Corsair Community

Zotty's CORSAIR RGB Hardware and iCUE Eco-System FAQ

Zotty

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the hard work in the original post! I am although unsure of some stuff.

1st question: whats the difference between the RGB Fan LED Hub and the Lighting Node Core? As I understand the QL's can work with the RGB Fan LED Hub just fine, you dont really need a Node Core.

2nd question: I own a lot of Corsair fans, from HD's, ML's to LL's. I quit using the HD's and currently running mostly LL's. In my system I currently have 6 LL's fans connected to an RGB fan LED Hub and to a Commander PRO. I think that the Lightning Node Pro that was included just sits there doing nothing at the moment (3rd question: might as well use it with some lightning strips? what else could I use it for?). My question is, as I want to replace 3 of the LL's with QL's for bottom intake and rear exhaust. Do I really need to buy a pack and get a Lightning Node Core? Or could I simply just use the 3 ports left available in the RGB Fan LED Hub?

Oh man, with all the explanations that I've read this is still all very confusing as every time I have to look at a picture with RGB LED Hub, Lightning Node Core and Lightning Node Pro to know what I am talking about...

Thanks for all the hard work in the original post! I am although unsure of some stuff.

1st question: whats the difference between the RGB Fan LED Hub and the Lighting Node Core? As I understand the QL's can work with the RGB Fan LED Hub just fine, you dont really need a Node Core.

2nd question: I own a lot of Corsair fans, from HD's, ML's to LL's. I quit using the HD's and currently running mostly LL's. In my system I currently have 6 LL's fans connected to an RGB fan LED Hub and to a Commander PRO. I think that the Lightning Node Pro that was included just sits there doing nothing at the moment (3rd question: might as well use it with some lightning strips? what else could I use it for?). My question is, as I want to replace 3 of the LL's with QL's for bottom intake and rear exhaust. Do I really need to buy a pack and get a Lightning Node Core? Or could I simply just use the 3 ports left available in the RGB Fan LED Hub?

Oh man, with all the explanations that I've read this is still all very confusing as every time I have to look at a picture with RGB LED Hub, Lightning Node Core and Lightning Node Pro to know what I am talking about...

Right..

look at the Node Core as a Combined Node Pro/RGB Hub..... simple as that..

yes you could use strips on the spare Lighting Node Pro..

no you dont have to use the Lighting Node Core.. QL's work fine on an RGB Fan LED Hub..

you could put them on the same hub as the LL fans.. but RGB profiles you download and indeed sequential effects you apply will play wrong.

your Commander Pro has 2 LED channels so you could use 2 RGB Fan LED Hubs and run LL's on one and QL's on the other....

to note...

CoPro can have 12 QL's in total.. 6 on each channel..

NoPro can only do 6 QL's and the 2nd rgb channel is disabled.....

• Confused 1

How come I never thought of downloading RGB profiles, lol...

Thank you very much for your answer!

So the Node Core would be enough in a build without the Lightning Node Pro?

I'll get some strips for that Lightning Node Pro, sitting there, doing nothing in my system. What a bitch!

As I still have a channel to spare on my CoPro guess I could get a 2x140 QL's with a Node Core + 1x140 to complete my build.

How come nobody says anything about the PWM control of the CoPro? I mean, it is pretty relative, you have 3 profiles to configure. Quiet, Balanced and Extreme. And even then the fans change their speed as they see fit when the system is under load. I don't really see any control here.

How come I never thought of downloading RGB profiles, lol...

Thank you very much for your answer!

So the Node Core would be enough in a build without the Lightning Node Pro?

I'll get some strips for that Lightning Node Pro, sitting there, doing nothing in my system. What a bitch!

As I still have a channel to spare on my CoPro guess I could get a 2x140 QL's with a Node Core + 1x140 to complete my build.

How come nobody says anything about the PWM control of the CoPro? I mean, it is pretty relative, you have 3 profiles to configure. Quiet, Balanced and Extreme. And even then the fans change their speed as they see fit when the system is under load. I don't really see any control here.

Re node core.. correct buddy

re pwm... we all make our own Curves. the stock ones are where you start as someone who is new to iCUE..

[ame]

[/ame]

Let me throw some Rep at you. Kinda upset you only have that much with all the work you do here

LOL.. thanks Buddy! ;): just knowing the info helps is enough thanks for me :).. good luck on your quest!

LOL.. thanks Buddy! ;): just knowing the info helps is enough thanks for me :).. good luck on your quest!

Please could you help with a question as a product I want to get isn't listed here.

The Corsair iCue 465x RGB case which comes with a Lighting Core Node and 3 LL120 RGB fans.

If I buy 3 more LL120 RGB fans which come with a Lighting Node Pro and the control hub would this work with this build.

FYI I'm buying the Corsair H100i Pro XT which comes with normal fans. I want to connect all this up. My motherboard is ASUS ROG X470 Crosshair Hero VII

I'm hoping all the fans will connect to the core node what comes with the case no need to use the lighting node pro and the control hub that comes with the 3 fans separately. They all connect to the lighting core node in the case? All 6 fans into it. Which then connects to USB and sata. And that will just work. And I will buy a 3 way splitter for the front 3 fans. Connect the 2 new RGB fans on the AIO to the pump fan connectors. And the rear fan to a motherboard header on its own.

So I'd be left over not using the lighting node pro and control hub as all 6 would fit into the included Light core node which is inside the 465x case ( maybe use it with some Corsair strips in future connected directly to a usb header)

This seems right on what over read with the lighting core node that comes with the case. It seems like the same device that comes with QL fans a all in 9ne no need for the lighting node pro.

But I'd very much appreciate advice hear. As I have these items in my Amazon basket waiting for the go ahead from you this works together.

Appreciate the help.

Edited by DelBoyJamie

First off it has to be said thank you for this amazing thread! It is going to save me so much trouble with my built im undertaking.

I did still have one question after the thread. I’m going to be using all QL fans since there’s going to be so many going for looks at the expense of moving less air is ok for me.

I know that you can’t use more than 6 QL on a lighting mode pro but since I’ll be using multiple commander pros and RGB led fan hubs only does the limit still apply? or can you use 12 QLs on a commander pro via 6 on each hub using both LED ports on the commander pro.

Hopefully I worded that right. Thanks in advance.

Please could you help with a question as a product I want to get isn't listed here.

The Corsair iCue 465x RGB case which comes with a Lighting Core Node and 3 LL120 RGB fans.

If I buy 3 more LL120 RGB fans which come with a Lighting Node Pro and the control hub would this work with this build.

FYI I'm buying the Corsair H100i Pro XT which comes with normal fans. I want to connect all this up. My motherboard is ASUS ROG X470 Crosshair Hero VII

I'm hoping all the fans will connect to the core node what comes with the case no need to use the lighting node pro and the control hub that comes with the 3 fans separately. They all connect to the lighting core node in the case? All 6 fans into it. Which then connects to USB and sata. And that will just work. And I will buy a 3 way splitter for the front 3 fans. Connect the 2 new RGB fans on the AIO to the pump fan connectors. And the rear fan to a motherboard header on its own.

So I'd be left over not using the lighting node pro and control hub as all 6 would fit into the included Light core node which is inside the 465x case ( maybe use it with some Corsair strips in future connected directly to a usb header)

This seems right on what over read with the lighting core node that comes with the case. It seems like the same device that comes with QL fans a all in 9ne no need for the lighting node pro.

But I'd very much appreciate advice hear. As I have these items in my Amazon basket waiting for the go ahead from you this works together.

Appreciate the help.

hey buddy.. yes you could simply add the new LL fans you buy to the LNC included with your Case

but you could keep the LNP for when you add soem Strips ;)

First off it has to be said thank you for this amazing thread! It is going to save me so much trouble with my built im undertaking.

I did still have one question after the thread. I’m going to be using all QL fans since there’s going to be so many going for looks at the expense of moving less air is ok for me.

I know that you can’t use more than 6 QL on a lighting mode pro but since I’ll be using multiple commander pros and RGB led fan hubs only does the limit still apply? or can you use 12 QLs on a commander pro via 6 on each hub using both LED ports on the commander pro.

Hopefully I worded that right. Thanks in advance.

no.. the CoPro does not have the same Limit as the NoPro buddy.. so yep correct you can indeed run the 12 QL's off of the CoPro :)

hey buddy.. yes you could simply add the new LL fans you buy to the LNC included with your Case

but you could keep the LNP for when you add soem Strips ;)

Cheers just ordered the 360mm new H150i Pro XT the 465x case and 3 LL120s gonna put the 350 rad in front using the 3 included LL120s on it and the new ones two on top and one in back. I was gonna get the 240mm and put in the top but for some strange reason in a iCUE RGB case that supports rads in top actually won't fit with corsairs own RGB pro ram lol. Only would be able to use non RGB low profile ram. Poor design but it's fine. A 360mm rad on my 3950x will be much better than the 280mm 4 year old H110i GT.

I was going to get the RGB strips kit but sadly my ROG crosshair hero 7 only has 1 usb 2.0 it does have another called Asus ext it is still a 2.0 header but only 1 channel I hope the 360 rad will or node core will work on that.

Regarding the Asus ext header which also doubles as a usb 2.0 but only 1 channel ( so if I was to let's say connect a old 2.0 front panel with 2 usb ports one would only work at a time )

Would either the lighting core node or the pump usb of the 150i pro xt be best plugged into that. Does the lighting core node use 2 channels? I think since my rad is just the pump that should only use one. I wish tech specs like this where listed.

I've purchased a internal usb 2.0 splitter I'm hoping all these Corsair products only use 1 channel on usb 2.0 not two

If you know what they use that would be helpful

is the top filtered in that case? if so. set as intake.. will mix with the warmer air from the rad which is good for ram and chipset etc... keeps dust down to a minimum also

Ok cheers. Do you know the technical specs of what the core node usb 2.0 uses and a pump usb. Will these work on a one channel usb 2.0. I wish Corsair would use another way to connect even though my Asus ROG Crosshair vii is a top of the range board it really only has 1 usb 2.0 the other can server as another usb 2.0 but it's a Asus ext for its own accessories but does server as another one. But from what I know and research it's only a one channel usb port. I'm concerned the pump RGB block on h150i pro xt and or the lighting core node won't work on a single channel usb 2.0 port.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnW8MwQ9/Screenshot-20200523-201923-01.jpg

You seem the right guy to know something this specific.

Also for real next gen x670 and intel parts likely won't even have usb 2.0 or just the one.

If it won't will this from Amazon work does it give you two new 2 channel usb 2.0 ports or does this just split a 2 channel 2.0 to 2x 1 channel ports.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DLVJ726/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_.GOYEbM4JS234

The will work in a single USB port.

And the stinginess of major motherboard manufacturers with the USB ports has become legendary. Many of us use the NZXT internal USB hub.

I wouldn't recommend the Amazon product you posted. It's not powered and we've seen that cause issues. Get a powered hub.

The will work in a single USB port.

And the stinginess of major motherboard manufacturers with the USB ports has become legendary. Many of us use the NZXT internal USB hub.

I wouldn't recommend the Amazon product you posted. It's not powered and we've seen that cause issues. Get a powered hub.

Hard to find one anywhere. I think the nzxt is discontinued. Can't get it anywhere

By the way even though it's called a splitter, the chip on the splitter is a actual usb hub chip I think because on the datasheet online still this now good as would need more power?

https://i.postimg.cc/hv4xdcTR/Screenshot-20200524-165026.jpg

Yes, it is hub. I know the device. We've seen issues with it here on the forum because it doesn't provide enough power. USB 2.0 is limited to 500mA (per spec). Unpowered hubs split that between the additional ports. So you have 1/2 the power going on each port.

There's also the AquaComputer Hubby. Personally, I've not used it so I can't vouch for its effectiveness. But it, too, is a powered internal USB hub.

Yes, it is hub. I know the device. We've seen issues with it here on the forum because it doesn't provide enough power. USB 2.0 is limited to 500mA (per spec). Unpowered hubs split that between the additional ports. So you have 1/2 the power going on each port.

There's also the AquaComputer Hubby. Personally, I've not used it so I can't vouch for its effectiveness. But it, too, is a powered internal USB hub.

cheers for your help I've ordered a powered one same one caseking sell the only one so should be ok

Thanks.

First time full RGBer here. I didn't really find a diagram that suited my situaton.

I'm getting a 465x case with a commander pro and an extra 3 LL120 fans and I'm going to use a h100i platinum I already have.

What's the ideal set up there? I don't think I'll add the 2 ML fans the h100i came with and I'll be front mounting the radiator.

Do I plug the 3 extra fans into the cases's lighting node and the pump into the motherboard RGB header?

How many USB headers will this use? I'm trying to get away with using a motherboard with 2 USB headers, keeping in mind I also have an RMi PSU I want to see in iCue as well. I can go for a board with 3 USB ports if need be.

Hi buddy...

so that case comes with 3 LL fans and you will be adding 3 more right?.. so yes just plug them into the supplied Hubs.

As the for cooler.. it connects via USB and Sata power.. its a self contained unit and will come with a manual :).. will all make sense once you read that

• 2 weeks later...
Hi buddy...

so that case comes with 3 LL fans and you will be adding 3 more right?.. so yes just plug them into the supplied Hubs.

As the for cooler.. it connects via USB and Sata power.. its a self contained unit and will come with a manual :).. will all make sense once you read that

hey buddy can you help me im going crazy over here, several days of stress and ripping the pc apart and buying new stuff and replacing items im so stressed its unbelieveable

I have 6 LL120s 3 that came with lighting node pro, and 3 thats came with the case which has a Lighting node core, ive also got a h150i pro xt and now a bloody commander pro

i wasnt having any luck with a nzxt powerd usb hub so i though screw it ill shell out for the commander pro

I have all 6 fans pwn in the commander pro and im using the lighting node that came with the 3 ll120s in order and powered and the led wire from the lighting node to led channel 1 on the commader pro which is then plugged into the on board usb 2.0 but its not showing up in icue

to test the commander pro was working i put all the led cable back on the node core that came with the case and plugged that usb into usb port on the commmander pro, and then all the leds and the node core showed up in icue but still not the commander pro??

so i know the port is working and the usb hub part of the commander pro is working but it doesnt show up

please help im going crazy

i have it wired exactly as you show here https://i.imgur.com/XSDWsneh.png