Corsair Community

HX750i swap HX1200i Problems

PixelatedBox

I have swapped out my existing HX750i for and new HX1200i PSU and used the cables from the old HX750i as according the the PSU cable compatibility chart they should be the same for all models for HXi. The problem is when i turn on the power with the HX1200i the motherboard lights up but the case fans do not spin and it wont post. I have tried with just the motherboard power cables attached and the same thing happens. But if i swap back to the HX750i everything works again. Do you have any suggestions or have i just been unlucky and got a faulty unit?

Using stock cables I have had everything hooked up SATA PCIE etc but scaled it back to troubleshoot. So for a basic post test I would use the 24-pin ATX and 8-pin CPU only all fans are connected to motherboard with the HX1200i connected RGB on motherboard lights up, RAM lights up but case fans don’t spin. ASUS Q code shows 00 which I think means no CPU detected . If I move the cables back to the HX750i everything works again. It’s like the CPU is not getting any power well that’s my theory!

• Corsair Employee
Using stock cables I have had everything hooked up SATA PCIE etc but scaled it back to troubleshoot. So for a basic post test I would use the 24-pin ATX and 8-pin CPU only all fans are connected to motherboard with the HX1200i connected RGB on motherboard lights up, RAM lights up but case fans don’t spin. ASUS Q code shows 00 which I think means no CPU detected . If I move the cables back to the HX750i everything works again. It’s like the CPU is not getting any power well that’s my theory!

So you tried it with JUST the 24-pin and 8-pin and NONE of the SATA/PATA cables attached to the PSU and it STILL doesn't go past "00"?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having pretty much this exact problem (right down to the Q code), did you ever get to the bottom of it?

Just posted in the other HX1200i thread now had 2 faulty HX1200i

203471 36000005840043

203471 36000005840038

1st was bought from the UK webstore this was returned do you have any techs that can check the unit?

2nd from Scan in the UK awaiting the RMA label to return they will do some tests so will let you know what they say

Just posted in the other HX1200i thread now had 2 faulty HX1200i

203471 36000005840043

203471 36000005840038

1st was bought from the UK webstore this was returned do you have any techs that can check the unit?

2nd from Scan in the UK awaiting the RMA label to return they will do some tests so will let you know what they say

I own a HX1200i 203471 36000005840044

Bought 2 weeks ago from the UK webstore and fitted 10/10/20

Some of the fans run then stop start, motherboard lights up and debug led's go mental but pc will not boot. Refitted old PSU and everything works as it should.

Edited by Technobeard

I own a HX1200i 203471 36000005840044

Bought 2 weeks ago from the UK webstore and fitted 10/10/20

Some of the fans run then stop start, motherboard lights up and debug led's go mental but pc will not boot. Refitted old PSU and everything works as it should.

Well it looks as though 5 from this batch are all doing the same thing. I am sending the 2nd PSU back today and going to ask if they can send a replacement with a different batch number if possible but they have gone Out of stock at Scan so might be waiting a while

Hi PixelatedBox,

Can ask how you returned yours to the Corsair UK webstore?, i submitted a support ticket but this went to the US support and they advised to get in touch with the UK webstore. But when I try I end up going in circles and end back up with US support.

As you said this seems possibly like a faulty batch.

Hi PixelatedBox,

Can ask how you returned yours to the Corsair UK webstore?, i submitted a support ticket but this went to the US support and they advised to get in touch with the UK webstore. But when I try I end up going in circles and end back up with US support.

As you said this seems possibly like a faulty batch.

That’s sounds like nonsense! I raised a support ticket on Corsair.com nothing happened for a week so posted on the Reddit r/Corsair Weekly Technical Thread the guys there took ownership of the ticket and I got the returns label a few days after they took over. I would recommend posting on Reddit along with the ticket number and they should help you out

• Corsair Employee
Scan have confirmed a fault with the PSU they are currently out of stock of the HX1200i which might be a good thing! So I have gone for the AX1200i and hopefully have better luck

Interesting. I would love to know how they tested it.

Do you have a contact name or something?

I got an email from China last night saying they can't find anything wrong with the PSUs. :(

Edited by jonnyguru

I got an email from China last night saying they can't find anything wrong with the PSUs. :(

It was tested by iosman on the 20th of October if it’s any help Scan RMA 559254

Got my replacement RMA HX1200i last Thursday and all is good, checked the batch number and it's from a different batch.

• Corsair Employee

Cool.

I think I know the problem. The PSU has all of the voltages live and correct, but the power good signal is turning on too soon and the motherboard isn't catching it. Most boards need the PSU to "wait" 100ms before the signal is live. I think the signal is coming in much sooner.

It's something that can actually be fixed (like putting a resistor or diode on the PG lead), but bottom line is nobody should have to do that.

Still need to do more testing.

Cool.

I think I know the problem. The PSU has all of the voltages live and correct, but the power good signal is turning on too soon and the motherboard isn't catching it. Most boards need the PSU to "wait" 100ms before the signal is live. I think the signal is coming in much sooner.

It's something that can actually be fixed (like putting a resistor or diode on the PG lead), but bottom line is nobody should have to do that.

Still need to do more testing.

Thanks for the update that kind of makes sense when I tested all the voltages with a multimeter everything was fine and it did seem to be a problem with the power good signal.

I went for the AX1200i as the HX1200i was out of stock it is now installed and running fine.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the update that kind of makes sense when I tested all the voltages with a multimeter everything was fine and it did seem to be a problem with the power good signal.

I went for the AX1200i as the HX1200i was out of stock it is now installed and running fine.

Can you confirm for me that this PSU was being used on the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO in your profile?