Corsair Community

H80 pump thrashing noise

MaXeEmOe

All,

I'm basically experiencing the same issue as this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=101772

I have recorded a youtube video on it listed here:

This was a brand new unit received from Amazon yesterday. I suspect that this will need to be RMAed. If so, someone please let me know so I can begin the RMA process. Thank you.

UPDATE

--------

I only noticed the noise when I stand my case vertically. However, it goes away when I lay it horizontally. I thought maybe it was the orientation of the radiator, so I rotated it 90 degrees clockwise but no joy. It's definitely the pump. Wouldn't have mattered since I wasn't have been able to close my side door with the radiator sticking out, but at least it clearly isolates the issue now.

Exactly what my H100 sounds like. I didn't think it was that bad at first but after using it for a day or so it is indeed highly annoying. I will be requesting a RMA for mine shortly I just hope the one I get in return isn't A)refurbished or B)suffering from the same defect.

All,

I'm basically experiencing the same issue as this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=101772

I have recorded a youtube video on it listed here:

This was a brand new unit received from Amazon yesterday. I suspect that this will need to be RMAed. If so, someone please let me know so I can begin the RMA process. Thank you.

UPDATE

--------

I only noticed the noise when I stand my case vertically. However, it goes away when I lay it horizontally. I thought maybe it was the orientation of the radiator, so I rotated it 90 degrees clockwise but no joy. It's definitely the pump. Wouldn't have mattered since I wasn't have been able to close my side door with the radiator sticking out, but at least it clearly isolates the issue now.

I definitely feel your pain. I also bought mine from Amazon.com recently. I think the current shipment Amazon.com has is faulty. Corsair needs to get on their manufacturer's QA, because right now it's non-existent.

Yeah check mine out...
Best representation of the issue. There are some parts where the pump sounds like it should for a second or 2. I bought mine from Newegg so it's not just Amazon.

Dang man, you caught the high pitched noise I was talking about in mine post, just perfectly! Mine does that too, but for w/e reason my camera didn't pick up the audio on it as well as yours. Mine makes two noises, the noise yours is making along with a HDD thrashing type noise, both are supremely annoying and gotta be bad news.

It would appear the latest shipments Corsair sent to Newegg.com and Amazon.com are plenty full of bad apples. I bet we'll see more posts like ours in the coming weeks as people get these for Christmas.

Dang man, you caught the high pitched noise I was talking about in mine post, just perfectly! Mine does that too, but for w/e reason my camera didn't pick up the audio on it as well as yours. Mine makes two noises, the noise yours is making along with a HDD thrashing type noise, both are supremely annoying and gotta be bad news.

It would appear the latest shipments Corsair sent to Newegg.com and Amazon.com are plenty full of bad apples. I bet we'll see more posts like ours in the coming weeks as people get these for Holidays.

Think I'll just go ahead and RMA it. Already shook the radiator, flickered the tubes, laid it horizontally for a while, and even tried hooking the cpu fan pin to a fan controller. Got the latter idea from that ridiculously long H100 thread. Apparently, someone resolved it by using a fan controller because the noise is related to the pump fan I'm guessing. But in my case, it didn't work. I've been searching around if the RMA replacements resolved the issue or not. I have yet to find a response. I guess I'll find out when I get mine back. Thank God for ebay.

Think I'll just go ahead and RMA it. Already shook the radiator, flickered the tubes, laid it horizontally for a while, and even tried hooking the cpu fan pin to a fan controller. Got the latter idea from that ridiculously long H100 thread. Apparently, someone resolved it by using a fan controller because the noise is related to the pump fan I'm guessing. But in my case, it didn't work. I've been searching around if the RMA replacements resolved the issue or not. I have yet to find a response. I guess I'll find out when I get mine back. Thank God for ebay.

I hear you. I, too, have been looking for evidence of whether or not RMA replacement units have been trouble-free. I heard somebody say they had multiple bad units in a row, but that was via returning their faulty units to the same retailer and receiving yet another flawed unit back from the retailer. Ultimately they just got their money back.

I am set to RMA mine as well. I do have a concern however, that if the unit I get from the RMA is bad, I will no longer be able to return it for a refund from the retailer as it will be beyond the 30 day limit.

All told, I am very concerned about this situation. I have done all of the incredulous experiments with my unit as well, to include reinstallation, tube flicking, movements, setting system on it's side, etc. Nothing works, the parts within the pump are bad and there is seemingly nothing that can be done by the end user to resolve that.

I really wish Corsair would give us a credible, and genuine update on their failure rates and whether or not they've isolated the problems to particular batches of units, etc - at least then I can relax a bit, knowing that not all units are effected to some degree as a result of a flawed design or manufacturing process.

I know some people have said their units work fine, but I have to wonder if, in fact, they simply don't notice the problem until the pump fails.

I have the same issue with my H80 and all I want to know is:

Was the problem found

Was it corrected

If I go through RMA, will I get a working unit? Because if I end up getting another defective unit, id rather get my money back and buy another product.

I would prefer having a working H80, but so far corsair has not been clear on the problem/fixes, etc.

Oh and obviously i cannot send back my cpu cooler if we dont cross ship.

I have the same issue with my H80 and all I want to know is:

Was the problem found

Was it corrected

If I go through RMA, will I get a working unit? Because if I end up getting another defective unit, id rather get my money back and buy another product.

I would prefer having a working H80, but so far corsair has not been clear on the problem/fixes, etc.

Oh and obviously i cannot send back my cpu cooler if we dont cross ship.

Let it run for a couple days, dont turn it off, it will go away... At least mine did. I didnt change anything. Took about 2 weeks for me but because I turned off my computer at night and only turn on for couple hours per day. If it doesn't, you can always RMA it.

Let it run for a couple days, dont turn it off, it will go away... At least mine did. I didnt change anything. Took about 2 weeks for me but because I turned off my computer at night and only turn on for couple hours per day. If it doesn't, you can always RMA it.

Glad to hear someone's turned out fine.

Quick question. Were you always standing your case vertically the whole time until the noise disappeared?

Glad to hear someone's turned out fine.

Quick question. Were you always standing your case vertically the whole time until the noise disappeared?

At first I was so upset with the noise I had to turn my case horizontally for couple hours and the noise did turn down significantly. However, everytime I got it back on its feet again, the noise returned. I was so frustrated I tried everything including gentle tapping on the pump/tube, reset the pump but nothing worked. I decided to just ignore it and let it run for a couple more days and at the point where I prepared to RMA the thing, the noise started to go away. I didnt just stop right away, but over the course of 3 days or so, the noise completely disappeared and its been 5 days now and its complete silent.

At first I was so upset with the noise I had to turn my case horizontally for couple hours and the noise did turn down significantly. However, everytime I got it back on its feet again, the noise returned. I was so frustrated I tried everything including gentle tapping on the pump/tube, reset the pump but nothing worked. I decided to just ignore it and let it run for a couple more days and at the point where I prepared to RMA the thing, the noise started to go away. I didnt just stop right away, but over the course of 3 days or so, the noise completely disappeared and its been 5 days now and its complete silent.

Sounds promising. I already created an advanced RMA and will see how the new unit goes. If I have the same symptoms, I'll wait it out and hopefully achieve the same results as you. I really don't want to go back to air cooling because the performance is amazing. I think under load running some of my games, I get around 50 - 55 C which is just great! My rig would be perfect if it wasn't for that stupid noise.

Just curious, what was your lot/serial number? Mine was 11419402. I read another thread that said 11269402 was a good batch, while 11369482 was bad.

Thanks again for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for those of you who were wondering, I finally received my replacement yesterday. At first, it was great because it was completely silent. However, this occurred:

Then after a couple of minutes later, the noise disappeared. So I guess you can say that whatever that noise is, it seems to only occur during cold boot. Let's hope it stays that way. As for now, I'm happy!

Archived