Corsair Community

Another P9X79E-WS set up question

MickJJ

I changing parts of my current set up to build a workstation with

Motherboard Asus P9X79-E WS

Processor Xenon E5 2630 v2 6 core

Corsair Quad Channel 1600mhz memory

Corsair AX860i power supply

Adding a Corsair Force Series 128GB for storing the operating system on only.

Quadro 4000 GPU

I am keeping my current, case, optical drive and hard drives.

Before I finalize my ram options I was wondering if any one could give me a little advice on any differences and what is the more up to date Corsair RAM I have identified..

I note that the Xenon will only take RAM up to 1600mhz

and that Corsair have matched the following 1600mhz to the Asus Motherboard

CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9

CML16GX3M4X1600C8

Asus have also matched these two modules to their board.

The C9 module for BIOS 1406

The C8 module for BIOS 1001

Apart from the BIOS version, are there any other differences between the two?

Is there a time difference between the two i.e. one a newer profile to the other?

I see from Scan computer who sell the C9 module they mention X79 and 2nd generation platform. Unfortunately they do not sell the C8, but I would be happy to go else where if it was felt this is a better module.

They do have other Corsair C9 modules but their Model Numbers are slightly different to those identified in the Memory finder / Asus motherboard compatibility and I was wondering, what, if any, the difference was and would they be compatible.

I have enlarged and made bold the differences in the other C9 modules Scan Computers sell against the one identified by Memory Finder and Asus Motherboard compatible memory.

CML16GX3M4A1600C9

CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

Thank you for any help / advice you are able to offer.

You have basically picked all the same memory. The CML are just low profile modules. CMZ is just the standard Vengeance heatspreader. The only difference between the CL8 and CL9 kit is that the CL8 part number would be slightly faster at the same speed. Nothing you would ever notice in real world performance ,especially with two CPU's.

I see from Scan computer who sell the C9 module they mention X79 and 2nd generation platform. Unfortunately they do not sell the C8, but I would be happy to go else where if it was felt this is a better module.

It's all marketing hype. ANY of Corsairs DDR3 memory would be 100% compatible with your motherboard. Some kits may not have been specifically tested because it is impossible and very expensive to test them all.

If your looking for the most up to date memory the Veangeance Pro's and Dominator Platinums were designed and tested on the latest Intel chipsets.

You would need to take the BIOIS questions to ASUS. Sorry!

BTW are you and sweepe the same user?

Thank you for that.

I am not surprised at the reply and was sort of expecting that, but felt I should check before proceeding.

I originally wanted to go for the Dominator but could find 1600mhz version - the max identified for Xeon CPU. Putting in higher will work but will not achieve the speed.

Archived