Corsair Community

Overclocking FX 8350 with Corsair Hydro H100i doubts

Hello,

I recently builded my new middle range rig. My intentions are of overclocking but when I ran a Prime 95 stress test with my stock clock for almost 40 minutes I had a 57°C for the CPU. I want to know if this is safe or if is something wrong with the thermal paste. I installed my H100i with the pre applied thermal paste because I read it's good quality. Here's a capture of the test and the values after 40 minutes.

http://i.imgur.com/s4sLloL.jpg

I believe where HWMonitor lists CPU and you had 57 degrees its refering to the socket temp and not the core temp, so I wouldent imagine its your TIM (I found the TIM on the H100i to be very good).

What kind of airflow do you have around the socket, and at the back of the socket?

Maybe because it is not black edition. Mine is FX8350 BE and I overclocked it until 5.0 GHz with a considerable 30°C. I returned to the stock configuration to long my CPU. Now I'm havin 15°C.

You may want to check your temp using other monitors as 15c isn't likely...

Maybe because it is not black edition. Mine is FX8350 BE and I overclocked it until 5.0 GHz with a considerable 30°C. I returned to the stock configuration to long my CPU. Now I'm havin 15°C.

If u only have 15°C then there's something wrong with the temp sensor on your cpu. Known issue with many AMD cpu. It is impossible for any cpu to run lower then ambient temperature. Unless with chilled water, ln2, phase change or any other extreme means of cooling.

I added tow more fans to my H100i, which were higher CFM, and static pressure. I put them on the "push" side, and the stock fans on the "pull" side, venting the unit through the top of the Master Cooler case I use for my Crosshair V Formula-Z, AMD 8350 Vishera Black Edition. I've been able to hit 5Ghz, but not completely stable because the 32Gb of G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz mem. In any case, I never saw temps above 48C, even at 5Ghz. Check your Corsair Link status, and make sure that the multiplier setting is correct on the Corsair H100i Temp monitor. Also, allow Corsair to control pumps, and fans. DO NOT depend on AI Suite to set these parameters. Make sure you are pushing the hot air "out" of the case, as I saw someone posting to push it back in....rule of thumb-Heat rises, and any time heat is pushed back into the case, you WILL have heat issues on many part of your board. Make sure you have more CFM and static pressure going in, than out. This forces fresh, cool air in, and helps considerably. I would also check the paste again after making sure the Corsiar Link has taken control of all I mentioned. Use Asus AI Suite "only" to check temps. AI Suite has bugs, as it will pop up on occasion and tell me my 3.3v is @ 1.1. In which case, the machine would automatically shut down if this were indeed true. I find the temperature readings to be consistent however on the AI Suite, as compared to Corsair Link. You may need to re-apply a very small amount of paste, and re-attach the cooling unit. If you apply a very small amount, it can show you where there may be gaps between the CPU and the pump unit. If you find that full contact is not being make, make sure you attach the cooling unit correctly, and again, apply only a small amount of past to check for "dead" space between CPU and cooling unit. It's possible the cooler is not mounted correctly, or, there is a design flaw (rare) on one, or both parts. Make sure "all" Corsair equipment is running at no less than "Performance" levels, and test temps again. Good Luck!

I'm using the fx8350 and the asus crosshair v formula z. I'm overclocked at 4.8ghz with 1.468750 volts with load line calibration on high. I'm also using the corsair h105 in push/pull set up in exhaust. I'm using two sp120's and the bottom of the rad and af120's on top of the rad. I ran prime95 for 1 hour and my max temp was 64c with all fans on high.

sidenote: i have the extra 4 pin power cable connected on the mobo. Also, all power saving features are turned off in the UEFI.

Archived