Corsair Community

New PC, is that fan setup is ok?

omrihero4

Hi guys

first of all, sorry for my english :)

I just build my new pc and wondering if anything is looking fine and correct,

especially the fan setup. please tell me if you think something need to move and relocate. (i'm not gonna overclock nothing in the future)

Corsair Carbide 400c

Corsair RM650x

Asus Prime z370-a

i7-8700k

Corsair Hydro h115i 280mm

Corsair Vengeance rgb 8x2 3000mhz

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Ftw3

Samsung EVO 850 ssd 250gb

this is how it's looks like:

0__05a4c3e374bb45.jpg

another important question, i've added 2 ML120 pro fans at the top and one is connected to CHA_FAN1 on the motherboard and the other one is connected to M.2 FAN on the motherboard because i didn't have another place to connect it. it's that fine to connect the fan to the M.2 fan on the mb?

those are the temperatures:

0__05a4c404e7987c.jpg

Really waiting for your advice, thanks alot! :biggrin:

Overall, I'd say it looks good ... but the proof is really in the numbers. After an hour of PUBG, your temps are still quite good. More telling would be to look at the average over time, particularly of the CPU and GPU as these tend to vary a good deal more.

Question: What temperature do you use for your exhaust fan speeds?

The only thing that I would caution you about is the possibility of a negative pressure situation (more exhaust than intake). You can manage this by carefully balancing your fans and, perhaps, slowing down one or both of the ML120s.

Overall, I'd say it looks good ... but the proof is really in the numbers. After an hour of PUBG, your temps are still quite good. More telling would be to look at the average over time, particularly of the CPU and GPU as these tend to vary a good deal more.

Question: What temperature do you use for your exhaust fan speeds?

The only thing that I would caution you about is the possibility of a negative pressure situation (more exhaust than intake). You can manage this by carefully balancing your fans and, perhaps, slowing down one or both of the ML120s.

thanks buddy,

i cant understand what you mean by temperature for my exhaust fan speed... please explain to me

and how i can control and slow down the top fans? they are too noisy...

Typically fans are controlled by a fan curve that alters the fan speed based on temperature ... the warmer the source temperature, the faster the fans (for more airflow).

Typically, this is done in the BIOS by setting the fan curve for the fan header that the fans are attached to. Which is actually your question ... you would need to go into the BIOS and adjust the fan curve settings for the fan headers that the ML fans are set to. But ML fans typically aren't noise; usually what you hear is the sound of air (mostly). So .. what fan header to you have those top fans attached to?

Typically fans are controlled by a fan curve that alters the fan speed based on temperature ... the warmer the source temperature, the faster the fans (for more airflow).

Typically, this is done in the BIOS by setting the fan curve for the fan header that the fans are attached to. Which is actually your question ... you would need to go into the BIOS and adjust the fan curve settings for the fan headers that the ML fans are set to. But ML fans typically aren't noise; usually what you hear is the sound of air (mostly). So .. what fan header to you have those top fans attached to?

one is attached to the CHA_FAN2 header and the another one is attached to the M.2 FAN header because i didnt have any extra header for him. is that ok? because the rear exhaust fan is already attached to the CHA_FAN1 header.

another important question buddy, the hydro h115i fans should be first attached to the case and than the radiator (like the current status in the picture) or i should first attach the radiator to the case and after him the fans? what is the right way?

thanks alot for your help !!!

I'm not familiar with the M.2 Fan Header but I strongly suspect that it's just a typical, run-of-the-mill PWM fan header with a "marketing designation". Assuming that's the case, then that's fine.

What you'll want to do is go into your BIOS and tweak the fan curves. Since you have liquid cooling for the processor, using the CPU temperature doesn't really make sense for the source temperature; you'll want to see if you can use a motherboard or add-on sensor that measure ambient temperature, likely just above the GPU (which will likely be the warmest part of the system).

I'm not familiar with the M.2 Fan Header but I strongly suspect that it's just a typical, run-of-the-mill PWM fan header with a "marketing designation". Assuming that's the case, then that's fine.

What you'll want to do is go into your BIOS and tweak the fan curves. Since you have liquid cooling for the processor, using the CPU temperature doesn't really make sense for the source temperature; you'll want to see if you can use a motherboard or add-on sensor that measure ambient temperature, likely just above the GPU (which will likely be the warmest part of the system).

thanks dev, i will come back home later and check that.

and what you can say about the h115i fans location? they are in the right place (before the radiator, like in the picture i added up top) or they should be after the radiator?

thanks dev, i will come back home later and check that.

and what you can say about the h115i fans location? they are in the right place (before the radiator, like in the picture i added up top) or they should be after the radiator?

They are fine where they are. Push or pull doesn't matter when it comes to performance of the radiator.

one is attached to the CHA_FAN2 header and the another one is attached to the M.2 FAN header because i didnt have any extra header for him. is that ok? because the rear exhaust fan is already attached to the CHA_FAN1 header.

Unfortunately, Asus isn't nice enough to list the current/wattage limits for the headers in your manual like they do on some of the other Z370's, but I also agree the m.2 header is just another typical chassis fan header with new name. On the Code it goes away and becomes a W_Pump header. That means a 1.0A current limit and yes, it is just fine to run a case fan from there. However, there is no reason you can't put the two ML fans on top on $4 PWM splitter and then you don't have to run to the bottom of the case and program both top fans individually each time.

Your temperatures are jut fine. The only thing I notice is the case ambient appears to go up about +9C during the 2 hour gaming load. Hardly uncommon or out of the ordinary, but it does add 9C to most every other value in the case and that is an easier element to address compared to natural coolant delta, CPU voltage saving, or fan speed. The only real alternative placement would be to put the H115i on the top as exhaust (with those ML fans!) and then use anything else you have for the front intake. That is likely to balance out the flows and increase the air exchange. It might also offer some better direct cooling for motherboard components like the RAM modules, VRM heatsink, or m.2 drives. No reason to rush into this, but if Summer comes around and the GPU temps start to creep up some more, this might be an alternative solution to try.

Unfortunately, Asus isn't nice enough to list the current/wattage limits for the headers in your manual like they do on some of the other Z370's, but I also agree the m.2 header is just another typical chassis fan header with new name. On the Code it goes away and becomes a W_Pump header. That means a 1.0A current limit and yes, it is just fine to run a case fan from there. However, there is no reason you can't put the two ML fans on top on $4 PWM splitter and then you don't have to run to the bottom of the case and program both top fans individually each time.

Your temperatures are jut fine. The only thing I notice is the case ambient appears to go up about +9C during the 2 hour gaming load. Hardly uncommon or out of the ordinary, but it does add 9C to most every other value in the case and that is an easier element to address compared to natural coolant delta, CPU voltage saving, or fan speed. The only real alternative placement would be to put the H115i on the top as exhaust (with those ML fans!) and then use anything else you have for the front intake. That is likely to balance out the flows and increase the air exchange. It might also offer some better direct cooling for motherboard components like the RAM modules, VRM heatsink, or m.2 drives. No reason to rush into this, but if Summer comes around and the GPU temps start to creep up some more, this might be an alternative solution to try.

thanks alot dude, i really want to move the h115i radiator to the top but this case support only up to 240 mm radiator on the top. and the h115i radiator is 280 mm. also, the radiator fans is 140mm and the ml fans are 120 mm, so i cant switch between them.

do you have another idea how to extra cooling down the case ambient?

i did change some little things this week, i replaced the rear exhaust fan from the stock one that comes with the case to ml120 pro also, and because the both of the top ml 120 pro did some noise I entered the bios and switch their mode from DC to PWM, since then they are silent and their RPM is relaxed from solid 1600 rpm to around 500 rpm and higher when gaming, is that right to do?

0__05a56ccd31c550.jpg

Archived