The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2017, 08:04 PM

POST ID # = 886504
samuraijack13 Reputation: 10
Question Dominator led light kit brightness variance

after spending a few hours frustrated i have finally found out my issue.

I had previously bought a 16 gb (4x4) from NCIX set of ram and wanted to upgrade.

I purchased another kit from NCIX

I also purchased 8 light bar kits.

after installation of the kits I was sitting here looking at 3 full bright sticks and 5 dimly lit sticks.

I would have been quick to assume my previous sticks leds were dim if all 4 of my new sticks were bright but only 3 were.

I removed lenses< light bars< swapped the light kits around on different sticks. It was obvious I had 3 sticks with much brighter leds on them in the newest kit and 1 dim that matched my previous kit exactly.

after a few more hours on the phone with NCIX help I got fed up and went to bed.

Tonight I decided to get to the bottom of this.

I removed all 8 sticks and laid them out on the table to try and find the difference between the sticks.

here is the issue.

there are different numbers on the pcbs of the sticks. these are gold numbers easily visible.

of the new kit 3 were 50-002376 ( bright fully lit ) and one was 50-002364 ( dim)

my existing kit all 4 were 50-002364 ( dim )

also to note the bright ones are marked ver 4.23 and the dim ones ver 5.29 on the stickers.

I have lost hours on this and am now in the process of having NCIX try and pull a set that are all the same and bright. This has me about to contact corsair to ask for help exchanging my dim ones for bright ones because my previous kit is past 30 days. They should really have a note in the instructions of the light bars noting these version changes and the poor lighting the kit will have with version 5.29 bars.

very frustrated here, but I hope this may save some one countless hours trying to figure this out.

After the usual testing, the ram is working fine otherwise.

Last edited by samuraijack13; 01-15-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:18 AM

POST ID # = 886717

I am ashamed of the response form corsair.

this is the current status.

Created By: Arturo T S (1/14/2017 8:37 PM)
We only guarantee the kit itself will have the brightness matching of the rest of the modules in itself, other kits are not guaranteed to work together not have the same intensity of light exactly.

I recently purchased kit of the EXACT SAME part number and recieved 3 sticks of fully lit ram and 1 stick of poorly lit ram that match my previously purchased POORLY lit ram.

I purchased 8 light bar kits based on online reviews and pictures , and this is FALSE ADVERTISING on corsairs part

Unless you receive the newer version you WILL NOT get lighting as advertised.

i had numerous failures on there FORCE SSD's and they were very helpful and finally upgraded me and I have been a satisfied customer until now.

Corsair.... follow through and exchange my POORLY LIT ram sticks so that the $100 I spent on YOUR light bar kits perform as you advertised.

no hard feelings, just step up and support your product please.

Last edited by samuraijack13; 01-15-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:40 AM

POST ID # = 886718

This is what i see as the picture shows, from top to bottom

1dim
2bright
3dim
4bright
5bright
6dim
7dim
8dim

Last edited by samuraijack13; 01-15-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:19 AM

POST ID # = 886720

Created By: Shawn Mooney (1/14/2017 9:57 PM)
I have had no issue with RMA from corsair regarding stickers. I can understand if I was unable to send back the product without proper serial numbers but I am able to.

NCIX says they are only able to RMA product that is within 30 days and are willing to RMA the kit i received a few days ago.

I hope you stand behind your product, as I spent $100 on light bars based off of your pictures and online reviews. as well I have spent over $700 CAD on this Ram alone. I do not feel it is unreasonable to expect a quality product .

Created By: Arturo T S (1/14/2017 9:51 PM)
We cannot replace your memory if that is the case.

Any modification is not covered under warranty. NCIX might take them back.

Created By: Shawn Mooney (1/14/2017 9:50 PM)
NCIX has already acknowledged my findings and has been very grateful as they have had numerous concerns regarding this issue without knowing the cause. They have already sent me an RMA # for the latest kit.

I have documented the sticks because i removed the stickers for aesthetics as i have built this computer as a display piece.

i have kept all the stickers but they are not in PRIME condition, but easily re applied to the sticks for RMA purposes.

I am only asking you to RMA the first set of ram as NCIX will replace the newest set. If you wish to RMA both kits that would make things much simpler please advise.
Created By: Arturo T S (1/14/2017 9:42 PM)
Please attach both your kits' proofs of purchase, I can try replacing both.

Last edited by samuraijack13; 01-15-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:57 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 886753
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Unfortunately, this is an old issue going back several years. You were somewhat fortunate the two different versions were stable together, but obviously the LED thing is a bit annoying. I can see why NCIX might not be able to do much about that. However, I am curious about the second matched kit's different serial numbers. That seems a bit unusual. Unfortunately, removing the RAM stickers is one of those things you are not supposed to do. Hopefully, some compromise can be worked out.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:30 PM

POST ID # = 886766

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Unfortunately, this is an old issue going back several years. You were somewhat fortunate the two different versions were stable together, but obviously the LED thing is a bit annoying. I can see why NCIX might not be able to do much about that. However, I am curious about the second matched kit's different serial numbers. That seems a bit unusual. Unfortunately, removing the RAM stickers is one of those things you are not supposed to do. Hopefully, some compromise can be worked out.
I am just finding this out now.

the light bar kits were on back order so I got the ram first.

I have been running fine for 2 weeks now.

I'd like corsair to step up and help, because look at the serial numbers

the serial numbers of the new kit go in sequence

the box matches the ram and the serial numbers go in sequence with the last serial number being the dim one

164904935699422 bright pcb is 50-002376

164904935699423 bright pcb is 50-002376

164904935699424 bright pcb is 50-002376

164904935699425 dim pcb is 50-002364

how does a version 5.29 come in sequence as the LAST serial number? the stickers on the sticks match the sticker on the back of the box so it was shipped from corsair this way.

my previous kit had all the stickers visible which is why i removed them and kept them in the package. with the newest kit I only removed the visible stickers.

the one stick that is dim with the newest kit does NOT have the stickers removed and is labeled as version 4.23 even though the gold lettering on the pcb matches that of my first kit.

here are the pictures of two of the sticks from the newest kit.

this one is bright

the bright sticks have the gold marking of 50-002376

this is one stick from the new kit that does NOT have the stickers removed, the sticker shows ver 4.23 yet the pcb reads 50-002364 the same as my existed kit which is dim and of a bluish color.

I have in my possession 2 kits of 4x4 ram.

4 marked version 5.29 and 4 marked 4.23

I SHOULD be seeing 4 sticks properly lit and 4 dim which is why this had been so confusing.

Once laying the sticks all out I realized I have 5 sticks of version 5.29 and 3 sticks of version 4.23 how does that happen?

the only way i get to see my pc the way I was expecting from corsairs photos is in overexposed pictures...

Last edited by samuraijack13; 01-15-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 PM

POST ID # = 886810

please speak to management.

I have confidence Corsair wants this issue addressed.

You packaged 3 sticks of ram that are bright and 1 stick of ram that does not light up properly, this is poor quality control on corsairs part.

some stickers were removed from two of the BRIGHT sticks which is not the issue, which i documented and can easily be put back on. NONE of the stickers have been removed from the poorly lit stick which IS IMPROPERLY LABELED BY CORSAIR.

you have already stated to me that and I quote

" Created By: Arturo T S (1/14/2017 8:37 PM)
We only guarantee the kit itself will have the brightness MATCHING OF THE REST OF THE MODULES IN ITSELF, other kits are not guaranteed to work together not have the same intensity of light exactly.

stand by your words please.

the ram stick in question has NOT BEEN ALTERED IN ANY WAY.

also one of the brightly lit sticks has also not been modified in any way it is the serial number just prior to the one you sent mis matched.

164904935699424 bright UNMODIFIED

164904935699425 dim UNMODIFIED

I am hoping CORSAIR comes through.

I have always been a fan of theirs, but if this goes south I will NEVER purchase another Corsair product again.

I currently own their
AX1200i with a noisy fan and coil whine I choose to live with
M65 PRO mouse which I love and is a replacement to my M65 vengeance which I gave away to a friend.
8 sticks of RAM that is currently the issue
H80iGT that I like.

I am documenting this here so that others can see how CORSAIR treats their customers.

I truly hope it ends positive and to both of our satisfaction.

Last edited by samuraijack13; 01-16-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:18 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 886846
Wired Reputation: 32

See the sticky on how to read the memory module's information label. Any version can be made at any time. Are you attempting to link LED and/or PCB changes exclusively to version numbers?

Did you read the warranty before removing the information labels? How many modules did you remove them from?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 01-16-2017, 09:49 AM

POST ID # = 886909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
See the sticky on how to read the memory module's information label. Any version can be made at any time. Are you attempting to link LED and/or PCB changes exclusively to version numbers?

Did you read the warranty before removing the information labels? How many modules did you remove them from?
thank you for the link but I do know how to read the labels.

I am just wanting the 8 sticks of ram to light up properly because after installing the light bar kits this is what I saw...

of my first kit I documented their orientation and removed all labels re applying them to the package they came in.

the newest kit was on back order and just arrived last week. Of that kit only two modules have labels removed and 2 do not. the dim stick has both stickers on it and has not been modified in any way. The rest of the sticks in this newest kit are fully bright.

the first kit all leds are dim but match

of the second kit 3 are bright and one is dim matching the older kit EXACTLY.

I am an honest person, I am not trying to pull anything shady here.

as a member of Million Dollar PC I take pride in building PC's and appreciate making them look good. I tried to improve the look of my PC and this is where things are at now.

Last edited by samuraijack13; 01-16-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:17 PM

POST ID # = 887756

NCIX sent a replacement kit today.

As I was assuming the gold letters in MY opinion mean something.

My previous kit was just over a year old. The three bottom sticks... the pcb has gold letters 50-002364 marked version 5.29

the kit i received JUST last week had the one dimly lit stick marked with arrows and has the correct serial number on it, is marked accordingly version 4.23 the gold numbers on the pcb are 50-002364

The kit that just arrived are the top 4 and are ALL marked 50-002376 in gold numbers on the pcb this time and are ALL fully lit.

NCIX listened, understood, and responded in a fair manner.

Last edited by samuraijack13; 01-20-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:20 PM

POST ID # = 889522

could not stand the old ram stick looking so dim

SAME issue jappens again from a kit i just purchased from NCIX from a brand new stock order.

three pcbs have the 50-002376 gold numbers and are BRIGHT

one is dim like my OLD ram and has the 50-002364 gold numbers

Corsair is obviously shipping out the ram mis matched and its a guessing game if you get all 4 sticks with the bright leds in them

here we go for yet another RMA....