Corsair Community

Firmware Update for Neutron GTX 120GB ???

aswaim6134

They've only been available for purchase for a couple of days, so yes, they have up to date firmware :) There is only one firmware for them - the one they come with.

Lol. I had no idea they had only been on the market a few days. That would make sense then. Thanks.

I hope all the kinks are worked out in that case because I am about to load my HTPC OS on it today. I just read that you should always make sure you have the latest version of the firmware which is what led me here. Aside from that and ensuring that you have set AHCI mode in the BIOS it seems pretty straight forward.

Ok...so I am having a odd issue and maybe you guys can help me. I was able to install the Neutron GTX just fine and loaded Windows on it no problem so everything is peaches and cream. Since I am only planning on running the OS and programs from the SSD I bought a 3TB mech HDD that I plan to rip movies to and store all my media etc. I bought the Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001.

After reading on the web I realized the way to utilize the full 3TB of the drive was to format it as a GTP drive. This worked just fine and now Windows can see the full 3TB but the problem is that now the system is getting confused between the SSD and the mech HDD. What I mean by that is that every time I restart the system it goes to the black screen with the blinking cursor because the system is trying to boot from the Seagate vs. the Corsair Neutron.

I can't tell you how many times I have went into the BIOS and made sure that the the ONLY boot option available is the SSD, I have tried making it the number 1 option with the other hard drive as number 2 etc...etc...I have tried every configuration and no matter what I do it tries to revert back to the Seagate as the number 1 boot option.

Also even when I have the OS booted up on the SSD it runs slowly and gets hung up and applications don't respond. The minute I take the mech HDD out everything runs smoothly again.

Any advice on this problem is greatly appreciated. I know this isn't a Seagate forum but everyone seems pretty knowledgeable so I am hoping someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employee

I would suggest speaking with the MB manufacturer and see if they have any suggestions but that would maybe suggest a BIOS issue.

But if the system runs properly with only the SSD installed then I am not sure what we would be able to do. What S-ASTA Controller Port do you have our SSD connected to and what Port do you have the Seagate drive connected?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Neutron and am very exited this is my first SSD, fingers crossed.

@aswaim6134 sounds like you need to go into the motherboard BIOS and reset device boot priority. Make sure it is checking the SSD first. Does it boot with just the SSD plugged in?

I can't tell you how many times I have went into the BIOS and made sure that the the ONLY boot option available is the SSD, I have tried making it the number 1 option with the other hard drive as number 2 etc...etc...I have tried every configuration and no matter what I do it tries to revert back to the Seagate as the number 1 boot option.

Interesting! This is exactly the problem I was talking about here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=111186

Is this an ASUS mobo? I have torn out quite a bit of hair trying to run this problem down, but the BIOS is DETERMINED to boot from the wrong partition sometimes.

One thing I tried (out of desperation, not out of any logic) with some inexplicable success was to disconnect the SATA-connected DVD writer. If you have one, you might try that.

• Corsair Employee
One issue I have ran into with these drives is that on AMD at least they do not run well in IDE model they must use AHCI. Do you have the controller set to AHCI in the MB BIOS and what port on the MB do you have both drives connected to?

Archived