Corsair Community

New SandForce Firmware for Corsair Force drives - release date?

Micha2k

Hi there,

SandForce has released a new mass production firmware, version 3.2.0.

As the Force drives are being shipped with 3.1.0, I would like to ask if you plan to offer an update and if yes, when.

Other vendors already started to roll out the updates (I'm most certainly not allowed to post their names here).

Thank you in advance.

Good question. Based upon the other firmware releases Corsair's done for some of the other series, I'd theorize that the new firmware (and the firmware updater tool if provided by SandForce) would have to pass their own internal testing first.

The only thing I know about the new firmware is that it introduced problems with Gigabyte Motherboards (SMART incompatibility). Maybe Corsair is skipping version 3.2.0 and waiting until all bugs are fixed (yeah, you can never fix all bugs...).

But I would like to hear a definitive answer from Corsair about this (and I think other would also like to) ;)

It's a start, you might only get BSOD with trim on, i still get Bsod with trim on or off

go figuer. Not using ssd anymore and guess what no Bsod's at all.

Yeah component's are individual's. In ~5 component prduct + software's, oh boy. :eek:

So you know for sure Corsair will release 3.2.0?

I don't, and that is why I'm asking.

Corsair does not provide an update for every new firmware version, see here.

Actually, I am with you. wakaka~

Normally, other manufacturers receive that latest firmware from the SSD controller. They do something on the firmware and then release for the end user.

But, Corsair doesn't do that after their release the 1819 which is firmware 2.0 for extreme Series SSD. I wonder if they are going to release for all the sandforce ssd~

For the owener of corsair SSD, if you are waiting the latest firmware, good luck then~

i've just review SSD F60 with firmware 1.0 so it has speed read/write 285MB/s vs 272MB/s via ATTO disk benchmark, i tried to get tool update firmware for it but i couldn't get tool. I searched and i read a document about firmware of Sandforce for Corsair Force series firmware 1.0 is newest.

Please read the following update from RAM GUY. The portion regarding firmwares relates to this thread. We will update the forum as we make progress.

We understand that people are getting impatient on this issue, and I’m sorry we have not been able to provide a solution yet. Let me give you a summary of what we currently know.

First of all, we have received enough drives back to perform some meaningful analysis, and we have, in fact, been able to re-create this failure mode. However, drives that fail on a problem system work fine on other systems. It appears to be some sort of compatibility issue that only appears on a very rare combination of hardware and software.

We have been spending lots of time in the lab trying to find out what causes the failure mode – I/O driver, motherboard manufacturer, CPU, PSU, OS version and settings, SSD firmware, etc. There are lots of variables, and we have not been able to determine yet what causes (or, what fixes) this issue.

We have been in close contact with Sandforce, and they are working on this issue as well. We have sent entire platforms to motherboard vendors to get their assistance on the problem. This is a compatibility problem and appears to affect a very small percentage of systems; the scarcity of the problem makes it very elusive and time consuming to resolve.

If we had a firmware version that appeared to solve the problem, we would certainly offer it here. But we do not want to do so until we can confirm that it improves things (and, in fact, does not make them worse).

We understand that it is extremely frustrating to experience problems like this on performance hardware. And, we understand that lack of information is equally frustrating. So, we will start posting a regular status update here on what progress we are making.

We certainly appreciate your patience, and are working hard to resolve this issue!

Hey, just some info,

just recieved my new Corsai F80. With firmware 1.1 (guess thats sanforce 3.2.0). Atto shows normal speed (270/285 on os), while crystal, hdtune etc looks horrible. smart dont seem to work normal.

No BSOD, and the drive seems to work perfectly... so far.

ACHI + Gigabyte DS4 MB,

Hoping for a firmware so we can use smart + other benchmark than ATTO.

Tom

Hey, just some info,

just recieved my new Corsai F80. With firmware 1.1 (guess thats sanforce 3.2.0). Atto shows normal speed (270/285 on os), while crystal, hdtune etc looks horrible. smart dont seem to work normal.

No BSOD, and the drive seems to work perfectly... so far.

ACHI + Gigabyte DS4 MB,

Hoping for a firmware so we can use smart + other benchmark than ATTO.

Tom

The firmware won't change the benchmark. The people that develop the benchmarks will need to update them for SSDs.

waht about S.M.A.R.T?

We are working on this and at this time I am sorry I have no further information that what has already been stated.. When we do have an update it will be posted in the Firmware section.

Please read the following update from RAM GUY. The portion regarding firmwares relates to this thread. We will update the forum as we make progress.

We understand that people are getting impatient on this issue, and I’m sorry we have not been able to provide a solution yet. Let me give you a summary of what we currently know.

First of all, we have received enough drives back to perform some meaningful analysis, and we have, in fact, been able to re-create this failure mode. However, drives that fail on a problem system work fine on other systems. It appears to be some sort of compatibility issue that only appears on a very rare combination of hardware and software.

We have been spending lots of time in the lab trying to find out what causes the failure mode – I/O driver, motherboard manufacturer, CPU, PSU, OS version and settings, SSD firmware, etc. There are lots of variables, and we have not been able to determine yet what causes (or, what fixes) this issue.

We have been in close contact with Sandforce, and they are working on this issue as well. We have sent entire platforms to motherboard vendors to get their assistance on the problem. This is a compatibility problem and appears to affect a very small percentage of systems; the scarcity of the problem makes it very elusive and time consuming to resolve.

If we had a firmware version that appeared to solve the problem, we would certainly offer it here. But we do not want to do so until we can confirm that it improves things (and, in fact, does not make them worse).

We understand that it is extremely frustrating to experience problems like this on performance hardware. And, we understand that lack of information is equally frustrating. So, we will start posting a regular status update here on what progress we are making.

We certainly appreciate your patience, and are working hard to resolve this issue!

Please read page 1 of this thread.

• 1 month later...
The last update of this thread was a month ago, any updates in the matter?

Yes, well this thread was initially referring to Sandforce version 3.2.0. Corsair has been using Sandforce version 3.2.0 in the Force series for a while (firmware 1.1).

It's the next release that everyone is waiting for now.

1.1's not publicly available, so it's still referring to that release. It is already available on new drives from the factory, and there is/was a limited beta test of the firmware update tool.

This is wrong information, After the end of August or the beginning of September, all F-series have version of 1.1.

I am sorry but you are mistaken, please read through the forum you will see I have posted several times Force Series Drives manufactured since last month will have Firmware Version 1.1. The utility to update the Firmware has not been released at this time but we given it out on request as BETA.

Please I am not getting on you just making sure the proper information is posted. :cool:

This is wrong information, After the end of August or the beginning of September, all F-series have version of 1.1.

Why is it wrong information? 1.1 is not publicly available, ie. somebody cannot download it and install it themselves without first requesting a beta trial of the update tool.

Archived