Corsair Community

P3 128 GB issues (freezing Windows 7)

prutskip

Owning SSD's from different brands, models and controllers several years now. This year I bought a pretty expensive SSD, the Corsair P3 128 for €260,- hoping for nice speeds, reliability and company support.

Company support appears not to be that good, as there have not been a single firmware update available yet and we all know there are many issues to fix after releasing new products, especially SSD's.

But hey, I didn't have much to complain because the unit worked fine...until two weeks ago. My pc suddenly stopped responding and the harddisk led lighted up for hours (didn't want to put it out for I was busy with important work). Eventually I had to switch it off. After trying many times to work normally, Windows 7 freezed every time several minutes after logging into my account and finally my OS got corrupted.

I could not even backup files from the SSD, because accessing it would freeze my newly installed OS on my spare harddisk again. Happy that I just made a backup on my NAS that week!

I tried to secure erase it with Parted Magic and that seemed to work, but after a while (few hours only) it happened again and again and again...

Is it possible to wait for a firmware release that can fix this issue or is a different solution than just RMA-ing? RMA-ing it keeps me waiting and costs money for both of us.

Drivers: Intel chipset & RST (latest)

Others: no pagefile, no hibernate, aligned partition

I do wish that Corsair release fw to this drive. It`s stable in my specs, but many post in this forum says it won`t last. I`ve only got two bsod when using IE9 x 64. I`m using Firefox now and the bsod stopped.

For the company: please consider release a fw in this year. I do believe that many would consider to stay to Corsair if so.

Yesterday did a enhanced secure erase and a normal secure erase afterwards with Parted Magic.

Than re-installed the pc (WHS2011 restore backup on a manually created partition with 4k cluster size). After that I used the LPM registry setting for the SSD on port 0 (where it's on).

Working on it for a whole day now, no freezes yet although I don't believe this fixed it for good...

Well...the only thing I can say: it's working perfectly fine again for now!

And I really don't want an SSD with Sandforce controller, so I'm not RMA-ing it only if it will fail again.

So until now, the Parted Magic USB-bootstick with secure erase (enhanced and normal) did it's job. Although I lost some data and had to re-install my complete pc (one as test for a few days and one backup restore).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Darn, I shouldn't have said this!!!

Tonight Windows 7 completely froze again with the harddisk-led on. This drive is definitly an RMA and I will request for another brand to my webshop. No Corsair SSD for me again! (lacking firmware support means they don't trust the drive anyway)

Yesterday my P3 SSD was confirmed as being defective and my webshop did me a nice offer for a different (brand) SSD with even better performance (not Sandforce controlled).

So after all I'm a bit more happy with this time and money consuming issue...

Archived