Corsair Community

Random keys flickering / flashing

qbix

Brand new Corsair customer here. I love the feel of this keyboard and I've had a lot of fun with the lighting effects. However, I'm getting a problem where random keys are flickering random colors whenever a constant gradient effect is active, even on a single key. Very distracting, specially at night. I've tried different suggestions, from plugging into a single USB3 port, plugging into USB2 ports in the correct order, uninstall+reinstall CUE and testing with 16.8m color setting and without. Here's a brief clip of what's happening:

http://i.imgur.com/FvPyYEK.gif

I'm not sure what else to try and I'm hoping CUE2 comes out soon with new firmware that fixes this issue. However, if it is my keyboard that's faulty, I'd like to get a chance to return it while I can from Amazon. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

For reference, part number is CH-9101012-NA. Also, attached is the lighting mode I make reference to.

AlphaNum.mode

• 1 month later...

Hey, just wondering what the final outcome was here. I just got my K70 Lux RGB yesterday and noticed the same issue last night, so I'm curious whether this turned out to be a hardware problem or not.

I started out with a pretty basic profile with just static colors, then went to add a white, low opacity gradient over the top. I was going for a subtle "breathing" effect. But shortly after doing so, I noticed some keys would occasionally flash to the wrong color. It seemed to be a certain set of keys ('p' in particular, though I think Enter would also do it, and one of the media keys as well along with a few others).

There doesn't seem to be any problem when the gradient effect is turned off, so somehow it doesn't *seem* like a hardware issue, but who knows? I could easily see it being a software or firmware issue, so hopefully fixable down the road. It's almost like the LEDs for that key are getting a random signal.

It may be doing this sort of thing all the time but you'd never notice it if the effects you're running are dramatic. Sadly, I think it's just because I'm trying to do something very subtle that quick anomalies like this are highly visible.

qbix, did you wind up getting a replacement? Did it help?

Henry, were you guys able to reproduce the issue? If it helps, I can try to figure out how to upload a profile that demonstrates the issue. Like I said, I'm new! :)

Other than this one issue, loving the keyboard. It's my first mechanical. Decided to go big!

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I got myself a beautiful new Corsair K70 LUX RGB for Christmas.

I have this issue, it occurs in both 512 and 16.8m colour modes. It seems to occur more when there are animations, but has occasionally occurred with static colours. I have tried using the keyboard in USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

It's not a big issue, it's just slightly distracting if I'm gaming. There will be a tiny flicker (as described in OP) every minute or so. The colour of some keys flick to red for a millisecond.

I imagine this could be because red is the default colour during startup? So I'm wondering if this is an issue with the USB driver?

-Problems with LED Flickering

Turn off 16.8 million color mode for older devices.

Update chipset and USB controller drivers. Update the BIOS.

Check your logs for dropped packets. This indicates a USB controller issue. C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Corsair\CUE\logs

Wait, if you have the new LUX keyboard then you shouldn't even see a 16,8m colors option to being with. Only the old/legacy K65/K70/K96 RGB keyboards have the old LED controller which has a flicker issue. All new keyboards have the updated LED controller used from the Strafe keyboard onwards which solves the issue.

Wait, if you have the new LUX keyboard then you shouldn't even see a 16,8m colors option to being with. Only the old/legacy K65/K70/K96 RGB keyboards have the old LED controller which has a flicker issue. All new keyboards have the updated LED controller used from the Strafe keyboard onwards which solves the issue.

Except there seems to be an occasional problem for some that the Strafe RGB and LUX/Rapidfire RGB (K-series 2.0) will ocassionally flicker (no matter what), at least on some computers. Inheritance here thinks it's an USB controller issue, while the Corsair guys though (or at least made it sound like) that it's a software issue. :/

-Problems with LED Flickering

Turn off 16.8 million color mode for older devices.

Update chipset and USB controller drivers. Update the BIOS.

Check your logs for dropped packets. This indicates a USB controller issue. C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Corsair\CUE\logs

Occurs with both 16.8m colours on and off. That's the setting in the 'program' section of CUI. It's nothing as bad as the flicker you get on the old K70s - it's very occasional, just kind of annoying, but nothing I'm going to kick up a fuss about.

Updated chipset and used the intel USB ports. Same problem.

BIOS was already fully updated, but I have a pretty old motherboard (compared to the rest of my kit at least) so it could be just that - old BIOS and old MB.

I'm upgrading the MB in a few months, so I suppose we'll see the change by then.

Edit: Interestingly it appears to be only a few keys that go off. It froze at the wrong colours for about 5 seconds (never done that before) - it was the down arrow, P, Rshift and enter. That's exactly the region the flashing has been happening before too. Always those keys.

Dunno if any of that's helpful.

Occurs with both 16.8m colours on and off. That's the setting in the 'program' section of CUI. It's nothing as bad as the flicker you get on the old K70s - it's very occasional, just kind of annoying, but nothing I'm going to kick up a fuss about.

Updated chipset and used the intel USB ports. Same problem.

BIOS was already fully updated, but I have a pretty old motherboard (compared to the rest of my kit at least) so it could be just that - old BIOS and old MB.

I'm upgrading the MB in a few months, so I suppose we'll see the change by then.

Edit: Interestingly it appears to be only a few keys that go off. It froze at the wrong colours for about 5 seconds (never done that before) - it was the down arrow, P, Rshift and enter. That's exactly the region the flashing has been happening before too. Always those keys.

Dunno if any of that's helpful.

Probably a bug, as I have thought of all along. Just to make sure though, did you try both plugs on the motherboard, after the updates/driver installs?

Probably a bug, as I have thought of all along. Just to make sure though, did you try both plugs on the motherboard, after the updates/driver installs?

I have 10 USB ports of two varieties. 4x USB 3.0 (Renesas) and 6x USB 2.0 (Intel Chipset).

I've tried it on both of those. Same problem before & after updates. I've genuinely done everything I can to update it.

I mean, it's either a software issue with my computer (which I can't do much about now), a hardware issue with the keyboard (but the KB is fine in every other regard) or a CUI issue. I'd guess it's the first or last issue.

But hey, I'm in no rush, 2 year warranty and the KB is only 2 weeks old! Plenty of time to wait for updates and see if that fixes it.

I have 10 USB ports of two varieties. 4x USB 3.0 (Renesas) and 6x USB 2.0 (Intel Chipset).

I've tried it on both of those. Same problem before & after updates. I've genuinely done everything I can to update it.

I mean, it's either a software issue with my computer (which I can't do much about now), a hardware issue with the keyboard (but the KB is fine in every other regard) or a CUI issue. I'd guess it's the first or last issue.

But hey, I'm in no rush, 2 year warranty and the KB is only 2 weeks old! Plenty of time to wait for updates and see if that fixes it.

Could be firmware for the keyboard too.

Oh come on, why isn't there much word on this problem by the support team by Corsair? Is this another hardware flaw like with the flicker on the 1st gen K-series with 16.8 million color mode? :mad:

For official support you should submit a ticket. The forum is mainly peer-to-peer support, Corsair employees do visit it from time to time but at this time I think they are all busy with CES 2017 related things.

And as I mentioned before the hardware part of the flicker issue is fixed in the new LUX series. It can still be a firmware/software issue though, or an hardware issue related to the USB controller on your motherboard.

For official support you should submit a ticket. The forum is mainly peer-to-peer support, Corsair employees do visit it from time to time but at this time I think they are all busy with CES 2017 related things.

And as I mentioned before the hardware part of the flicker issue is fixed in the new LUX series. It can still be a firmware/software issue though, or an hardware issue related to the USB controller on your motherboard.

I'll try that soon, but I need to get my full PC privileges again, and my parents should (hopefully they kept it) hopefully find my receipt. I hope they didn't throw it away...

• 4 weeks later...

My Rapidfire sometimes does the same, just in the part of the number keypad, I thought it was my imagination, as I noticed it barely as it's alost out of viewing angle.

It looks like a CUE fault for me, as it blinks of the color of the ripple effect (so not in stored in hardware).

I contacted Customer Support and Reflashed the firmware of my k70 rgb rapidfire (2.05) manually. However, in more complex lightings the problem still persists.

Things i now tried:

Force flashing via CUE

Manually flashing

Changing USB ports and standards (3.1, 3.0, 2.0)

Updating Bios

Updating Usb and chipset drivers

Different light intensities

Changing cue process priority

Cue compatibility and admin mode

Downgrading to Cue 1.x

Unplugging some other usb devices

Getting my PCH connected ssd und full load, then going to see if flicker intensifies (nope)

Apply standard voltage to my cpu again

Some bios settings which all didnt help

Some Cue settings like deactivating sdk

Pray

Looking into logs if there are lost usb packages (there arent)

I dont really want to rma it and answered customer support about this, but i get a rma-ish feel =/

• 8 months later...

I have same problem with my brand new k70 rapidfire . I bought it from amazon. For example in color shift mode some keys randomly flickering with white light .

What am I going to do idont know. I dont want to refund it because i live in middle east. Package cost for USA huge amount for me.

• 1 month later...

Archived