Corsair Community

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler Pump/Fans Noise

Striken

Hi guys,

I purchase yesterday a H100i unit but it makes an irritating loud sound that I think it comes from the pump or fans, (I just don't know).

I've upgraded the unit with 1.0.4 firmware but the noise persists.

I've read that some people connected the fans directly to the motherboard and that solved the noise, but when I connect my fans they rotate at the max speed, and I cannot control it in the bios because the fans are 3 pin connection.

Do I need to disconnect the usb pump connection and the 3 pin fan pump connection also?

If the pump it's already powered by the SATA cable, what is the pump 3 pin connector for?

The guide that comes with the unit doesn't explain anything...

Can someone please help me and tell me how to solve this issue or just how to connect the fans to the motherboard and how to control them?

Thanks,

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its frustrating I know but there is little that one can do..

If you run the stock fans, they vibrate at low RPM's (tested at 5v, sounds like an idling tractor)

If you run stock fans on the pumphead, above about 600rpm, the controller screams in pain.

If you run stock fans on the mobo, they can be quite noisy, even when turned to 'low' speeds..

Running 3rd party fans on the pumphead, results in the fans being run at full speed all the time, apparantly this is to be expected as non-stock fans are not officially supported, which makes me think that half the selling points of the h100i, are in fact, completely useless.

Best option at the moment, use 3rd party fans, run from the mobo headers, and forget about the stock fans, or using the pumphead fan controller, or being able to properly regulate the fan speeds from within windows, etc etc blah blah..

Do I need to disconnect the usb pump connection and the 3 pin fan pump connection also?
If you want to be able t control the unit with the Corsair Link Dashboard, then yes.

If the pump it's already powered by the SATA cable, what is the pump 3 pin connector for?

That is so the MB detects a CPU fan and you do not get the "no CPU fan detected" error upon start up.

As far as the noise goes, I know enginerring is looking into it. If your unit is so loud that it can be heard above everything else you may want to return it to the place of purchase for another unit, or use the link on the left to request an RMA.

If you run stock fans on the mobo, they can be quite noisy, even when turned to 'low' speeds..

Running 3rd party fans on the pump head, results in the fans being run at full speed all the time, apparantly this is to be expected as non-stock fans are not officially supported, which makes me think that half the selling points of the h100i, are in fact, completely useless.

I know they are working on improved compatibility for other fans. It's the way they are supplying power to the fans that is causing issues with other fans. I can tell you that's not what they expected to happen

Thank you very much for your quick reply and support guys.

It's true, it's very frustrating. I've spend all weekend reading and trying to solve this issue with no success. Anyway I truly hope Corsair fix this problem quickly.

I'm not going to RMA because for what I've seen it happens with all units, the only thing to do is to return this product because it doesn't work like advertised by Corsair, but that I wont do also. If I can just find a way to manage the cooler fans when connected to the MB that's Ok for now.

When connecting the fans to the MB, do I need to disconnect the usb or the 3 pin connector from the cooler? Do they have any interference? Or I can leave both connected?

Replying to peanutz94: First of all thanks, no the sound is not so loud as that, but irritating enough...

If anyone can help me with these questions, in how to connect the fans to the MB and control them. Do I need to buy 4 pin fans?

Thanks for the help guys,

If anyone can help me with these questions, in how to connect the fans to the MB and control them. Do I need to buy 4 pin fans?

You don't have to, but if you want the MB to be able to controll them , then yes. Otherwise even a 3 pin fan will conect to a 4 pin header. The connectors on the fan are keyed with a slot. Line that up with the post on the MB header and your good to go.

Its frustrating I know but there is little that one can do..

If you run the stock fans, they vibrate at low RPM's (tested at 5v, sounds like an idling tractor)

If you run stock fans on the pumphead, above about 600rpm, the controller screams in pain.

Running 3rd party fans on the pumphead, results in the fans being run at full speed all the time, apparantly this is to be expected as non-stock fans are not officially supported, which makes me think that half the selling points of the h100i, are in fact, completely useless.

Best option at the moment, use 3rd party fans, run from the mobo headers, and forget about the stock fans, or using the pumphead fan controller, or being able to properly regulate the fan speeds from within windows, etc etc blah blah..

You don't have to, but if you want the MB to be able to controll them , then yes. Otherwise even a 3 pin fan will conect to a 4 pin header. The connectors on the fan are keyed with a slot. Line that up with the post on the MB header and your good to go.

Hi guys,

Just to tell you that the seller replaced my unit for a new one and this one came with the new firmware already and is working like a charm. No pump noise (at any speed), no fan noise.

Finally a happy costumer.

Thanks for all the support.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I just set up my H100i and had the same problem as everyone else with the fans making a "whining sound" at low speeds. I checked the firmware and it already come installed with v1.04 firmware. So I swapped out the Corsair fans with 4 SilenX EFX-12-15 fans in a push/pull setup and now it's dead silent and moves a TON of air! Sure it cost me an additional $48 for the fans, which is almost 1/2 the price of the H100i, but now it moves a lot more air and it's absolutely silent. Ans yes they run at full 100% all the time unless lowered manually in the software, but even at full speed they are much quieter than the Corsair fans at the lowest sped.

I really feel that Corsair should include better fans with a semi-high-end cooling solution such as the H100i. Either that or offer a "bare bones" kit so you can choose your own fans.

• 1 month later...
I just set up my H100i and had the same problem as everyone else with the fans making a "whining sound" at low speeds. I checked the firmware and it already come installed with v1.04 firmware. So I swapped out the Corsair fans with 4 SilenX EFX-12-15 fans in a push/pull setup and now it's dead silent and moves a TON of air! Sure it cost me an additional $48 for the fans, which is almost 1/2 the price of the H100i, but now it moves a lot more air and it's absolutely silent. Ans yes they run at full 100% all the time unless lowered manually in the software, but even at full speed they are much quieter than the Corsair fans at the lowest sped.

I really feel that Corsair should include better fans with a semi-high-end cooling solution such as the H100i. Either that or offer a "bare bones" kit so you can choose your own fans.

Old thread is old, but, did you connect your new fans to the pump? Whenever i use the stock fans on the pump it whines like crazy, and when I plug them out, silence..

I would also be very interested to know where did you hook and control your third party fans. But I am a little confused here. What I was told that the whistling noise came from the pump not the fans! Fans causes the pump to make the noise in lower speeds... So changing the fans effecting the noise how?

You mention that your new fans in full speed are quieter than the stuck fans at 'Quiet' mode. I found that utterly incredible. My stock fans are absolutely quiet at 'Quiet' mode. So these fans are much quieter than that, while speening in full speed? :bigeyes:

You also mentioned that you run them at full 100% unless lowered manually in the software? That isn't Corsair Link I presume.

I am sorry if I seem questioning you as oppose to asking. In my defense,

all I can say is I am dying here for taciturnity... The noise is killing me. :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee
These new PWM fans are going to be available in a day or two so if you have the high pitch or buzzing noise, please submit an RMA request and explain what the issue is. Our customer service has been advised to take of these matters promptly.

Ramguy, Could you let Jacob know about that? He told me on the phone today that it was a firmware update. Email support told me to connect the fans directly to the MB as a workaround. Right now the pump and cooler aren't being detected in corsair link. So I'm not exactly sure how I'll be able to update the FW.

Case#:5568480

Jhu and Brad - We've sent you both the instruction on how to get the new set of PWM fans. Check your case #s and you both got the response. Just complete all the info required and we will send them out.

So is everyone going to be required to fill out an RMA to get new fans? I have 2 H100i s so will I have to RMA both of them or how is this going to work?

Jhu and Brad - We've sent you both the instruction on how to get the new set of PWM fans. Check your case #s and you both got the response. Just complete all the info required and we will send them out.

I submitted an RMA for the same purpose last week and received a response indicating that I need to send in the entire unit. Case #5604507

I have a case number from 1/16/12 asking about the grinding noise. Should I start a new ticket or can I just update the one I already have. (Case #5512070). I posted a new question on the old case (at the time they said that a new firmware would fix this issue).

Also on a side note, what will be the differences in terms of what the fans can and cannot do with the corsair link software now that they are PWM fans.

• Corsair Employee

For those who are having the high pitch and buzzing noise caused by the stock fans, all you have to do is submit an RMA request and explain the problem. Once you get a confirmation email and ask you to return the defective product, ignore that part, because customer service has a separate process for this specific transaction.

It'd be really hard for me to check every single case # and find out what the status is, best is to contact our customer service via web support and get an update from there.

The 3pin and 4pin will have the same spec and will have the same capability in cooling, it's just the new ones are made to address the high pitch coming from the pump when the 3pin fan is connected to the controller, so keep in mind, that if you DO NOT have that issue and your 3pin fan works fine and it functions as intended, then there is NO NEED to use the PWM fans.

For those who are having the high pitch and buzzing noise caused by the stock fans, all you have to do is submit an RMA request and explain the problem. Once you get a confirmation email and ask you to return the defective product, ignore that part, because customer service has a separate process for this specific transaction.

It'd be really hard for me to check every single case # and find out what the status is, best is to contact our customer service via web support and get an update from there.

The 3pin and 4pin will have the same spec and will have the same capability in cooling, it's just the new ones are made to address the high pitch coming from the pump when the 3pin fan is connected to the controller, so keep in mind, that if DO NOT have that issue and your 3pin fan works fine and it funcstions as intended, then there is NO NEED to use the PWM fans.

Thanks for the info! I just finished up the RMA process.

The 3pin and 4pin will have the same spec and will have the same capability in cooling, it's just the new ones are made to address the high pitch coming from the pump when the 3pin fan is connected to the controller, so keep in mind, that if DO NOT have that issue and your 3pin fan works fine and it funcstions as intended, then there is NO NEED to use the PWM fans.

What about when the noise is coming from the pump?

I changed the stock fans, and connected them to my motherboard.

My PC is almost dead silent, except for the pump. It's not loud per say, but the high pich noise it makes it REALLY REALLY irritating, it's starting to give me headaches.

Will RMA change that?

Right now, I'm thinking to try to convert the Sata Pump connector to something else so I can change the voltage of it, like a Fan controller device.

Archived