with the temperature of the device monitored, So Light changing of the LED's do happen on some level Just not the lighting Node. although if that work the LED lights on the lighting node need that same code in the firmware/software? and again the price of the USB header is included in the growing expenses it taking to get the Corsair Link working, Hopefully you can go though these troubleshooting steps I have taken and get back to me on some insight as my computer witch was nicely managed with cable management ect. has cables hanging out of it all witch way's as I can't really put it back together until this issue is solved.

The Header has got here and the H80i is connected, the AX1200 is connected, and the Corsair Link Commander is connected all to a motherboard Header. the H80i is detected now, and the only thing the Corsair Link has connected to it is the Lighting Node and fan node and they still aren't changing color to match the hardware they are monitoring so the Corsair Link Commander just got Bypassed and became Useless. I'ma see if the AX1200 Reset anymore though that take testing over a few day's. A day has gone past and OCP has not did anything I have not wanted it to do so far. (Image uploaded of it detecting the H80i now via header connection and also Ghost Drive in this configuration has not shown up "yet" and after almost a week the AX1200 Power supply has not reset yet) (also Image of what it looks like with everything Connected to a header)

Any ETA on the new version of Dashboard Link Software or firmware to fix the LED's/Power Supply/H80i? even unofficial is better then nothing.
Still nothing about the Dashboard Software fix for LED's or fan's? at this rate I might as well take them out as they are just on but does nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Link.jpg (109.8 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Options.jpg (128.0 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by Pikapikapi1; 09-15-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Pikapikapi1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 677296

2.4.5065 Dashboard was released went to install it and it asked to upgrade I said yes and then it asked to restart the computer I did then it Dashboard crashed on computer restart. I uninstalled it did a fresh install and it worked. went to test the LED lights based on the same test's as done in the above and I was like Oh My God they actually work. Although as I have the USB Header splitter in and all set up there no need to disconnect it. So I think all the issues I have for all the posts have been solved (Except for the Hard Drive Ghost Issue). and I came back here to report it's working instead of just disappearing. But I do have a request My backup system has about the same spec's this one does but is running on Linux Operating System Can a Corsair Link Dashboard be made for that OS? I still have that spare Corsair Link Commander I had left over from all the testing I did and the extra one could go into that but as there no Dashboard software for Linux I could put it in but it's not going to do anything.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/atta...1&d=1375480999 (Link from the Ghost Hard Drive link instead of re uploading again the Drive with the Red arrow pointing to it with the temperature reading of 0.0 is not suppose to be there and the Hard Drive with the temperature reading of 35 at top left is suppose to be were the one were the arrow is pointing)

Last edited by Pikapikapi1; 10-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:33 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 677340
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

linux doesnt support it ,theres a thread here discussing this if interested...